In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rugster...quick question...

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited April 2005 in General Discussion
What constitutes a "concealled weapon" in VA and what would seperate that belt buckle from a common knife...many people carry pocket knives.

Next question has to do with what would be the best way to get out of trouble if a LEO caught you with something that would constitute a concealled weapon...I'm talking about honest upstanding citizens...not criminals. I have often wondered if knives or "chucks" in my vehicle would get me in trouble.

Thanks![:)]

Eric

All American Arms Company

www.galleryofguns.com
VIP Code: AAAC

Veteran Owned and Operated

Comments

• NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im not a lawyer so I will tell you to the best of my ability the way the codes are in VA.A weapon can be almost anything,any object created to injure,mame,kill or inflict * harm on another individual is considered a weapon.In my 11yrs the only time Ive charged anyone for possesion of any of the above was when used in connection with a crime.There is alot in the books which are there mainly to add charges on to someone who have used one of the above mentioned in the commission of a crime.For example hitting someone with a tire iron or a 2x4 is assault with a deadly weapon.So even a tire iron or billy club can be considered a deadly weapon.When issued a Permit to carry a concealed handgun thats what the permit states its for handguns only.A common knife someone carries is not considered a concealed or a deadly weapon unless used in a attack against someone who is unarmed.Any Knife or edged weapon with a blade longer than 8 inches is prohibited,and is a Class I Misdemeanor to possess.Knumbchucks(SP)Daggers throwing stars and other edged weapons are also prohibited to have in possesion.This covers a very large spectrum of edged weapons.And is not intended to prohibit someone from transporting a sword they just purchased home,or to show to your buddy who lives in another town.Also some walking canes that have a blade attached to the handle is also illegal in VA.But I really cant imagine a LEO actually charging someone with any of the above unless they are used in commission of a crime.But they could, every State has their own laws and most of them are similar.In the event a LEO who does not know you and found you in possession of something illegal in the form of the type weapons we mention here would say nothing or ask you why you have it?In your case a honest answer will get you informed that they are illegal.And they are some Im sure who would make a issue out of it,confiscate the item and summons you to Court.They sale this stuff like its going out of style here at Flee Markets all the time.Ive been in uniform and walk through some to look for stolen items and seen them struggling to get the Marijuana pipes off their shelves.They actually meant absolutly nothing to me,same goes for the little roach clips some people hang from their rear view mirror.I will politely tell them its illegal in VA.to have anything hanging from their rear view mirror and would they mind takeing it down.But do be cautious find out from your local Law Enforcement Officials what the laws are in your area.I would really hate to see an honest law abideing citizen get their Rights * from under their nose because a LEO has had a bad day or an ego problem.HTH

Best!!

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the feedback. I've often wondered... One of the things (besides my CCW) I carry in my truck is a Kuhkri (made by Cold Steel), which has a LONG curved blade. I'm a contractor and I carry this for cutting back bushes that might be in the way while working on someone's house, or chipping away dirt that might be in the bark of trees I'm clearing with a chainsaw...and yes, in case I may ever need it for defense. It sits in a door compartment in my driver's door. I've wondered if I would get in trouble for having it...especially since it's a tool that I use for work. You might be suprised how handy it comes in.

Eric

All American Arms Company

www.galleryofguns.com
    VIP Code: AAAC

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have a 100% legitimate reason for haveing it in your vehicle.I cant imagine anyone giveing you a hard time about it.

Best!!

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"