In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Thumb drive question

auctionplugauctionplug Member Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in General Discussion
Thumb drive question:

I know if the thumb drive is large enough you can use it when hooked up to your USB as extra memory called readyboost. My question is I've heard that when flash memory can degrades over time it will take your hard drive with it. Is that true?

I'm running Win & pro if that has an effect on anything.

Comments

• Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is "Win & pro" ?
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    windows 7 professional.
    no idea about thumb drives.
    i have an external HD on my pc.
    laptop is a mac with parallels program and online back up.

tom
  • Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spartacus
    windows 7 professional.
    no idea about thumb drives.
    i have an external HD on my pc.
    laptop is a mac with parallels program and online back up.

tom
    Those external Hard drives will go out on you also, I had a 1TB that I backed up three computers through my home network on become totally inaccessible, luckily the three original internal hard drives were okay.

I guess I need a back up for my back ups or go to a off-site back-up service.
  • Options
    CSI21CSI21 Member Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never heard that thumb drives boost memory, any idea how that works? And if you have important stuff, redundancy redundancy redundancy, is all I can say. I lost my desk top this year(correction in 2011) and no back up.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CSI21
    I have never heard that thumb drives boost memory, any idea how that works? And if you have important stuff, redundancy redundancy redundancy, is all I can say. I lost my desk top this year(correction in 2011) and no back up.

It uses it as extended Ram/Cashe. Works pretty good on my older lap top. Don't know how it does with the newer OS's.