In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I'll miss him forever.

shooter4shooter4 Member Posts: 4,457
edited April 2003 in General Discussion
I didn't want to post this because I didn't want to put this on anybody else because if you have been there, it might bring back your hurt.

Also, over the past couple of days I have gotten many calls, emails and visits from family and friends to tell my how sorry they were. The hurt continues, it all helps but the hurt continues. You gotta love the responser's support and its one of those things you'll never forget, but I don't care what anybody says, it freaken hurts.

But, I've responded to many posts here regarding things that brought hurt to other other members and I gave my support and feelings, so I thought I'd post this anyway.

I've done enough research to learn that that the grievance process takes time and support helps.

My pooch, Jasper, a male, red Doberman was going on 14 years old. He has had more than his share of medical problems over the past couple of years and they finally caught up with him.

Maybe you remember me posting a pic a month or so ago of me feeding him a freedom fry from my mouth to his.

His heart has been going south for a couple of years. The Vet and I kept doing whatever it took to keep him happy with a good quality of life.

Well, to make a long story short, he started having trouble walking and standing. I had to have the Vet put him down on Friday, and after the deed was done, the Vet told me that he would have done the same thing to his own pooch.

He passed with dignity.

I'll miss him forever.

Dam, it still hurts me and mommashooter4, probably will for awhile.

Thanks.

Comments

• kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear it, lost a dog awhile back as well, he was 17 though so it was kinda anticipated. Best wishes and hope y'all feel better soon.[:(]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • sodbustersodbuster Member Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    shooter4:
    I still miss my springer, Thunder. When you lose a part of your family like Jasper it's tough. Try also to remember what a good friend he was and nobody should suffer,,not even your best friend.
    Sorry for the loss of your friend (and family), Jasper.,,,sod

"We have therefore to resolve to conquer or die: Our won Country's
    Honor, all call upon us for vigorous and manly exertion, and if we
    now shamefully fail, we shall become infamous to the whole world.
    Let us therefore rely upon the goodness of the Cause, and the
    aid of the supreme Being, in whose hands Victory is, to animate
    and encourage us to great and noble Actions." --George Washington

praying.jpg
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear of your loss. We had to put our 17 year old cat down a few months back and yes it is difficult, like losing a member of the family. Just as with any loss it gets better with time.

Hang in there shooter4...

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Liberals....
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    shooter4, You have my sympathies! Been There, Done That! Didn't have to wait for a rainstorm to soften the dirt where I dug the graves, tears soften dirt too! GHD
  • RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is little one person can say to another when they have lost their dog.......but, possibly the following may help some:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

And now you can cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
  • SP TigerSP Tiger Member Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My sympathies to you. My pets are like my family also. My defense of cats and dogs here in the past prompted one user to indirectly accuse me of being a PETA type, which I'm not, but I don't care. Pets love you unconditionally and it hurts an awful lot to lose one.

Better to have and not need, than need and not have.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SP Tiger said it well. Many of us have lost beloved and treasured pets, and you are right you will never forget this pal, and as you know the hurt will at least fade with time.

consider the great years you had together and all of the memories you will also always have. Though it is trite, it is true: Better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all.

My sincere sympathies, I still have bad moments from one lost 4 years ago. I suggest a new one before you think you are ready.
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    I am so sorry!!! Im sure you will have many good memories.

pablue.gif

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • mousemouse Member Posts: 3,624
    edited November -1
    i'm sorry your dog has died! I still miss my Border-Collie Buckwheat.
    Everyday.[:(]
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Shooter4,

Had a red Dobie named Bud. Lost him at 10 to a enlarged heart. He was like a one of my children. He meet me every day when I got home from work, and would defend the family to the death. I miss him still!

Measure twice, cut once.
    calipers_open_close_md_wht.gif
    Empty the clip!
    smoking_gun_md_wht.gif
  • njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Ken, most of us who have lost pets from time to time understand your pain. They are like members of the family. You are right to grieve for him. Time will heal the loss, but you will never forget.

Blue_car.gif

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Good post RancheroPaul,

Shooter4,
    know the hurt bigtime, nothing to do but bring a new little bundle in from the pound. It'll do you both good.

Condolences.
  • nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    I'm writing in the present tense because I believe with all my heart that if God puts value on a lowly human, then He must also value and reward our most faithful of friends. After all, these creatures teach us about true friendship, love, giving, and trust.

Ask yourself this... Who of your closest friends would lay down their life for you? What friend would gladly trust you to decide the end of their worldly trek? Who would give up everything without question just to make your life a little better?

Your act was not murder (as much as it may seem so right now). It was the final act of love that you could give your friend, an act of mercy and compassion. Your friend is aware. Of that I'm convinced.

I believe God sends us these tests. Perhaps by watching us love and loose our beloved friends He sees us grow stronger. Perhaps in extending compassion to our lesser friends we grow closer to Him.

I don't know the details of our eventual reunion. I can't describe what may come. All I can say is that I hope I'm as deserving as they in the eyes of the Master.

