In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

? for you Southern Gentlemen

Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I had forgotten how good sweet tea was until I had some today. What tea bags/instant/or other type tea do you guys, or your wives use to make the real stuff.

Thanks a lot. [:D]

Comments

• trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    Red Diamond in Alabama !
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Chicken Express...
  • redhead71redhead71 Member Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you can get a hold of red dimond, it is the best!! if not lipton cold brew through a ice tea machine will work!
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Red Diamond, in a gallon Glass jar, in the sun. The ONLY way to brew it!! SMOOOoooooth...
  • EO1EO1 Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Alabamian in Colorado here. Best I can find in these parts is Luzianne.
  • ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on red diamond
  • wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lipton.

I am the designated tea maker at home and at the fire station. At home, a gallon of tea will last about 4 days. At the fire station, between the 5 of us there, we will go through 2 gallons per shift during the summer.

The secret to good sweet tea is a full dissolving of the sugar, and the correct amount of sugar per gallon (1 1/2 - 2 cups).

4 family size bags in 1 1/2 quarts of water. After it comes to a rolling boil, turn off the burner. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Pour the sugar (1 1/2 - 2 cups) in the pitcher. Pour the tea from the stovetop in the pitcher. Stir that up for about 2 minutes. Now, put the pitcher under the faucet, turn on the water (cold), and keep stirring while the pitcher fills up.

Next, get yourself a quart Mason jar filled 1/2 with ice, fill it up with tea, and you've got yourself the best beverage in existence.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member Posts: 29,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Red Diamond is great pre-made off the shelf tea. Just be sure to drink it in 4 days be cause it goes bad fast.

If you wanna brew your own, get tetley tea.

And last resort you can hit Chic Fil a and get there tea by the gallon.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Luzianne- and to me, the best tea is still sun tea- never boiled.
  • proappproapp Member Posts: 3,264
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wsfiredude
    Lipton.

I am the designated tea maker at home and at the fire station. At home, a gallon of tea will last about 4 days. At the fire station, between the 5 of us there, we will go through 2 gallons per shift during the summer.

The secret to good sweet tea is a full dissolving of the sugar, and the correct amount of sugar per gallon (1 1/2 - 2 cups).

4 family size bags in 1 1/2 quarts of water. After it comes to a rolling boil, turn off the burner. Let it sit for 5 minutes. Pour the sugar (1 1/2 - 2 cups) in the pitcher. Pour the tea from the stovetop in the pitcher. Stir that up for about 2 minutes. Now, put the pitcher under the faucet, turn on the water (cold), and keep stirring while the pitcher fills up.

Next, get yourself a quart Mason jar filled 1/2 with ice, fill it up with tea, and you've got yourself the best beverage in existence.

you nailed it, wife been doing it for years. tea and nailin it,me i mean
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by proapp
    Lipton.

[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't use instant tea.[xx(] It just isn't good at all, its gross, I can't drink that crap. Red Diamond and other premade stuff, is only good if you don't have time to make your own.

For tea bags use, Community, Luzianne, or Lipton.

Luzianne has 10% more tea per bag then Lipton, the Community is a great blend as well. They both make a nice dark brew, and are some kind of good.
  • proappproapp Member Posts: 3,264
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by proapp
    Lipton.

[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

report from wifey, the family bags sometime open tho...i am but a humble messanger in the land of the tea gods
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I hate instant tea! Instant cofee too!
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 17,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lipton.

The trick to smooth tasting tea is to just bring it to a boil and immediately remove it from the heat. All flavor from the leaves is released at the boiling point. You don't gain more strength from boiling the crap out of it, you'll just end up with a less smooth flavor.

Mix all sugar in and completely dissolve it while this initial amount is still hot, then add cool water until your pitcher is full.
    edited November -1
    The trick to smooth tasting tea is to just bring it to a boil and immediately remove it from the heat.

+1
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,245 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate sweet tea, no sugar in mine please
  • 204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    Lipton extra sweet. Used to be called southern style. Very tasty.
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    Mr. Coffee Iced Tea Machine. 4 Family size tea bags ( I use Sam's Choice Decaffeinated). No ice in the pitcher. Add sugar as soon as the pitcher turns off. My Mama used to make it on the stove in a pot of boiling water, but I can't. The iced tea machine serves me very well. Used to go through a gallon a day.
  • Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks a lot everyone. We were at the grocery this evening and I was looking in the tea section and realized I didn't know what the heck I was looking for. Then I told the wife, "I know where I can find out". I did see Lipton, and Luzianne tea, but I don't remember seeing Red Diamond. I might have to buy several and make a taste test.[:D]

Thanks again.

PS. I've been drinking that instant tea for a couple of years out of sheer ignorance, because I forgot what real tea tasted like, no more.
  • kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thats how my mother made it, and thats how my wife makes it.

STUFF IS OFF THE HOOK!

Lipton.

• ATHOMSONATHOMSON Member Posts: 3,399 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by remingtonoaks
    I hate sweet tea, no sugar in mine please

+1

AT
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I pick and dry my own tea leaves. Store bought just don't cut it.
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drjew
    Mr. Coffee Iced Tea Machine. 4 Family size tea bags ( I use Sam's Choice Decaffeinated). No ice in the pitcher. Add sugar as soon as the pitcher turns off. My Mama used to make it on the stove in a pot of boiling water, but I can't. The iced tea machine serves me very well. Used to go through a gallon a day.

I have the ice tea maker also. I do use the ice and add the sugar before the water. I also add some lemon juice. Don
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    The reason I don't add the ice in the pitcher is because sugar won't dissolve as well in a cold liquid. I just put the sugar in the water in the pitcher and let the hot tea dissolve it. Then I let it sit out on the counter for about an hour before putting it in the fridge. Fresh tea sux. Make tomorrows tea today.
  • bandcollectorbandcollector Member Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Txs
    Lipton.

The trick to smooth tasting tea is to just bring it to a boil and immediately remove it from the heat. All flavor from the leaves is released at the boiling point. You don't gain more strength from boiling the crap out of it, you'll just end up with a less smooth flavor.

Mix all sugar in and completely dissolve it while this initial amount is still hot, then add cool water until your pitcher is full.
    you are correct sir