In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ever hear of a Nur-Tur-Schneckschus?

HobbyGuyHobbyGuy Member Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2007 in General Discussion
I've followed this auction for months and it's still posted! Although I am familiar with Mickey Cohen's mob history, I was unaware that he carried James Bond technology firearms. According to the listing, the Nur-Tur-Schneckschus, Liliput Model 1 .25ACP fires out the top of the slide?!?! The most logical question I can think of is WHY?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=66156060

Comments

• HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    I believe he misread the info on the gun.. There is nothing in the german language that reads like that..

I believe it would read "Nur fur Schreckschus"

Where the U in the "fur" would have two dots over it... last S would be the german "double s", which looks much like the greek Beta letter.

Then it would mean - "ONLY FOR BLANKS"

The Germans make a lot of replicas that fire that way and even take original weapons and converts them to blank-firing devices (renderes them useless for real ammo!!!).

Real guns are virtually weakened/destroyed and made so the blast would go upwards.

There are a lot of guns made to specifically make noise - and nothing more. They look like real guns and are used for training dogs that are scared of loud noises, selfdefence (putting up loud noise, calling for attencion from bystanders..) and in many cases also for firing a special type of fireworks and firecrackers.

The germans have guns and blank cartridges in 2mm Berloque-caps, .25ACP blanks, 6mm rimfired, 9mm for revolver, 9mm for auto, 10mm, .45ACP type ammo as well as .45Colt type ammo.

You can find guns where the blast go straight out the barrel as you would expect the projectile to do - that's when you want to use cartridges loaded not only with gunpowder - but with CS or pepper too.

The cartridges are usually made with blackpowder (loud and more realistic noise), or with "Silver-powder" (not too loud, but sharp noise).
    They can be made with CS/teargas-component or with pepper to irritate eyes - or combined.

I guess if anyone tries to fire that .25ACP with live ammo - he's likely to shoot his own foot and put a lawsuit on the seller....

Be very carefull.. I'm 100% sure it's not a real gun anymore.!!!!
    edited November -1
    I have saved the picture and tried to clear it up a bit - what looks like the front sight, is actually the port where the bullet is believed to get out.

However, if you brighten up the picture - you'd see that the ramp isn't steep enough to alter the projectiles path almost 90 degrees.
    That's virtually what you would need as it's stated that you hold the gun down by your side, towards the ground - and when you fire - you hit something in front of you.

I don't believe that to be even possible without excessive "recoil"-like effect and wouldn't even be considered.

It DOES look like it has lead-deposits though - so someone fired the gun and lived. And I'm sure - didn't like the gun either and stopped.

But having seen these guns and having had a few variants myself - as well as having had 5 years of German..

I do believe that to be a blank-firing-device.

It may look like and may even have been a real gun - but it's been converted to blankfiring and is NOT intended for live ammo.
    edited November -1
    Mailed the seller a question (got a fast answer).

(deleted part of the original post...)

Got another answer from the seller - The shop manager took an extra look at the gun, and he confirmed it was a converted gun.

Converted from a live-ammo firing handgun - to a blank-only firing device.