In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Don't make fun now...

mousemouse Member Posts: 3,624
edited October 2002 in General Discussion
I took my new Sako 30-06 target shooting. It was
sweet. My husband was hitting cans at 300 yards.
I on the other hand only hit the rifle target 3 times
out of 6. Not in the circle. Next day my bicep
on my right arm was a little sore. I think I'd be
better of using a bi-pod. I was firing from different
positions, kneeling and sitting, standing. After
5-6 times of firing, my arms were tired. The kick to
the shoulder area was much milder than my 16 guage I
thought. I wonder if I'm breathing correctly when
I squeeze the trigger gently. Please help!!! I want
to be a good shot.

Comments

• Options
    paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    My guess is that you may be flinching. Practice, Practice,Practice
    Start shooting at 50yds until you repeatly can hit where u aim, then gradually move out to longer ranges.
    Practice, practice, practice.

Edited by - nunn on 10/31/2002 22:34:10
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shoot from a rest and bench. It won't help with the practical position shooting, but one must first understand how the whole, grip/breathing/trigger pull thing works as one motion. After you have the breathing thing down, and the correct hold on the rifle, and can hit the x-ring consistently, then add the difficulty of shooting from a practical position.

A great rifle with a junk scope,....is junk.
  • Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have the butt placed properly against your shoulder and your bicep is sore it sounds as if you may be gripping to hard in anticipation of the recoil. Relax and get the feel of the firearm before you worry about accuracy. Once you are used to the recoil and sound (if you are not wearing hearing protection) and feel comfortable using it, then work on accuracy. Have you checked the length of the stock to ensure it rests comfortably against your shoulder without having to overextend to reach the trigger housing? This may be a problem as well. Being of a shorter stature than most I prefer a mini-14 for ease of handling. I find the higher calibers are made for a person of a height I will never achieve.

***There's a difference between living and living well!***
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm 5-9 and stock was measured. You may be right on
    holding the gun too tight. Thanks for the good
    advice everyone.
  • Options
    vol fanvol fan Member Posts: 301 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1. Bipods are great, practical accuracy enhancers. I seldom leave home without one.

2. Try a PAST Recil Shield or Recoil Pad (probably in Midway catalog). They do a great job of spreading the recoil out over a larger area of skin so it seems less.

Proud member of the vast right wing conspiracy
  • Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    Sarah (Miss GHD) uses a Herean recoil sheild made for women. It fits on your bra strap. The Past Recoil shields are more efficient though. One thing I noticed in one of the posts mentioned "getting use to the noise and recoil if you're not wearing hearing protection". DO NOT SHOOT WITHOUT HEARING PROTECTION!!!! The results can be a real problem to deal with later on!! GHD
  • Options
    edited November -1
    More great advice. I for sure will never shoot without
    hearing protection. Was cocktail waitressing at
    the Omaha Press club years ago, and got to meet one
    of my childhood idols. Hugh O'brien. Used to play
    the sheriff Wyatt Earp. Handsome guy still. What a
    sweet gentleman. I noticed he was wearing hearing
    aides in both ears. This kind man noticed my noticing,
    and told me they were from his days of Wyatt Earp.
    (This after my sharing I had the biggest crush on
    him when he did this series.) What a hunk!
  • Options
    BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    I was told by a wise old shooter (or wise a-- at times) always keep your head/cheek position firm against the stock - WOOD TO WOOD - as he called it. If you are having to raise your head away from the stock to view through the scope, you do not get a good firm hold on the firearm and you don't have the consistency of holding in the same position in relation to your arm. I don't know if this is a problem but it can be solved by adding a cheek/comb leather pad to your rifle stock. I use one on my #1 ruger in .280 - it improved my accuracy and consistancy. You should also get some shoulder protection as stated, the 30-06 does have a bite.......

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks bluetic, i have a monticello stock.
  • Options
    SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    300 yards is a bloody long way for anybody, never mind a new shooter. Especially if you're shooting at pop cans.
    Move to 100, sight in the rifle yourself(hubby can't do it for you)off a bench using a sand bag rest not a bipod, do some strength exercises(upper body tone is essential for off hand shooting. You're holding up about 8 lbs and trying to hold it still), load up some lighter loads(you don't need 220 grain moose loads to punch paper. a 168 grain match bullet loaded to suit your rifle is way better and easier on your shoulder), take aim, take a deep breath, let it out take another and let half of it out then gently pull, yes pull(squeezing is a misnomer. a trigger is a lever. you pull it.)the trigger, concentrate on the target not the trigger(the rifle will go bang when it's ready) and ALWAYS WEAR HEARING AND EYE PROTECTION WHEN SHOOTING. And have fun. That's what shooting is about. Not a competition with your other half.