In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Virginia Whitetails~ 12 point down! (pics)

DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
edited December 2018 in General Discussion
I hope you all that hunt are having a good season. I got a 12 point in the mountains with the muzzleloader. I have been hunting a nice 8 point that I have gotten on the trail camera, but he is nocturnal. I also have a Seneca doe that I have been seeing for 4 years. She is like an albino, but has a black nose and black hooves instead of pink nose and pink hooves. Supposedly these deer are just white deer and not a albino at all. I have let her walk many times and will not shoot her. I am amazed she has made it this long as this area gets pretty heavy hunting pressure. Here are a few pics. Happy holidays to all! Don
B7bG7juh.jpg
VF6AZKbh.jpg
VeNkeY4h.jpg

Comments

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope you put that one on a wall.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,227 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What did you shoot him with?
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    What did you shoot him with?

50 caliber Lyman Mustang muzzleloader.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I never heard of the Lyman Mustang before but I just looked it up.
    That looks like a real deer slayer. Are you shooting sabots?
    Do you use a scope? What was the range?
  • Options
    jerrywh818jerrywh818 Member Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In Oregon that is a six point
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,995 ******
    edited November -1
    Nice,good job,,,[^][^][^]
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    Very nice. Congrats.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dayum! He shot Bullwinkle! [:p]

Don, that is a GREAT buck! Mind if I ask where in VA? I'm in Powhatan VA- smaller deer- but a LOT of them!
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That kind of pigmentation is usually called leucisim. It results from the reduction of several pigments, but not the total lack of pigments.
  • Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In some states, it is illegal to shoot a white deer. Very hefty fine. You can thank the tree hugging/ wildlife hugging crowd for this.They would prefer to ban ALL hunting, nut they will take what they can get.
    Nice deer!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    Dayum! He shot Bullwinkle! [:p]

Don, that is a GREAT buck! Mind if I ask where in VA? I'm in Powhatan VA- smaller deer- but a LOT of them!

I got him in Smyth County. I hail from Chesterfield, so we are close. My sister lives in Powhatan- small world.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I never heard of the Lyman Mustang before but I just looked it up.
    That looks like a real deer slayer. Are you shooting sabots?
    Do you use a scope? What was the range?

Allen, The Lyman Mustang is a tack driver. I use 80 grains of 777 (granulated not pellets) pushing a 385 grain Hornady Great Plains conical. It will cut holes at 100 yards. Has a internal hammer. The most accurate muzzleloader I have owned. Using a scope he was about 80 yards away. Dropped in his tracks and never moved.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GreatGuns
    Also known as a "Six-by-Six" (6x6) if he's an even tine count on both sides. At least that's how they're scored in most of the western states I've hunted all my life (Montana, Washington, Wyoming, Idaho, Nevada, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, up in Canada and Alaska) and I'm sure I missed some. [^]

I noticed that east of the Rockies, they refer to a buck by the total points on both sides and west of the Rockies, they only count half the rack when describing a deer. A 12 point to them would be a 24 point to us here in the east[:D]!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kannoneer
    In some states, it is illegal to shoot a white deer. Very hefty fine. You can thank the tree hugging/ wildlife hugging crowd for this.They would prefer to ban ALL hunting, nut they will take what they can get.
    Nice deer!

In Virginia, they encourage you to take the white deer because they say they are bad for the gene pool. Honestly, I couldn't pull the trigger on her. I enjoy watching her and she is at such a disadvantage due to her glowing color. Amazing she has has made it this long.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don- it IS a small world. Used to hunt with a friend just south of Smyth over in Grayson County.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DONDALINGER
    quote:Originally posted by GreatGuns
    Also known as a "Six-by-Six" (6x6) if he's an even tine count on both sides. At least that's how they're scored in most of the western states I've hunted all my life (Montana, Washington, Wyoming, Idaho, Nevada, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, up in Canada and Alaska) and I'm sure I missed some. [^]

I noticed that east of the Rockies, they refer to a buck by the total points on both sides and west of the Rockies, they only count half the rack when describing a deer. A 12 point to them would be a 24 point to us here in the east[:D]!!

In North Dakota that is a 6 pointer. We are East of the Rockies.
  • Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    VERY Nice rack on that 12 point.

Congrats Sir.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Eighty grains of triple 7, and a 385 grain conical lead slug.
    One inch groups at a hundred.
    Good God that sounds like dead deer 100 percent of the time.

Matter of fact on a chest shot that would be hard for a Grizzly to recover from.

I have shot a few deer and hogs with a .58 minie ball in my the War of Northern Aggression Zouave, it is somewhere up in the 350 grain plus range and it really knocks 'em dead.
    I was using only 60 grains of powder like they did in the War of Northern Aggression .
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Eighty grains of triple 7, and a 385 grain conical lead slug.
    One inch groups at a hundred.
    Good God that sounds like dead deer 100 percent of the time.

Matter of fact on a chest shot that would be hard for a Grizzly to recover from.

I have shot a few deer and hogs with a .58 minie ball in my the War of Northern Aggression Zouave, it is somewhere up in the 350 grain plus range and it really knocks 'em dead.
    I was using only 60 grains of powder like they did in the War of Northern Aggression .

The 60 grain load was referred to as a "service" load. I guess to save powder? It will certainly get the job done. I have a old .58 caliber Thompson Firehawk in .58 caliber and have been trying to work up a accurate load for it. I tried the .58 caliber minie, but it was .575 and just slid down the barrel. I cast some 440 grain Lee R.E.A.L conicals, but have not gotten real good accuracy with them. The .58 caliber sure does pack a wallop.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My Zouave was pretty accurate with minie balls and the 60 grains. Probably 3 inch groups at 100.
    However down here in Georgia my average distance of shot on a deer kill was 45 yards so the Zouave was pretty good.
    I shot 3 deer and a couple pigs with the Zouave and my buddy shot a couple deer with it. Great deer killer and better than the 30-06 for sure.

Then, one day at the range, I fired and it went POOF.
    Used the short starter. Didn't' use the ramrod.
    Ball popped out about 20 feet and rolled around on the ground.

And it was bye bye to that barrel. You couldn't see any damage but it bulged the barrel and accuracy was gone.

Anyway I had other muzzle loaders to hunt with but I always liked that Zouave. Beautiful rifle.