In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Assembling guns from parts kits.

Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
edited October 2004 in General Discussion
Besides the AR-15, what other guns can be assembled from complete kits + reciever with basic tools laying around the house?

FAL? AK-47 variants? 1911's?

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
-Benjamin Franklin

Comments

• Options
    markcpmarkcp Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a big change from the guns you were talking about, but many options in black powder kits. From rifles to pistols. I just bought a .50 Hawkins kit from Cabela's, the finished rifle was only $20.00 more. This is a retirement present, so he will have plenty of time to put the kit together, or exchange it for one that's finished. Thanks, Mark

If the are round....They are down...
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you can build these kits at home if you have a good homeworkshop, but it helps to work with someone who has done it before. I built an excellent example of an FAL using parts kit, but it was enabled by help from friends at local community college. A friend of mine is an instructor at the college. We used the machine shop and had access to very accurate measuring tools, all kinds of clamps and vices, punches, drifts, parts cleaning equipment etc. One guy had already built an FAL, three friends went in on parts kits(we bought five kits) to get a better price. One guy bought a video, and another had already bought headspace gauges etc.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I assebled a 45LC revolver out of a black powder revolver and a conversion cylinder. It shoots cowboy loadings. No BG check required. [:D]

I'd like to try my hand at 1911.

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    drobs, I remember when you did. I still want to buy a bp revolver and do that swap.

-Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    An FAL requires only normal hand tools, A good vise, and a GOOD 1 1/16" wrench, and headspace guages.

I just finished my first AK, A good hammer, a 3/8x4" bolt for a riveting punch, a small punch to drive out old rivets, screwdriver, drill, bits and a 10-32 tap.- I riveted everything but the front trunion, because I couldn't get the barrel out.

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do it for the fun of it not to save money. I have built three over the years. Endless hours of fun but I have never been satisfied with them. I kept taking one apart & redoing it so many times I finally
    ruined it. (Four shot pepperbox.) I did get two hockey tickets for it at a gun turn in.
  • Options
    STRIPPER-TIPPERSTRIPPER-TIPPER Member Posts: 323 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hmmmmmm,lets see. Depends on what exactly you are going for. I buy MG parts kits for semi conversions. If you buy the semi parts pre machined - a 1919a4 isn't too bad.Just riviting. I currently have or have coming in a sten mk2,sterling,1928,cz26,mg34,maxim,L1a1,1919a4,dp28,ppsh48,bar,zb37,m2hb and I am looking at more. Check out weaponeer.net for parts kit group buys and building info. Some kits have semi receivers available complete or as 80%. The 80% receivers can need from a little basic work to needing a full machine shop like I have.
  • Options
    HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    You can purchase all the parts needed to assemble a safe, shooter Luger.

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.
  • Options
    phxtravisphxtravis Member Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    following up on his question...which is easier to build, say an STG-58 or and AK variant(probably and AMD-65)

CMMG M4A2
    CavArms 14.5"/1.5"
    Oly 20" HBAR
    Spring 1911-A1
    SIG 220
    S&W 629 Classic
    Ruger MK1
    Mossberg 500A
    Marlin/Glenfield Mod 60
    Mosin-Nagant M38
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Amd-65's are a snap to build.
    My last one cost me a grand total of $95 ready to shoot & a lot of fun to build.
    [8D][8D]barto

Win some, lose some.
    Winning's better.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    FAL's are much easier to build than an AK, all you have to do is screw parts together. On the other hands AK's are exceedingly cheep to build, I have about $250 in my AMD-65, where it is hard to find a nice FAL kit for that much, usually you get $500 or more into a complete rifle.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for your ideas and info.

STRIPPER-TIPPER, I will check out that website, thanks!

Hairy, never thought of a Luger before. Sounds challenging.

barto or richbug, any machining or proffesional tooling needed for the AMD-65? They look really sweet and that is what I was thinking of putting together for an AK project. If its just a matter of buying a complete reciever and that parts kit I am all over that. Any place you recommend buying a kit/reciever from?

-Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I bought my parts kit from tapco.com, they had them with the compliance parts for $120-180. the reciever came from Ohio ordnance, it was $60. Tapco has new 20 AMD mags for $5. I bolted in the front trunion, so I needed a 5/32 drill and a #10-32 tap for those bolts, a hand drill or drill press, a vise or anvil, and a file or two to fit the parts.

• Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    richbug, did you weld the muzzlebreak on the AMD barrel extension?

Kerry003.jpg
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I make my own recievers & put everything together with button-head screws. Weld the barrel extension on (silver solder).
    My 2 kits (AMD-65) were $59 each on a Centerfire sale.
    Not too popular but Century has 7-piece compliance parts packages for under $30.
    My next project will be building an AK47 pistol from an AMD-65 kit.
    Wish me luck!
    [^][^]barto

Win some, lose some.
    Winning's better.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good luck with your project barto! Post pictures when done. [:D]

-Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Red, yeah, I blind pinned and welded the muzzle extention and break, it comes in at a tidy 16.125". I shot it a little over the weekend,120 rounds, ran 100%. It shot about 5" at 50 yards off hand, but the biggest trouble is keeping the sights lined up, not having a cheekrest.