In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

260,000 Can't Get VA Health Care

HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
edited January 2006 in General Discussion
More Than 260,000 Can't Get VA Health Care
Associated Press | January 25, 2006

WASHINGTON - More than a quarter-million veterans considered to have higher incomes could not sign up for health care with the Veterans Affairs Department during the last fiscal year because of a cost-cutting move.

Those locked out - totaling 263,257 in the fiscal year that ended Sept. 30 - have no illnesses or injuries attributable to their service in the military and earn more than the average wage in their community.

The VA suspended enrollment of such veterans beginning in January 2003 after then-VA Secretary Anthony Principi said the agency was struggling to provide adequate health care to the rapidly rising number of veterans seeking it.

That year the VA population was about 6.8 million. About 7.5 million are enrolled today, with more than 5 million treated.

"There is no reason for the VA to give the cold shoulder to veterans who have served our country honorably," said Rep. Lane Evans of Illinois, ranking Democrat on the House Veterans Affairs Committee.

VA spokesman Matt Burns said VA provides world-class health care to veterans, "particularly our newly returning veterans, those with low incomes and those who have sustained service-related injuries or illnesses."

Iraq veterans are guaranteed health care if they enroll within two years of leaving the military.

Under the Bush administration, there has been debate about providing veterans health care. President Bush's budgets have included proposals to require some veterans to pay a portion of their care with co-payments, but Congress has repeatedly rejected that idea.

Although Congress has increased VA's budget in recent years, the agency found itself with a gaping budget hole last year and had to ask Congress for emergency funding. Veterans groups and some lawmakers say the agency's increases have been inadequate, but others say the agency has to set priorities on who gets care.

"Our first priority is to care for veterans who were hurt or disabled in service and who need our help. We are doing that," said Jeff Phillips, communications director for Rep. Steve Buyer, R-Ind., and House VA Committee chairman.

When it suspended enrollments, VA estimated that about 522,000 veterans would not enroll for health care because of the suspension through September 2005, saving the agency about $780 million. Numbers for fiscal year 2004 were not immediately available.

In 1996 Congress ordered the agency to open health care to nearly all veterans. However, lawmakers also gave authority to the VA secretary to suspend enrollments as needed.

VA calculated the fiscal year 2005 total by counting veterans whose applications to enroll were rejected because they fell into the so-called "Priority 8" category. The number includes veterans in all states as well as Guam, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands and 793 veterans listed as other or unknown territory.

Evans' office said the number of such veterans who have not been able to sign up for health care could be higher because some may not bother to apply knowing they do not qualify.

Congress provided about $23.3 billion for VA medical services for this fiscal year, above Bush's request, with about $1.2 billion set aside for when VA declares the money is needed for an emergency.

According to the numbers provided by Evans, Florida had the highest number of veterans rejected, 27,465, followed by Texas with 19,204, California with 17,378 and Pennsylvania with 13,262.

COMMENT BY HAIRY: Have enough money for Iraq, Israel, Egypt and other countries but not enough money for US American veterans. Support the troops!!!!

Comments

• Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    ""have no illnesses or injuries attributable to their service in the military""

They don't need to be going to the VA for a freeby. The VA is for service connected disabilities.

7 million American's have service connected disabilites (even a papercut that left a scar will get you in the system)...they don't need a quarter million more to give service to.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:More than a quarter-million veterans considered to have higher incomes

quote:"Our first priority is to care for veterans who were hurt or disabled in service and who need our help. We are doing that,"

quote:have no illnesses or injuries attributable to their service in the military

So basically it's people who served, but have money, they have some sort of illness, and they are looking for a handout even though the illness wasn't related to service. They sound exactly like the people who should be rejected from V.A. benefits.
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry, but shouldn't need be determined by the veteran and not some government bureaucrat?

If they served honorably, they should get the whole package.

Or maybe you guys want veterans to be a welfare class? "Only those who can't or won't succeed should get benefits!"

It's all or none because if it's only some, sooner or later it will be none.
  • Options
    restoreguyrestoreguy Member Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    EMM, Hairy.....go s**t in your collectives hats...!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    EMM- You deserve no say in anything related to veteran affairs. These people were not denied treatment to service related illnesses, I would be willing to be the farm that these people did not serve until retirement or they would be entitled to tri-care. They had a deal with uncle sam, they (the server or the government) shouldn't be allowed to change the rules when it is convient for them. I bet you couldn't find a dozen cases out of the 260,000 mentioned that served to retirement and then got rejected by the V.A. for medical treatment. I also bet you can't find a dozen cases out of the 260,000 that are seeking treatment for service related injuries either. Now either go do some research and prove me wrong, or just continue talking out of your *.
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Dave W.,

You illustrate perfectly the latest in political trends - otherwise known as "are you veteran enough"?

I've noticed a lot of folks around here, veterans and those purporting to be veterans, seem to delight in elevating their own sacrifice by denigrating the service of others.

Seems to me this latest step is nothing more than the next chapter in this particular "Animal Farm" wherein all vets are equal, but some are more equal than others.

PS: As far as not deserving to say anything related to veterans' affairs, I was not aware that veterans were such a holy cow that they couldn't tolerate or withstand outside commentary. I know a lot of veterans like you are tocuhy about your perceived special status, but here's a quick reminder: one does not need to serve to enjoy First Amendment rights. I know it's hard for you to remember but I guarantee you it's true.[}:)]
  • Options
    stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    I have a young co-worker who served honorably in Afghanistan and Iraq.
    While serving in Iraq, he was involved in a firefight and took one 7.62 round to the left arm.
    He says he is not eligible for a Purple Heart because we had declared an end to hostilities in Iraq.
    If true, that would really piss me off!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    EMM- The problem with someone like yourself commenting on veteran affairs is that you are not familiar with them. But just because you read something you become a self proclaimed expert or you think that we need to be interested in your opinion because YOU know what's best for us. I do not claim to be entiled to any rights that you are not, I do believe that it should be vets that decide what is best for the V.A. not people like yourself. That's not degrading you, that's just stating that you are involving yourself in something that should not concern you, because you read the latest article from the New York times. I don't know a damn thing about being a truck driver, I'm not about to tell them the rules of the road they should abide by because I see plenty on the road everyday.

And Emm- I sincerely did not mean to come of as insulting or degrading to you. There are hassles with the V.A. things take longer, there are long lines to be treated or seen. But as a whole I believe it is those who are eligable to recieve benefits that need to be proactve in V.A. matters. You wouldnt want me deciding your retirement bennefits for you would you? I have no idea what your entitled or should be entitled, even if I did a moderate amount of research on it, there is still alot I could never know from not actually having been there.
  • Options
    HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    restoreguy: quote: EMM, Hairy.....go s**t in your collectives hats...!!! Why? Taking up a collection? [}:)][;)]
  • Options
    Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    I don't know what the dollar ceiling is, but I know a vet from the Vietnam era that still gets his prescriptions and treatment at the VA hospital in Atlanta.

This man owns a business, an airplane, several rental properties....oh...did I forget to say he is a MILLIONAIRE ??
  • Options
    jimkanejimkane Member Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by stanman
    I have a young co-worker who served honorably in Afghanistan and Iraq.
    While serving in Iraq, he was involved in a firefight and took one 7.62 round to the left arm.
    He says he is not eligible for a Purple Heart because we had declared an end to hostilities in Iraq.
    If true, that would really piss me off!

stan, something isn't right here, I was hit several months after the end of major ground conflict, and there was no question as to whether I would be awarded the Purple Heart, have him get his medical records together and call his congressman. He deserves it.