In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gun safe/cabinet

SilverBoxSilverBox Member Posts: 2,347
edited April 2003 in General Discussion
I'm thinking of buying this cabinet/safe

http://www.milcompass.com/gunsafe_9.htm

I wanted to get a stouter one with a firewall, but my budget for a safe isn't as large as I originally estimated.

What do you guys think of this one? Anyone have it?

It looks like its 14 Guage steel to me from a quick surface area to weight calculation.

I'm probably gonna buy this one in the next couple hours. Shipping to cali is $80.

Comments

• Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw two models of these at Sports Authority.
    You might want to look at them there and see if the model numbers and price are the same.

Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was in the local sports authority on sunday I didn't see any safes.. Do you remember the prices?
  • Options
    rmeyerrmeyer Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those safes are under 200. Will keep the kids out but a theif could get in easily.
  • Options
    pikeal1pikeal1 Member Posts: 2,707
    edited November -1
    Silverbox....I bought one at sports authority just this Monday. Paid $150 for it. Has two doors. One side holds 7 long guns...the other side has three shelves plus the floor for storing ammo or hand guns. Isn't a heavy safe...but more like a storage cabinet. It has four hols for bolting it to the wall if you want.

here is the one I bought...well....not mine..but a picture from the website [:D]

36028.jpg

"The only way American citizens can adequately be protected from terror and violence is when" those in authority protect us from those who would harm us, instead of protecting us from ourselves.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yeah I know they are not all that secure rmeyer.. Maybe I should just wait and spend a grand and buy sumpin stout.
  • Options
    rmeyerrmeyer Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Teton series from American Security. It ran me about 400 and it is pretty solid. Not firelined but it would take work getting into it. It weighs about 400 pounds empty. It is bolted to the cement floor in my garage.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,432 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SB,

STOP!

Go Wal Mart and look at their Sentry safes. They have one just slightly larger and it's a real safe, not a cabinet. It's also the same price as yours and no shipping. They have a firelined model for and extra $150. or so but I wouldn't recommend it. I just don't feel it's worth the extra money. Not that firelineing isn't good, just that in a big house fire, you probably still are going to loose your items.

BTW, I have all 3 I just mentioned. I use the Sentry safes for items that are not as valuable as others. The good stuff goes in the big safe. The Homak I modified by adding shelves and use it for ammo storage only.

cbxjeffIt's too late for me, save yourself.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I asked at one of the local wal-marts and they said they only get them around hunting season (september october) and you can't order them. I'll go check out the couple of other local wal-marts and see if they have them. They don't seem to list them on their web site.

http://www.sentrysafe.com/guns.cfm?

these are the ones your talking about?

edit:

found this

http://www.knightmuzzleloaders.com/Safes.html

380+100 for shipping plus I gotta pick it up at yellow dock.. blah.. hehehe. Maybe I'll wait till wal-mart has them :)
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check this site out.
    http://www.equipmentland.com/gunsafety/homakguncabs/homakguncabinets.html

Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,432 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SB,

Yes, these are the safes. Nothing really fancy but welded construction and reasonably solid. Heavy enough not to be carried out loaded. If you want my opinion (and you really haven't asked) go ahead and get the Homak. Find it locally. We have sporting goods stores that stock them in Indy. Look around. Why pay $80 shipping on a $280 item? Check past "safe" posts. EVERYONE will tell you that you will buy too small. Hey, I'm the poster boy for that thought! My point is, use the Homak for now and this fall look at Wal Mart. BTW, all those "will hold XX long guns" are lies!

Good luck.

cbxjeffIt's too late for me, save yourself.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't plan on this being my only safe/cabinet. Its just the first one, for now.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    I bought mine about 12 years ago, The best thing I have done,[:D] When I was looking I found out that you Pay for pretty,[V] I went to a big Gun show and their were a lot of safes their. found one that aint to pretty for a $1.00 a pound, the safe weighs 800# I got it for $800.00 Holds 60 Long guns, Is not fire proof I put it in my reloading room out in my shop, and Ran a water line over top of it and put one of them Fire sprinklers on it. Any Welder can make one and any lock smith can put a combo lock on one. Remember they are just big metal box's. All so I think they are cheep, They will cost you about the price of one Good Scoped Rifle.[8D]
  • Options
    woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two of these.(14 gun)
    http://www.kennedymfg.com/15201530.htm
    The floors in the second story of my 100 year old house wouldn't take the weight of a real safe. I did alot of looking and felt the locking bar design on the Kennedys was much stouter than on the Homaks. Mine is bolted to the floor and wall. I also added a false bottom and store about 100 lbs of spare bullet casting alloy under there. I figure with all the guns in them they go around 450-500lbs each. Most burglers want to hit and run, I believe the statistic is less than 20 minutes inside your home. These would be more than adequate to stop the majority of burglers. Check around to the places that sell tools to industry in your area. Any of them that sell kennedy tool boxes can get these.

