In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ever use turbotax?

tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2007 in General Discussion
Doing the taxes is just beyond me anymore. I used to be able to use that EZ form you can use crayons on. But now with kids and a mortgage and investments, I just don't get it.
I started it this year and just gave up after a couple frustrating hours.
So my wife got turbotax and filled it all in. Looks like we get a refund this year, which is abnormal. She had forms and schedules I've never heard of. Maybe I've been doing it wrong all these years?
Do you guys have confidence in these tax programs or is she setting me up for a big wage-garnishing penalty?
Or should I get a turbotax from last year and let her amend that return?

Comments

• Options
    D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    I've used Turbo-Tax for years. I love it.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    use it every year
  • Options
    beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have used it for years. Current turbotax laying here on my desk for weeks
    I know I'll owe money so why hurry in filing.
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just tried using turbo tax today and it asked me to put something in a box without telling me where on my W2 I needed to look to find that number. Now I'm going to have to have a tax prep. buisness do it because the stupid software doesn't work nicely for tax free combat pay.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    turbo tax is easy, but if you have an old computer, new programs wont run in the old computers. i tried loading 2006 basic in my old 586 with WIN98 but it wouldnt take it.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,593 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tried it for the first time this year....Worked great, no problems. I intend to use it again next year.
  • Options
    tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by moonshine
    use it every year

+1 allways gets me a refund [:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7
    Just tried using turbo tax today and it asked me to put something in a box without telling me where on my W2 I needed to look to find that number. Now I'm going to have to have a tax prep. buisness do it because the stupid software doesn't work nicely for tax free combat pay.

Try TaxCut. It is essentially the same, but if I remember correctly, it tells you where to look on the W2 and it has the capability to correctly categorize combat pay.
  • Options
    Mo GritsMo Grits Member Posts: 312 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:So my wife got turbotax and filled it all in. Looks like we get a refund this year, which is abnormal. She had forms and schedules I've never heard of. Maybe I've been doing it wrong all these years?

Let your wife do it...I've used Turbo Tax for several years, it has a number of checks built in to make sure what your entering is ok ('course it has to be legit)...It will also flag anything that is somewhat questionable...
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HandgunHTR52
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7

Try TaxCut. It is essentially the same, but if I remember correctly, it tells you where to look on the W2 and it has the capability to correctly categorize combat pay.

Come to think of it, I think it was TaxCut from H&R Block that I tried using. It was fine until I got to the state tax info page.
  • Options
    pistoljimpistoljim Member Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used tax act for a few years now. It is all done on line. Fed. return is free and state return is 12.99. I had my refunds in my bank acct. in less than 10 days.
    check it out here:
    https://www.taxact.com/offers/free_taxact.asp?sc=0641825301018&l=1&v=0&kw=tax act&ad=0
  • Options
    jnmiller75jnmiller75 Member Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never used TurboTax, but I have used TaxCut for the past nine years. I find it is straight forward and easy to use.
  • Options
    PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have used Turbotax for about 5 years. It is a great product.
    Pete