In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Part for old .22......firing pin spring????

matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
edited April 2003 in General Discussion
Ok, I know you guys can help. My uncle was just in town for a family dinner and we were talking guns and turkey hunting.

He has an old .22 rifle with these markings:

*crack shot-26
J. Stevens Arms Co.
Pat. Apr 22, 1913
Choopee Halls, Mass. USA
22 long rifle
Made In USA

Here is the problem, he says it has a weak firing pin spring or something along those lines, because he says it is too weak to fire. Anybody have an idea as to what the problem might be?

I have a pic, but computer illiterate me can't figure how to post it so if someone can do it for me, e-mail me and I'll send you the pic.

Also if someone might know the value. The finish is pretty much gone.

Let me also say that these markings came to me via his wifes (my aunt) e-mail, so anything not quite right with the markings could have happened from transit.

Thanks for your guys help.

Comments

• Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Clean it thouroughly. This solves 99% of the problems. If that don't work, make sure that the firing pin isn't broken. You can find all the parts you need at Numrich (http://www.gunpartscorp.com). Good Luck.

Proud member of the NRA

If it ain't broke-it ain't ours!!!
  • Options
    woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before you do anything, take the wood off of it and soak the action down with Gun Scrubber. It might just be full of caked oil and powder residue. That would slow the hammer fall enough to cause misfires.

Woods
  • Options
    rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hehe, while on the firing range, I was inspecting M249 squad automatic weapons and found one of the firers hadnt properly pulled maintenance on his. He was missing the firing pin spring.
    Now, this was a high profile range, the Battlaion Commander was out there the whole week, along with other visiters. So, as I was looking at it, they were all crowded around and I noticed the missing spring. Wondering what to do, I noticed a pen in the Commander's flak vest, I grabbed it, dissassembled the pin and took the spring out of it and used it in the SAW. One of em wasnt large enough, so I grabbed another handy pen and put em together.
    Long story short, that danged SAW went thru bout 4 pork chops without a single problem.
    So, you might be able to do a switch.
  • Options
    pantera7974pantera7974 Member Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hey ! hey ! hey !, its CHICOPEE FALLS, MASSACHUSETTES !, sorry, i live there....[:D][:D], not too far from the old AMES SWORD COMPANY either.chicoopee, ....sheesh [:p]

HAPPINESS IS LIKE PEEING YOURSELF, EVERYBODY CAN SEE IT BUT ONLY YOU CAN FEEL ITS WARMTH.
  • Options
    22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    The link is for an exploded view of a Stevens Favorite.
    Very close to your crackshot.

They are not as easy to disassemble as it looks

http://www.urban-armory.com/diagrams/stevfav.htm

Snake.gif
    underwaysm.gif
    SOLD MY COW SO I DON'T NEED YOUR BULL
    A Grumpy Old Man
  • Options
    trsmith5trsmith5 Member Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am sitting here with a crack shot 26 in my hands right now.
    Mine does not have a spring and it shoots every time.

You might try cleaning it real good, there's something gumming it up.
  • Options
    trsmith5trsmith5 Member Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I almost forgot the second part of your question.
    they range from 80.00 to 130.00
  • Options
    matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    Thanks everybody for your help, sounds like this gun is in for a good cleaning, or scrubbing as woodsrunner pointed out.

22WRF, that looks EASY, are you kidding me!![;)]