In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Virginia Governor closes gun loophole

dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
edited April 2007 in General Discussion
Now, before you read this story, I want you to think of a couple of things,
(1) Once you are considered dangerous, how do you get your name off of the list if you are no longer a danger. This could be a TRO from a disgruntaled wife during a divorce.
(2) What is the process for once you have been committed but have recovered, to getting your gun rights back.
(3) Does this mean that a liberal judge can find all gun owners a danger and stop them from buying any more guns.
They try to do some good things and endanger the second ammendment.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18398341/from/ET/

Comments

• MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    It may be worse then that.

My friend spanked his 15 year old daughter after she stayed out all night and she called 911 and reported that her dad beat her.

Cops came and arrested him and when the daughter saw this told the cops she just made it up because she was mad at her dad for spanking her but they also hauled her to the hospital for medical evaluation.

There was not a mark on her, not even a red mark.

Daughter saw what a mess was made she tried to tell them it was a big mistake she made while being mad.

Prosecutor still made a case and won and my friend cannot buy a firearm right now due to a Domestic Violence conviction.
  • tobefreetobefree Member Posts: 7,401
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dheffley
    (1) Once you are considered dangerous, how do you get your name off of the list if you are no longer a danger. This could be a TRO from a disgruntaled wife during a divorce.
    (2) What is the process for once you have been committed but have recovered, to getting your gun rights back.
    (3) Does this mean that a liberal judge can find all gun owners a danger and stop them from buying any more guns.

What freaking loophole!!!! It was a illegal purchase to start with.... what a *!!!!
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tobefree
    What freaking loophole!!!! It was a illegal purchase to start with.... what a *!!!!

Now, don't be confusing them with the facts![:0]
  • Smokeeater 38Smokeeater 38 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MVP

My friend spanked his 15 year old daughter after she stayed out all night and she called 911 and reported that her dad beat her.

Cops came and arrested him and when the daughter saw this told the cops she just made it up because she was mad at her dad for spanking her but they also hauled her to the hospital for medical evaluation.

Daughter saw what a mess was made she tried to tell them it was a big mistake she made while being mad.

Prosecutor still made a case and won and my friend cannot buy a firearm right now due to a Domestic Violence conviction.

That kid would get the basic stuff to live and not any extras and would be out on her but at age 18.
  • medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can we take this and apply it to other areas as well?

How about if you get convicted of a DUI. Can we have you added to a list so you cannot purchase or consume alcohol or ever drive again in your life???

While I agree mentally unbalanced persons shouldnt get weapons, this can be abused and twisted to fit someones agenda in so many ways.
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    LOL ... welcome to the slippery slope of Kalifornia.

... it's just the beginning.
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I already fell safer.[xx(]
  • MosinNagantDiscipleMosinNagantDisciple Member Posts: 2,612
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MVP

Thats messed up, but 15 is a little old for spankings...
  • ClarentaviousClarentavious Member Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dheffley

The only way I know of is through state relief from disability... The ATF has not been doing federal relief from disability since 1992 I believe it is. Most other things like presidential pardons are usually for convicts - not people abused by the mental health system. Congress determined in 1968 (followed by a lawsuit to the supreme court later) that such people, while unfortunate, are too great a risk and can't be trusted.

There were a couple of guys who committed tax evasion... which is a federal felony or punishable by more than 1 year in prison. They sued for their right to buy guns claiming since the crime was non-violent, they should not be barred. But the justices did not agree.

This is really a problem for minors... such as the case with my cousin - even though she is an adult now. As people under 18 can't determine what doctors they are going to see or what's going to happen to them. If their parents are scum bags, the kids are screwed.

But quite honestly, even with state relief - I don't think there's a single shrink in this entire country that's going to sign off on someone that was previously considered dangerous... Not if my cousin's experience with them is a stereotype of most shrinks in the country.
  • jbc23060jbc23060 Member Posts: 499 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being a resident of VA, I have written to my state senator, who is also Majority Leader. It's a bit flowery, but it's an emotional subject. Wonder if i will get a response.....

To : district12@sov.state.va.us

Subject : Upcoming Legislation

Date : Mon, Apr 30, 2007 09:13 PM

Mr. Stosch,

I write, with great concern, regarding our governor's comments in
    this article. I fear that this is a knee-jerk reaction to what was
    certainly a terrible tragedy, in our Commonwealth.

I have lived in Virginia, by choice, for over 28 years and I love the
    peace and progress that this Commonwealth has come to be known for.
    The tragedy at Virginia Tech has done nothing to change MY opinion
    and Love for Virginia.

While lawmakers seek to make sense and try to find expedient
    solutions to what happened, I ask that you be mindful of the
    implications such hurried solutions can cause. Too oftn, lawmakers,
    such as you and Governor Kaine, try a band-aid approach to a
    percieved proble, that causes an untold number of unintended
    consequences. Mr. Kaine, in particular, seems to be taking this path.

I ask that great care be taken in the construct of ANY legislation
    that would inhibit a free and open electorate to purchase the
    purchase firearm that are guatanteed under the Second Ammendment of
    the Constitution of the United States. Following Mr. Kaine's lead
    not only violates this right, but also further degrades the ability
    that your electorate has, to defend itself against these types of
    tragic, murderous acts.

I would submit to you, as an example, the defeat of HB1572. Had it
    been passed and signed, it COULD have made a significant difference
    in the outcome this tragedy. I call your attention to an editorial,
    written by a Virginia Tech student, who was there, that day.

http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/commentary/wb/80510

In our effort to correct the ills of society, please, Mr. Stosch, let
    us not penalize, once again, those who abide, uphold and support the
    laws of the Commonwealth.

Respectfully,

xxxxxxx xxxxxxx
    Glen Allen
  • OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guys, I have no problem with a person being denied the right to buy guns if he has been adjudicated to be mentally ill as the Form 4473 asks.
    Still, that is no hindrance if the guy makes a private sale between himself and another non-dealer person. The non-dealer has no legal requirement to deny the sale that I know of even if the prospective purchaser " don't look right " or "don't act right".
    It appears to me that the only way a person can protect himself is to have a dealer handle the sale and hope that the NICS works.

Cheers, OleDuk [:)][:)]
    VT '60