In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

MILLING MACHINE QUESTION

upinyeupinye Member Posts: 68
edited January 2004 in General Discussion
What is the difference between spindle tapers of MT3 and R8?? If a machine has a MT3 spindle ,can you use R8 collets ?? Thanks to anyone who can tell me. Steve in South Carolina

steve

Comments

• Options
    toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    You have to use a collet adapter to use R8 collets in a M3 collet mill. The M3's are beefier collets used in bigger machines and the R8's are used in Bridgeport type mills. What type of mill do you have?

A dead intruder cannot testify against you in a court of law!

If they're still moving, put another round in them!

P239n_Beauty.gif
  • Options
    dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    3 MT are morse taper 3 mt is common in some small mill and drill machines.
    R-8 is used in low HP vertical milling machines like toolman said, Bridgeport & clones
    Go with a R-8 machine if you have a choice.
    Do you have a machine or are you shopping?
    Don

eng.JPG
    Welcome to America...Now speak English.
    ````````````````````````
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    MT3 is "Morse Taper #3" and is ground on the tools shank and in the spindle nose. It is a drill shank (and some reamers) taper, and is no good for holding straight shank end mills and milling tools.

R8 is the collet taper and is what is found on most small mills. It does not contact the tool directly, but instead contacts a tool holding collet that then holds the tool. It is a much better holding system and is an industry standard.

Go for the R8 over the MT3.

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thats kind of what I was afraid of.. Iknow nothing about metal working machines[much] The machine shop course in high school and tech in the 60's were more interesting to me than english or history but not NEARLY as interesting as the the baby dolls walking the halls, so I learned little about mills or lathes and less about history. I am still trying to figure the women out!! I just bought a mill/drill machine at a traveling tool sale. It is a cheap Chinese made thing, comparatable to the ones I had wanted for years from ENCO or Harbor Freight,both of which have R8 spindles. The one I bought from HOMIER looks identical to the Harbor freight machine,however it has a MT spindle as opposed to the R8 on the others.I am not saying anything negative[yet] because the Homier machine cost $600 and the others are $1000. I only want the machine to play with in my spare time,so it will probally be OK for me. I'll probally do more drilling than milling anyway,but wanted to get some tooling and thats why I asked for your help. Thanks and any more info is greatly appreciated

steve
  • Options
    dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will need 3mt draw bar end mill holders.(we sell them at wttool.com), a good site for info, parts and accessories is littlemachineshop.com
    There are some mini-mill groups at yahoo groups also.
    Don

eng.JPG
    Welcome to America...Now speak English.
    ````````````````````````
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Dongizmo is right. I also think that someone sells (Universal maybe) an E3 collet arbor that has an MT3 connection. Put that baby in the spindle with a draw bar, and use E3 collets for mill cutters. Not as large of a range, but should do nicely.

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank Ya boys; The info is greatly appreciated,and I am glad to get it. Hope I can help someone someday

steve