In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

FFL FEES

timhill100timhill100 Member Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
edited July 2009 in General Discussion
I just sold a rifle that I believe is being returned because of the fees that the buyer is being charged. He says the gun has 5 inches of free bore (?) even though it shoots sub MOA. The bolt will allow primers to blow but states the fired brass looks great??? Agter all of that he says the FFL says that he considers it his sale therefore, the guy has to pay tax on the $1000. None of it makes any sense to me. Am I missing something???

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    i just bought a handgun off gunbroker a week ago, heritage 22mag
    when i went to my ffl to pick it up he charged me 45.00, just for reveiving it, he claims 10.00 for faxing ffl, 15.00 for back ground check and 20.00 for misc, i think this is outragouse, has anyone else ran into this, im curious as to what other ffl charge
    thanks for your input
    tim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is there an average transfer fee for items from websites like GB to FFL holders? A local gunshop wants $50.00 to complete a transfer. I have seen other shops in my area with fees as low as $15.00. Any thoughts?

sru92

sru92...Life Member NRA(EPL)
    sru92@libcom.com
    When asked if there was room for forgiveness in regard to the 9/11 attacks, General Schwartzkof said, "I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting".
  • Options
    RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    I know some charge more and some charge less. The time to negotiate is BEFORE you enter into transaction, not after. If you don't like the fee, find another FFL. Maybe they charge more if you're a whiner.
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I charge $20-25 for all transactions. Best to find out the transfer fee BEFORE buying the gun ..
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...What MFI said...check around, there is no "set" fee for a transfer...could range from $10 to $75 with $75 being the highest Ive heard about...once the fee passes $35 bucks, I think its a rip off...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 4,050
    edited November -1
    There is an FFL here in Northern VA that charges $100.00. He does that so that no one has guns shipped to him, he tries to force you to buy from him. I just use another FFL that only charges $20.00
  • Options
    elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My FFL or should I say old FFL charged 100.00 for a simple transfer. Found a new guy who charges 10.00 and 2.00 for the phone call to the state police.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i used this ffl before and the fee was only 25.00 he claims to have raised his fee to get you to buy off him, but he never has anything i want, he claims sites like gb are killing his bussiness. why dosent he just list and sell on here to make up the difference, well he just lost all my bussiness ill never go there for anything ever again
    tim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:

There is an FFL here in Northern VA that charges $100.00. He does that so that no one has guns shipped to him,

[:0][:0]...Smart guy, idiot.

I'd love to have people standing in line all day to do transfers for $20 bucks a pop...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Varies from state to state, in California you can go anywhere from $50.00 to $150.00. Really the only way to tell is by comparing your dealer to other dealers in the area. On the face of it though, $10.00 sounds like a bit much for faxing a single piece of paper - hell, I think the fellow receiving the fax pays for the call, right?

That you are surprised by the charges means someone dropped the ball on communication. My approach is it's my money and my gun deal, so it's my responsibility to exactly know the charges and requirements of that FFL.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ...Talk to him. If you patronize him for other items he might cut you some slack on future transfers...he does have an overhead w/a stroe front...but it doesnt mean he has to try and make it all off of you...[8D]

...You might try getting an 03 FFL, cheap, easy to obtain and usually pay for themselves the first gun purchase. Most any gun that is 50+ years and older you can have shipped to your door, lots of SKS and 1911's meet the requirement and many many more you'd never think of...lots of Commemrotives too...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MFI
    I charge $20-25 for all transactions. Best to find out the transfer fee BEFORE buying the gun ..

+1
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by P228
    There is an FFL here in Northern VA that charges $100.00. He does that so that no one has guns shipped to him, he tries to force you to buy from him. I just use another FFL that only charges $20.00

Who is it? I may know him as that is where I'm from. That is absurd. These folks are shooting themselves in the foot. We offer transfers at a reasonable rate and it brings in new business.
  • Options
    tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    Iv seen tehm charge 35.00 around here and thats high
    I have paid as low as 10.00 miss those days [V]
    the norm, seems to be 20.00 for the most art
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    was a time it was done as a service to customers.

not any more.

middle man blues.....

GUN DEALERS ARE NOT YOUR FRIENDS. they are out to make a buck and you are the wallet with legs.[B)]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    jamesjojamesjo Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Used to pay $ 20 transfer to my FFL for a transfer. Very reasonable, he was also my friend.
    When he closed his shop, I started patronizing my cousin. I thought he had quit selling guns years ago.
    He has transferred about 20 pieces for me so far, and has yet to charge me a fee.
    Says family and friends are free, all others pay $ 15.
    I am a lucky man I guess!
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you use the "find a transfer FFL" function on Gunbroker-

http://v4.beta.gunbroker.com/FFL/DealerNetwork.aspx

Most of them list what their fees are. Just plug in your zip code.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    If you use the "find a transfer FFL" function on Gunbroker-

http://v4.beta.gunbroker.com/FFL/DealerNetwork.aspx

Most of them list what their fees are. Just plug in your zip code.

Great advice![^]