Nord
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear about your loss. My German Shepherd's been dead for over ten years now and I still miss her sometimes.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very sorry to hear that shooter4. Pets can be the hardest thing to let go of.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    Shooter4,
    Those who've never had one find it hard to believe, but there is no dog better than a dobie.
    I've been blessed with a couple in my life.
    One of them was even pretty damn good at kicking up pheasants for the shotgun, but none has lived as long as your friend.
    You were lucky to have him as long as you did.
    It sounds like he spent his life in good company as well.
  • RusticwaterRusticwater Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unconditional, trusting love. Better than most people. You have my deepest sympathy for your loss.

lobster-clear.gifClose to God, far away from everyone else.
    My wife...yes. My dog...maybe. My gun...NEVER!
    greeting
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry for your loss of a familey member. I read your post and had to reflect on the day when my dog has his time. I started to get teary eyed, on the thought.

My best, I know he was a good son and friend.

Time will heal [:)]

hsas157x100.gif
    gun1.gif

God Bless our Troops
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear of your loss..... They are members of the family, and it hurts so much.....
    Dobermans are wonderful...loyal, loving..gentle...they have been given a bad rap in the past and present, one they dont deserve...

Cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shooter, a good dog is your child and your best friend in one. I've had to ease the passing of several; I know they were happier than I to go on. Just thinking about my old friends brings tears to my eyes. It really sucks that their lives are so short when they give so much to us. You did the right thing, as much as it hurts. Even though I'm confirmed hetero, I have a strong hug for ya, amigo.

Guess my mutt will get some special attention the next few days; he''s not long for this earth, either.
  • rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sorry to hear about your loss.
    and yes, good post ranchero
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear of your loss. A pet is much more of a family member than some (not me) want to admit. Time and loving memories are the only things I know to temper the grief.

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
  • BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    Sorry man - the loss of a good friend is hard to take at any time. Our 2 dogs sleep with our 2 children, and I just dread the day that one of those muts has to part....

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hurt for you. Dogs are some of God's best work.

Old? First you forget names; then you forget faces; then you forget to pull your zipper up; then you forget to pull your zipper down.
    standard.jpg
  • greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    Shooter

Have had parallel feelings as I have had to take down 3 pets over the years. MAny will tell you to replace immediately, others will say wiat till the pain subsides. All that notwithstanding, the pain is real and takes time to heal over the loss, regardless, the fact that you replace or not.
  • ClairClair Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my best friend (of 13 yrs.)a few years ago.I got this in the mail and it helped me.

Remembering an old friend

I remember bringing you home. You were so small and cuddly with your tiny paws and soft fur. You bounced around the room with eyes flashing and ears flopping. Once in a while, you'd let out a little yelp, just to let me know this was your territory. Making a mess of the house and chewing on everything in sight became a passion, and when I scolded you, you just put your head down and looked up at me with those innocent eyes, as if to say, " I'm sorry, but I'll do it again as soon as you're not watching."
    As you got older, you protected me by looking out the window and barking at everyone who walked by. When I had a tough day at work, you would be waiting for me with your tail wagging just to say, "Welcome home. I missed you." You never had a bad day, and I could always count on you to be there for me. When I sat down to read the paper and watch TV, you would hop on my lap, looking for attention. You never ask for anything more than to have me pat your head so you could go to sleep with your head over my leg.
    As you got older, you moved around more slowly. Then, one day, old age finally took its toll, and you couldn't stand on those wobbly legs anymore. I knelt down, and patted you lying there, trying to make you young again. You just looked at me as if to say you were tired and that after all these years of not asking for anything, you had to ask me for one last favor.
    With tears in my eyes, I drove you one last time to the vet. One last time , you were lying next to me. For some strange reason, you were able to stand up in the animal hospital; perhaps it was your sense of pride. As the vet lead you away, you stopped for an instant, turned your head and looked at me as if to say, "Thank you for taking care of me." I thought, "No, thank you for taking care of me."
  • 4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    Sorry about your loss and I know how you feel. I have gone through it several times and it is never easy. After my last dog was killed in a car accident I didn't think Id want another dog. It was like loosing a family member and I was a genuine mess. My wife talked me into getting another boxer pup, thats been 2 years ago now. I still miss my old buddy dog but the love and friendship of a pup was just what the doctor ordered. Again Id like to say Im sorry. Scott D.

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."
  • gunboobgunboob Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't post too much any more,...mostly due to indifference, I suppose. Once in a great while I feel drawn in,...like now.
    It don't look as though time is easing any feelings here,...it has been about a year and a half since our traumatic happening,...with hardly no let-up evident.

Shortly after the happening, the vet sent us a card that was quite impressive. I'm not gonna go and look it up, I know my wife's got it taped on the side of the refridgerator, but,...I never go look at it.
    I'll just try to relate it from memory.......

"Don't grieve,...but smile. Laugh, as when I was with you, for, my time with you was heaven".

Bob
  • shooter4shooter4 Member Posts: 4,457
    edited November -1
    I am at a loss for words reading all of the sincere, thoughtful words of support from all of you.

So I'll just say a big thanks, you folks really helped alot.

Ken
  • beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tough loss...not a lot of words to make it easier; but I come from the group that says get a new puppy in the house that rekindles the feelings and love that your first dog brought you. Hard to get upset at a new puppie's piddle when you remember back to your old dog's first days...pretty soon you are loving that new dog like you did your devoted old friend. Beach
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,223 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am very sorry to hear of your dog. You did the right thing.
    I had a little dog that died, it was ten years ago now that I think of it. I can't bear to even type her name, or to write any more about it.