In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

STUDY FINDS...PRAYER DOES NOT HELP....

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited March 2006 in General Discussion
This story was on our news station Tampa Bay 10 today,....I had read this before in different medical journals, but to my knowledge they were never made public....
I know there have been other articles printed about this subject but I am not sure if it has had the proof to back it up, as in this study...

And yes I know there will be some who say its full of bunk.. and that is fine....just as there are some who say that prayer doesnt help....but one thing I do believe is the power of the mind and the power of the will to survive, and you can put that down to what ever you want...

This post is NOT meant to incite a riot or name calling ...its just posted for information ... Each will believe what they want, and that is fine....just a bit of info to mull over, nothing more...

July 20, 2005

A multi-center US study of 748 patients, who were to undergo treatment for coronary artery disease, has found that prayer by Christian, Muslim, Jewish, and Buddhist groups had no measurable effects on the medical health of the study subjects. The prayers were conducted by established congregations and were held away from the hospitals.

The study, published in the 16 July 2005 issue of The Lancet, found that the likelihood of an adverse cardiovascular event in hospital, re-admission or death within six months was unaffected by prayer.

None of the patients were told that they were prayed for, and none of the prayer groups knew who they prayed for. Nevertheless, 67% of the non-prayer group believed they were being prayed for - a potential placebo effect that may have hidden any small differences between the two groups.

The study also examined the effects of "music, imagery, and touch (MIT) therapy" before heart surgery. Practitioners qualified to Level 1 Healing Touch taught the patient relaxation techniques and played soothing music before applying 21 Healing Touch hand positions, over a 40 minute session.

There was no significant change in the combined chance of an adverse cardiovascular event in hospital, re-admission or death within six months. However, while the set of patients was evenly split, only 7 patients who received MIT therapy died, and 20 patients who did not receive it died. The result is not highly significant due to the low overall number of people who died.

A number of studies has recently examined the possible effects of prayer, with mixed results. While some religious groups have hailed studies which found positive results [1], skeptics have challenged the very notion of scientifically examining prayer [2], and have described past studies as flawed or even fraudulent. [3]

"The mechanisms through which distant intercessory prayer might convey healing benefit are unknown", the authors of the study explain. One hypothesis they propose for such effects are "non-local features of consciousness based theoretically around observations in quantum physics

The study was conducted by a team of 16 researchers at Duke Clinical Research Institute (DCRI), Duke University Medical Center, the Durham Veterans Affairs Medical Center (VAMC), and seven other academic medical institutions across the United States.

Sources
Mitchell W Krucoff, et al. "Music, imagery, touch, and prayer as adjuncts to interventional cardiac care: the Monitoring and Actualisation of Noetic Trainings (MANTRA) II randomised study". The Lancet, July 16, 2005 (requires registration)
"Prayer 'no aid to heart patients'". BBC News, July 15, 2005
"Results of First Multicenter Trial of Intercessory Prayer, Healing Touch in Heart Patients". Duke University Press Release, July 14, 2005

The content of this article has been released into the public domain. In the event that this is not legally possible, this article may be used for any purpose, without any condition, unless such conditions are required by law. This applies worldwide.
Please note that this only applies to Wikinews content created prior to September 25, 2005. All content created after that date is released under a Creative Commons license which is attached to each article.

Comments

• Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    I file this under, "Science is unable to prove God does not exist."
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It has been proven scientifically that a maintaining a positive mental attitude by the patient does affect the ability to heal. If such a positive attitude is achieved through prayer, then prayer can help. If eating jelly beans keeps you in a good mood, then eating jelly beans could also be said to help a person heal faster.

When you do a specific test on prayer vs. no prayer or jelly-beans vs. no jelly-beans, it might conclude that prayer and jelly-beans do not contribute to faster healing. That is because the critical part of the formula is not prayer or jelly-beans, but the positive mental attitude. Whatever helps a patient achieve a positive mental attitude will help the patient heal faster.
  • Options
    RevolutionJimRevolutionJim Member Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    medical propaganda
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prayer can't hurt. Takes your mind off the problem . ... Jelly Beans, the only kind of bean I like.
  • Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    So, does that mean that if I'm in the hospital, I should demand cheesecake, because IMO there is no food on the planet that gives me greater joy?

Now, it has to be GOOD cheesecake, not the crap that they'd likely bake in a hospital... because a bad cheesecake can make you very nauseus.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    bottom line, your prayers are being outsourced to Ahmed in India, how can anyone expect them to get answered
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,593 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Geez, this is the 3rd time this has been posted in less than a week.
    Bottom line for me...I have seen the power of prayer and a "study" will not change my mind.
  • Options
    WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    It helps me. [;)]
  • Options
    shellitoutshellitout Member Posts: 345 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First and formost, God is the one who has the power to give and to take away. We can't understand Gods' way and we never will. My savior is Jesus Christ, and if he prayed to God, and also comanded us to pray to Him, you bet I am. None of us are really ever going to
    " Die ". We ALL will live for an eternity either in Heaven or Hell. Also, we pray to God to give Him glory and praise. He's not a charm or lucky rabbits foot we rub only when we are sick or in a jam and then put him back when we feel better or escape trouble. The main thing is, " DO NOT RELY ON YOUR OWN UNDERSTANDING ", just trust Him. If he calls you home, then it's going to happen. If He decides to heal you then He will. We are just Humans. We can't stop our creator from doing anything that is His will. TRUST!TRUST!TRUST![^]
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think prayer helps the one praying most.
  • Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    If you dont believe in prayer, you don't have a prayer....
    my advise....pray and see how it works for you
  • Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Pray for the success of atheism."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Your prayer has been answered already LaidbackDan.[xx(]
  • Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shellitout
    Your prayer has been answered already LaidbackDan.[xx(]

Sadly, very true (especially demonstrated on this forum as of late)[V][V]
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Sadly, very true (especially demonstrated on this forum as of late)

So?????????...whats the big friggin deal if one believes and someone else doesnt?....
    Why worry about it?...what concern is if I believe or dont believe?...I dont condemn you for what you do believe or dont believe, please do the same for others...

As was stated in the first post...This was posted for information purposes ONLY...I dont care one way or another what a person believes in or doesnt believe in... how you treat another person is what matters, not belief or lack of..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The big friggin deal is how you want to spend eternity. Not a lifetime, but forever, neverending, eternity. No one is condemning anyone. Everyone has the right to believe what they want. Some say prayer doesn't work and some say it does. We will all know the truth when we exhale our last breath, here on Earth. What you inhale on the other side is up to you. ( If you believe there is life after death of the body ). No heated discussion. Were all freinds here.[:D]
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan
    bottom line, your prayers are being outsourced to Ahmed in India, how can anyone expect them to get answered

[:D][:D][:D]

"This is God, will you please hold? thank you"