In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tenant woes

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2013 in General Discussion
My Tenant had their Gas and electric shut off last week. I was down there doing some yard work yesterday and noticed a lock on the gas meter. I called the gas co. and they told me that the tenants were 2,000 in the rears. The electric co told me they were 4,000 in the rears but would turn on the electric if I got them on a payment schedule. I called the tenants and told them to skip this months rent and get the gas and electric back on. They have 5 kids. They can't be taking cold showers and have no electric. I also don't want my pipes freezing this winter. They are really good tenants and always pay the rent on time. She has breast cancer and lost her job. I really feel sorry for these people. Donna and I will do the best we can to help out without hurting ourselves. Damn, Just damn it.

Comments

• Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is a very nice thing to do.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your one in a million, and you wont loose a thing in the long run. You remind me of a wealthy friend who owned a Pizza franchise and several rental property's. You wouldnt know he had a dime but he was one of the best men Ive ever known. He would help his tenants that tried to help theirselves, he would give them a job at one of the pizza shops to get them on their feet. He passed away 3 months ago to mesothelomia(SP) from being in the Navy. RIP my friend, its good to hear they are still more like him.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You and your wife are good people.
  • Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    People like you make this world a better place.

Dan
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An unfortunate situation but just another reason why I'd never be a landlord.
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oakie... From someone who's been on the tenant side of the fence...
    You're a good man.

Since they're paying the rent on time... It seems obvious to me that there's more month than money in that household.
    And they realize that a roof over their heads is priority one... Along with food in the kids belly.

You may want to check into what community services are available to them.
    Additionally, you may be able to offer them reduced rental fees and get the difference paid through community services.

IMO... You are a good land lord... And a good thing they are your tenants.

Could easily be otherwise...
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is very nice of you... I am suprised the utility companies let anyone get that far behind.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    That really is great of U Oak.
    It would be impossible to get that far behind,here in Fl.They would have cut their utilities off WAYYyy before they owed that much dough.
    Good on'ya Oakie!!
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Good on you Oakie!
  • Options
    TheFonzTheFonz Member Posts: 125 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're a good man. About a month after my dad died of cancer, my mom passed of cancer. My landlord was kind enough to let us pass on that months rent. Two funerals in less than two months can be expensive, ill be thankful to that man forever.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good man, yes, good businessman, not so much. Having 5 kids you cannot afford is not too bright. Never had much luck with letting other people owe me money.
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slumlord44
    Good man, yes, good businessman, not so much. Having 5 kids you cannot afford is not too bright. Never had much luck with letting other people owe me money.

You did catch the part about the mom having cancer, right?

Showing some compassion in a particular situation doesn't make anyone a bad businessman. It makes them a decent human. You might want to make a note of that.

Thanks for being a good man, Oakie. The world needs all it can get.
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Might ask select-fire what he would do [;)]
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,239 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a landlord, too.

That is a tough call. Cancer. Can you verify that she really has cancer. We had some tenants that told us the wife had cancer and it was just a lie so they could scam people to whom they owed money.

If it is cancer you are in a fix. They are $6K behind just on gas and electric. How much more are they behind on credit cards, etc.

How much of your money are you willing to spend to support this family.

If you can afford it, God bless you but you could run up $10K or more in expenses before the smoke clears. Could run up to $20K.