In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gunshows vs. the Internet

vh2qvh2q Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited April 2004 in General Discussion
What do you folks see happening to gun shows now that so much buying and selling is taking place online? My local shows are less and less about guns (jerky, anyone?), and attendance seems to be dropping.

Comments

• offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't see a huge rush to online gun buying because of the shipping cost and transfer dealer fees. Sellers would do better online to set a price that is "shipping included," which is basically what they do in your local gun shop.

If gun shows are slipping, and some dealers at shows think they are, it's probably an economy thing. People don't have as much "disposable income" and are more likely to be selling their guns than buying as often. The malls say the same thing when the economy slows down -- "too many window shoppers, not enough sales." I think gun shows will get busier with full employment.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I buy at shows and from individuals myself...I have purchased only 1 firearm over the net. I've bid on a few but never seem to bid high enough to win. And some of the "Shipping Costs" are ridiculous...Just my 2 cents!

"You Know Your Remembered When Your Being Ignored"
  • xxxxxxlxxxxxxl Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It seems to me that the prices at the gunshows are at the retail level (for new guns). I don't feel that I am getting a good deal or any added value by puchasing at the show (parts excluded). Based on that I feel better purchasing through my local dealer.

In Search of More Light
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    I've seen gunshows get a bit smaller over the years. And dealers tell me there are more window shoppers (finger print bandits) now than buyers. But on the other hand shows have been more frequent where I live anyway.

Dealers prices are competative with online prices when you add shipping & transfer fees. I like to buy from the individuals needing to turn a gun into cash. Get a lot of really good deals that way. Been stung a couple of times though when there ended up being something wrong with it.

MOLON LABE!I was not in Vietnam but I supportbumpersticker.gif
    356074.245801.gifted-nugent-for-president-t-shirt.jpg356074.208972.gif125_button_kerry_leaders.gif
  • NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    Never saw a dealer get hurt financially at a gun show. Well, one said he was selling the gun at a small loss, and the figures backed that up. But one can possibly get a fair deal at a gun show, occasionally a little below the local shop. In general, it's best to support the local shop, if it's a fair place. That's where they sometimes shave their margin if you're a multi-repeat customer, which many of us are.
    Auctions? I bought one gun that way. Took a long time, cost a fair amount in shipping and transfer. I like local dealer and gunshows much better.
    These, at least, are my observations and conclusions.
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buying guns on line is way over my pocket book in my opinion. Everyone that i have seen on line (new ones) are out of line in price by the time you pay everything!

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!

I'm Just One Man Talking!
  • Supreme OneSupreme One Member Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello, I have spent over $400.00 just for tranfer fees at just ONE of the shops I used to go to (went out of business) and more at the others. But I have no regrets, just guns.

Michael

Paranoid keeps you alive, worry just gives you stomach problems.
    - .- -.- . / -- -.-- / .- -.. ...- .. ... . --..-- / .. .----. -- / -. --- - / ..- ... .. -. --. / .. - / .- -. -.-- .-- .- -.-- .-.-.-
    Politics- From the words poly, meaning many, and tics, which are just little blood suckers.
    .-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / .- / ... . -..- ..- .- .-.. .-.. -.-- / - .-. .- -. ... -- .. - - . -.. / -.. .. ... . .- ... . .-.-.-
    If "con" is the opposite of "pro," then what is the opposite of progress?
    sound
  • xxxxxxlxxxxxxl Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One thing that would be nice for the gun shows in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area would be to see the factory reps show up, not to compete, but to help market their products, new and current models, and answer questions. Public Relations can be a wonderful tool.

In Search of More Light
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It seems to me that shows and on-lines are about comparable in price. Fairly high but with some fair deals and bargains if you look. I can find things on line that I simply cannot get (used that is) at dealers locally. Not infrequently, I see something new on line like on GB and check prices with local dealers and get it cheaper on line including shipping and transfer. I certainly buy more on line than at shows except for patchs and such supplies.

He Dog
  • njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    I don't like to buy something unless I can hold it in my hand first.

Uh.......let me re-phrase that. I don't like buying sight unseen. I prefer face to face dickering and seeing what I am getting for my money.

njretcop@copmail.com

vic.jpgamericana_logo.art

Charlie
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been to the Indy 1500 around 10 times and a few other shows. I have a hard time finding any deals anymore (except for ammo because of the shipping costs). I'm not the kind to try to negotiate for a half an hour. Bargains are hard to find - with the net also. If they weren't, they wouldn't be called bargains!

You need to enjoy the search to find a good one. That goes for guns too!

cbxjeff<P>It's too late for me, save yourself. <br>
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with Charlie on this one! Have to see it, feel it, and look the seller in the eye, ask questions, and mull the answers.

Our shows here are not getting smaller, thankfully, and it seems that each time I go, there are more and more people attending. Especially a lot of women who are checking out handguns.

I have a couple of local dealers that I hang out with, and have helped several times in selling a firearm at the shows. They always goes out of their way to say thanks, and have "discounted" a couple of things that I purchased from them. Not always, mind you, but sometimes. [:)]

John

A friend will post your bail. A good friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "man that was fun!"
  • Broomie2Broomie2 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In Jersey I feel online buying is a plus (though there are some drawbacks), there are no real gun shows in this state to speak of, & C&R's really don't exist persay, so saving money, never happen in the Peoples Republic of NJ.

Those who would offer any interpretation that would relegate Amendment II to "relic" status of a bygone era are blatantly stating that the remainder of the Bill of Rights isn't worth a damn, either.
  • Buck EBuck E Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best gun shows are the ones were the big dealers who set up 200 new guns at full retail stay home. When you go to a show and it's just a bunch of gunnies who want to buy, sell, trade and shoot the bull with other like minded folks, then you have a gun show! I like the net but it can never replace the this fraternity of the free.
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like to go to gun shows just as a social thing and maybe to pick up some little goodies that i cant get localy, Except for the New guns
    for sale at the shows there is ALOT of "cleaned up", refinished or just plain broken Junk being sold by these small time dealers looking for a Quick buck and could care less about anything else, There are dealers that only go to shows just to "dump" trouble guns on folks they will never see again, Just my opinion.
    (I am not judging all dealers Just the nuckle heads)

use_deer.jpgnysrpa.jpgtnusa.gifbmlogo.gif