In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

204 ruger

featheredcoyotefeatheredcoyote Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
edited February 2005 in General Discussion
I've been shooting this gun for about six months and absolutely fallen in love with the cartridge. It's a barn burner and a define improvement over the 17 hmr, which lacks ability to kill much, to bad it came out after the 17 hmr. Does anyone else agree with this summation.

Comments

• featheredcoyotefeatheredcoyote Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought one a couple of weeks ago and finaly got it out to shoot this weekend. All I can say is I am in LOVE with this round. It is explosive on targets. I can't wait to get it on some varmints.

Ray
  • featheredcoyotefeatheredcoyote Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone ever shoot one? What do you think of them?
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yes.

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • lenuelmp23lenuelmp23 Member Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    totaly. the 17hmr is fun to shoot but it wont kill any thing other than a squrial
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    Well I guess you naysayers need to resurrect over 200 groundhogs, a few foxes, uncounted crows all who have fallen to the lowly 17HMR at distances measured an witnessed out to 237 yards and tell them they ain't really dead!!!!! I like the .204 and have been shooting it about since it was first available and it is a totally different beast but I also like the 17 HMR for the astounding accurracy it delivers in a rimfire!!! Head and neck shots only!!! Don't take a body shot and expect to have DRT's....dead right there's!!! If you glass the 17HMR right, there is no reason to not take ONLY HEAD AND NECK SHOT!! GHD
  • Hunter375Hunter375 Member Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by featheredcoyote
    I've been shooting this gun for about six months and absolutely fallen in love with the cartridge. It's a barn burner and a define improvement over the 17 hmr, which lacks ability to kill much, to bad it came out after the 17 hmr. Does anyone else agree with this summation.

Apples and oranges, dude. That's like me comparing the .204 to my .375 Ultra Mag and saying "that useless .204 won't kill anything bigger than a coyote, but this here 300 grain slug runs out at 2962 FPS and will splatter a moose!"

If you want to compare it to something in the .17 caliber arena, use the .17 Rem.-it'll launch 25 gr. bullets at 4200 FPS. I'm not suggesting hte .204 is without merit, it's just not in the same class as the HMR or Mach2. And the .220 swift is still king for varmints.

It's easy to spot liberals-they are the ones who have no assets to protect and need every handout they can get. They have forbeyed themselves ascendence to a productive lifestyle.
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lenuelmp23
    totaly. the 17hmr is fun to shoot but it wont kill any thing other than a squrial

Au contraire, mon ami. The 17hmr is a deadly accurate and devastating prairie dog round. I have personally hunted them out to 150 yards with exceptional results. It's also a viable round for other small, fur-bearing game like rabbits. Though not recommended for it, I'va talked to a few coyote hunters that like the 17HMR because it leaves a pin hole going in and no exit wound. The HM2 is a great squirrel round, maybe you have the two confused?

"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro"
    Hunter S. Thompson"
  • ohioghogohioghog Member Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    6mm rem.[:p][:p][:p][:0]
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like both cartridges and there is room for both.I was looking in one of my Monthly magazines and came across an AR-15 clone chambered in the .204 Ruger with a 20 inch barrel.Could be interesting for match shooting?

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"