In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

About Shrimp, Beef Hearts And Other Organ Meat

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
edited April 2007 in General Discussion
I have a little cholesterol problem, and was unable to control it with diet and excercise, so I take medication for it now.

My mother told me that ALL "organ meat" is high in fat and cholesterol. I can believe that about liver and kidney, but what about heart and chicken gizzards?

Seems to me that those meats are very lean, very dense muscle tissue, not "organs" in the same sense that liver is.

I love gizzards. I don't like chicken liver, but I do like calf liver, fried and smothered in onions. Chicken hearts are small, but good. Beef heart tastes just like chicken heart, but there is more of it per unit.

I also love shrimp, and have been told that, though it is high in cholesterol, shrimp does not raise blood cholesterol numbers. True or not?

Comments

• dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a chart for you David.

The shrimp is fine, the others are a No No.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabetes-diet/DA00074
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    Hee hee, ONE OUNCE???

Whoo boy! I go to the East Rock Oriental Buffet in the evenings, when they serve black pepper shrimp, boiled shrimp, hot spicy shrimp, and fried shrimp. One ounce isn't even a cocktail.

I guess taking the medication is a good thing.
  • dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The ounce is an "exchange number. They list several other items by different volumes on down the charts, and the "exchange" numbers are just to compare how much of each item can be substituted for another item.[:)]
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If something that is "good" for you is fried it instantly becomes bad for you. But you probably already knew this.
    I have a simple rule of thumb here.
    If it tastes good it's bad for you.
  • awindsawinds Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And, if you have sex, you will die. Guaranteed.[:D][:D]
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by awinds

Problem is, if you DON'T have sex you will also die.
    So which are you going to pick?

Nunn,

Whether or not heart is an "organ" meat is a question of semantics (but I'd say, yes it is).

Heart tissue is made of cardiac muscle, which on a cellular level is fairly similar to the skeletal muscle of ordinary meat. Liver is a totally different thing altogether.

To answer your question, neither ordinary beef liver nor heart are particularly high in saturated (animal) fat, when compared to the more yummy cuts like Ribeye or sirloin, which are marbled with fat.

That's exactly why the more delicious cuts taste better. They contain more fat. Goose liver pate is high in fat, but that's not what we are talking about.

Like all animal meats, both liver and heart are high in cholesterol, particularly the liver since it has many intracellular membranes. So its a little bit of a tradeoff that way.

Bottom line is, switching to heart or liver isn't really going to make all that much of a difference. Neither one of them is going to be significantly worse or better for you than an equivalent amount of good steak.

Your best bet is to cut down on the meat altogether, or if you can't do that at least try portion control. . .more rice, more beans, less meat.

Now in terms of chicken gizzards, I'm 98% sure those are made of smooth (ie non-skeletal) muscle, and realistically speaking probably aren't any different than other forms of lean chicken (ie breast).

I can't be as specific about shrimp (non-mammal tissue is a bit out of my league), but my guess is that while relatively high in cholesterol, its probably low in saturated fat, and therefore better for you, pound for pound, than steak.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by awinds
    Well none of us get out of here alive so.....[;)]

BTW live chicken gizzards. I call them the original chicken nuggets.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    All organ food is bad. Boiled or grilled shrimp are good, but fried is bad.[V]
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're looking for a bout with Gout eating that stuff.
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    even the leanest cut of beef is considered high in fat compared to chicken, and then fish
  • Fatboy livesFatboy lives Member Posts: 708 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If living straight off the land you must eat the organ meats from game you take, other wise you'll suffer from protien posiening. When not living off the land, organ meat has a lot of fat that we don't need in todays society.
  • jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]--Yo Sir Nunn--You probably know that here in CALIFORNIA we're having trouble with CONDORS dying from injested LEAD from eating carrion/organs,-sooooooooo

--watch out for your lead intake (not withstanding your job)--

--just kidding !!!

--[:D][8D]--JIMBO
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chicken Gizzards and Beer [:p][:p]
  • renneckrenneck Member Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    Chicken Gizzards and Beer [:p][:p]
  • KrisWKrisW Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love gizzards and livers. And shrimp. But like they said, if its fried it aint good for you. But it makes it taste better.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    What do u wanna do? Eat tofu and rice cakes, and live forever?
    Not me , i'm gonna eat what i like, and die whenever my number comes up!

Jeff
  • aka rottenaka rotten Member Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Darn,Iate bout a pound of chicken livers and french frys tonight,Washed it all down with a bud,,,or two.Paul
  • sherpasherpa Member Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    steak & shrimp on the grill, lots of beer. GOOD. at least once a week. the rest of the week bacon sandwitch with avacado & tomato or pork chops or roast beef with potatoes & gravy. roast pork with salsa on tortillas. yes i have high colesterol and take "VITORIN 10/20" I ALSO SMOKE CIGARS ALL DAY LONG AND DRINK TOO MUCH. i am 67 retired and don't much care any more. no one gets out of life alive. enjoy what you like.
  • Da-TankDa-Tank Member Posts: 4,074
    edited November -1
    A medium onion diced with hambuger will eliminate all the cholesterol. Cook the onion with the liver for better results.
    Black pepper, lots of it will help reduce it also.

GOOD LUCK
  • jc_crazyhorsejc_crazyhorse Member Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Liver & Gizzards = [xx(] No thanks.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember reading a section of the book "Dead Doctors don't lie". I recall most Eskimos run a blood cholesterol level of about 325 and live well into the late 90's.
    http://www.deaddoctors.com/
    I have listened to Dr. Wallach since the late 80's and his nutrition facts are very well known in "JAMA" http://jama.ama-assn.org/
    In short, and I know it's a little off topic, but this guy keeped me from having knee surgery when it wasn't needed. I just needed to change my diet an add a few supplements.