In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Please, how about a

Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
recipe for sausage gravey ??

I have a hankerin' for some homemade biscuits & gravy this mornin''

No healthful recipes today, please.

And what readily available sausage do you recommend.

I live in OryGun.

Thank you.

Doug

Comments

• DBMJR1DBMJR1 Member Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ah Yes. Fond memories of SOS. I was an Engineer, you'll have to find someone from the mess hall.
  • txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife cooks it this way...

The gravy is the important part, take bacon grease, just a little bit and mix it with some flour. Stir, stir, stir over heat until you get a good brown roux. Sometimes it takes my wife about 10-15 minutes. When it gets good and brown after constant stirring you add some milk to thicken it up. I would have already cooked some bacon and sausage and then just stir that meat in.

Growing up, we didn't have any store bought biscuits, we just had some toast and it was mighty fine!
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Fry your favorite sausage.
    Don't drain drippings.
    Add lots o pepper.
    Add half volume of water, the other half milk.

After it begins to boil, add flour or cornstarch slowly to thicken. Use a wisk to mix in the flour/cornstarch.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Fry 1/2 package Jimmy Dean HOT sage sausage till browned, add 2 heaping t-spoons flour, stir till flower is incorporated and brown.
    Add 1.5 cups milk and simmer till thickened.
    The longer you cook the flour, the less thickening power it will have.[;)]
    edited November -1
    8 ounces breakfast sausage
    2 tablespoons shortening or lard
    3 tablespoons flour
    1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups milk
    salt and pepper, to taste
    dash cayenne pepper, optional
    Preparation:
    Cook sausage in a medium skillet over medium-low heat, stirring and breaking up with a spatula. With a slotted spoon, removed the browned crumbled sausage to a paper towel-lined plate. Add 2 tablespoons shortening, vegetable oil, or lard to the drippings in the skillet. Add flour, stirring until blended and bubbling. Gradually add 1 1/2 cups milk; continue stirring and cooking until thickened and bubbly. Add the crumbled sausage. If too thick, add a little more milk. Taste and add salt and pepper. Stir in a dash of cayenne pepper, if desired.
    Serve over hot split and buttered biscuits. Serve sliced tomatoes or fresh fruit with these, or serve as part of a bigger breakfast.
    Serves 4 to 6.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Yum.

Gonna head to the store.

Would Wondra work ??

Doug
  • txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know who Wondra is, but if she can stir the gravy, then let her in!
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had Jimmy Dean this very morning!!!
    Baked up a dozen biscuits and fried some eggs.
    Put 'em all together on the biscuits with a slice of cheese.
    Would have made the gravy too, but we're out of flour [V].
    Wasn't my week to buy groceries...
    edited November -1
    Wondra is an instant flour.. Excellant for gravies...

Instant flour is a low-protein, pregelatinized wheat flour to which some malted barley flour has been added. It has been formulated to dissolve quickly in either hot or cold liquids, and is most often called for to thicken gravies and sauces.

Because of its low-protein content, it is also sometimes used in making pie crusts and other recipes that call for cake flour, which is also lower in protein than all-purpose flour. Some bakers find the slightly acidic taste of cake flour objectionable and prefer the instant flour. The leading brand available in this country is Wondra.
  • burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    Not much different but after browning and draining my suasage, I put it back in the skillet on high, add 1/4 cup of water 3 cups of milk. When it starts to boil I add in a mixture of 4 Tab flour 1/2 cup milk (pre-mixed) stir it in slowly and watch it thicken up [:)]
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Larry -

You are just a fount of information.

Thank you.

Doug
    edited November -1
    Not a problem.. I am a connoisseur of good bisquits and gravy. Other than good sausage, you can use hamburger, Squirrel, or any other subtitute ground up meat..The meat isnt that important to me, its the gravy that makes the meal..[:D][:D]
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Cheap sauasge=more grease, and better gravy.