In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Sad day in Huskerville

IAMAHUSKERIAMAHUSKER Member Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2003 in General Discussion
They fired head coach Frank Solich Saturday evening. He goes 7-7 last year then goes 9-3 (10-3 if he wins the bowl game) this year and gets the boot for it. I know most of you could careless but that really sucks. Big money college athletics I guess.

Comments

• BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Looks to me like some lucky school
    will have a chance to get themselves
    a good coach.I agree 100% that sports
    have gotten way too important for most
    of the schools out there.With a 9-3 (10-3?)
    record,I sure would have given it one more
    year.

Texas 46
    Texas A+M 15

Hook'em Horns

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Spring CreekSpring Creek Member Posts: 1,260
    edited November -1
    "Big Money College Athletics", is a "Given".
    I too am a Husker fan and may have "Mixed" feelings on how the
    firing was handled.
    BUT, Frank is not "Creative" in recruiting or play calling.
    He is NOT a strict enough Disciplinarian!
    He does not have the "Respect" of the big % of players and this shows in their "Off-Field" behavior and lack of emotion and attitude on the
    field.
    It takes a certain "Presence" about a Coach and Frank doesn't have it!
    The $800,000.00plus "Pay-Off" package should alleviate some "Hurt" for Frank.
  • trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hardly a sad day at all....Solich couldn't recruit worth a damn, kept a mediocre quarterback in for most of the game, and seemed hell-bent on adhering to a run-run-run-run-run-maybe-throw-run-some more philosophy that was all too easy for COMPETENT opposing coaches to effectively neutralize. The Chokehuskers either beat up on weak opponents, or played like whipped dogs--and LOST--when they started to fall behind in a game against another team which had the nerve to show "Big Red" that they weren't intimidated by them. It's not that hard to manage a 9 and 3 season when you play a schedule as soft as Nebraska's. Only the intellectually dishonest amongst us would deny that this has been the case---ask yourself, what TRULY good, or even DECENT teams, has Nebraska beaten this year? You can't say "Penn State", or "Colorado", or really ANY of the teams Nebraska stumbled by for the victory this season. And look at the offense: damn near guaranteed not to score, once inside the red-zone. One of the most inept and unproductive offenses on record. The defense? Generally decent, with tendencies towards Swiss cheese when it comes to the passing attack by a competent opposing team. Quarterback selection--why, stick with Jammal Lord, by all means! He's at best a mediocre passer with not much real speed for running, but what of it? Never mind Joe Daily, who has a much better arm. After all, in Solich's Huskers, players like Daily are as dispensable as guys like Curt Dukes, another potential passing QB. If they don't like it, they can leave....

Nope, not a sad day at all. New broom sweeps clean, and all that. Maybe now Nebraska will get a coach who thinks recruiting is actually important; one who can put some fire into his team's belly; one who thinks maybe it's time to quit playing football like it's 1899, and start balancing the run/pass attack scheme.
  • Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    Still 9-3, no bad for a coach who ha no inagination.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nebraska won against Oklahoma State (barely, it was OSU that beat OSU, not Nebraska).
    I didn't know if it was the coaching that made the run the only play for Nebraska, or if it was the player talent. A good coach will adapt the plays to the players, not the other way 'round (of course you can get the players to fit the desired scheme with recruitments).
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.