Woods
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Sentry's at walmart seem like the ticket, I tried a different walmart last night and they said to call the sporting goods manager today to see about ordering one. So we'll see if they can get one in for me sooner then hunting season :)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Got off the phone they have 6 of the model I want on order and will recieve them in 7-10 days. Guess I have to wait till then :)
  • Options
    Mr. LoboMr. Lobo Member Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SilverBox, The safe company told me you can fire line your own safe once you get it home with drywall. That is what I did but I have not tested it yet. [8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah I already thought of that one. I also thought of building a small enclosure with 2x4's that was just a lil bigger then the safe and putting a door on it and lining the interior and exterior of the enclosure with 5/8" sheet rock to give you a 1 hour fire wall around the safe, without haveing to modify the safe.
  • Options
    Mr. LoboMr. Lobo Member Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are all over it... Have fun!

Jim
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Recipe for Econo,Do it yourself 24 gun (plus extra storage)
    purdy fire-proof and plenty heavy storage cabinet.

ingredients: 2-SENTRY 12 gun cabinets $350
    1-Flammable liquid storage cabinet designed
    for 2 55 gal drums (side x side).Avalable
    at industrial surplus (used)stores
    (paid $200 for mine in excellent shape)
    Enough sheetrock to line it with.
    (avalable from construction sites every where)
    (just kidding)
    misc. bolts,nuts etc.(plenty in your junk drawer)

1. Make sure you bought a big enough cabinet that both SENTRY's
    will fit and doors will open fully.
    2. Mount SENTRY's SxS on back wall of cabinet (low,high,center,
    whatever makes you happy).
    3. Line with sheetrock.
    4. Call at least 2 buddy's to come over for a free beer.
    (Cause you ain't movin' it by yourself)

And there you have it.24 gun capacity(Can you really get 12 guns
    in each SENTRY? I can't.)
    fairly fire-proof(Put in on an outside wall,it won't get as hot.)
    Three locks (one on each door)
    All for under $600.00

Works for me anyway

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well I bought the 14 gun Sentry this weekend. It looks good bolted to the wall in my closet.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Silver,

I have one of those 8 gun cheapies that I got at the Sports Authority. Works good enough though I'm running out of space it it.

Anyways, I found a good way of camoflaging it even further in my closet. I got one of those carry luggage hanging suit bags, you know put your business suit in it & it folds in half. Anyways I hang the suit bag over the front of the safe. Gives it a little added camoflage.

Regards,
    190191.gif
  • Options
    madmarc0madmarc0 Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went out and bought a Liberty safe with all the bells and whistles and now it has shrunk ! I feel like all the advice I had given in previous posts about buying bigger was in vain! I am going to buy one of the cheaper Sentry or Homak safes for my ammo and accessories and keep the big one for my expensive rifles etc....
    I found out my insurance company will not insure any firearms over 2000.00 PERIOD. You may want to think about fire protection for your "next" gun safe and keep it next to an outside wall.
    I don't want some of my old Winchesters that have survived over 100 years to meet their demise with me!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Don't get a homak. I checked it all out the Sentry is far superior. It has locking lugs and a handle not just a couple of locks and the steel is much thicker 3mm for the sides and 6mm for the door where the homack is like 12 or 14 Gauge all around, which is less then a millimeter.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the 14 gun model of the Sentry safe & have trouble getting more than eleven guns in it. It would be easier if the barrels were shorter but the top shelf makes it harder with the longer barrels.
    It is much better though than the two homark type ones that I have.
    One concern I have with them is the exposed locks on the inside.
    If one of the guns fell into the lock it could jamb it in such a way you couldn,t get it open.
    K-Mart has the Homark types for under $100 but I would still prefer the Sentry.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    One last advantage for the Sentry vs. the Homak if your state requires that you buy a gun lock with each gun purchase you can get out of buying a bunch of useless locks if you have a safe (the Homak doesn't qualify), I already have a big enough lock collection :)

Gruntled,

Mine came with a fabric cover for the interior side of the door, yours is exposed??
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    SilverBox: I believe there are two brands similar to the Homark & I bought mine so long ago I am not sure which brand mine are. Both brands have the locks exposed on the inside just as you can see in
    the pictures that were posted above. If someone tried to manhandle them or in an earthquake I am concerned the doors could be jambed if guns or other items fell into the locks.
    I have been told by the salespeople at Turner's Outdoorsman that the Homark cabinets are now on the Kalifornia Department of Justices
    approved list.

http://justice.doj.ca.gov/safetydevice/dsearch2.asp?select=model
  • Options
    PRZNCOP110PRZNCOP110 Member Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Madmarc0, dont feel bad, my insurance only covers $500. And of course, now I need a bigger safe because I filled this one up faster than I had expected.

"SOCIETY PREPARES THE CRIME, THE CRIMINAL COMMITS IT"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The homak is one the list, what a joke, I could cough my way into a homak :)