In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Kel-Tec .380 For the Ladies?

SilverkingSilverking Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
edited September 2005 in General Discussion
I was in my favorite gun store (Larry's in Huntsville, AL[:D])and a little Kel-Tec .380 cought my eye for the wife[:p]. I was thinking it would make a nice purse gun for her and a nice pocket gun for me on our occasional trips to Atlanta.

The quality seemed to be there but I never heard any good or bad on the little meanie. Is it a jammer or something that is going to save your lovely wife's sweet as[:0]?

Comments

• Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Mine doesn't jam.
    I ain't no lovely wife..and nobody ever said I have a sweet a**....but mine runs fine with whatever I put thru it.
  • Options
    SilverkingSilverking Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Highball. I think I'm going to get one. It certainly is smaller and less expensive than the smallest Glock. It felt like quality - and if you say yours is reliable than I'm in.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine is carried all day, every day.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy one first and both try it.
    Operating the slide and stiff recoil with hotter loads may be a bit much for the wife though the lady gunsmiths at Keltec do it all day.
    If you limp wrist it, Brass may hit you in the forehead.
    It's a good choice if she can handle it.
  • Options
    cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to ridicule these little rascals, but then a friend got one...and guess what his works, and mine works too. I have over 350 rounds through mine with 5 types of ammo--ZERO malfunctions of any kind!
  • Options
    Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
    edited November -1
    Bought one for my wife. She likes it. It is so light and easy to carry you forget its there.

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's mine, it the second generation. Only time I'm without it, is when I'm packing something bigger[;)]
    p3at.jpg
  • Options
    meunkemeunke Member Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was actually thinking of picking up it or a p32 for my mom.

She's 68, in great health (works with my dad on a farm) and the smallest pistol my dad has is an old Cheif Special .38, which is a little too big for her. (she's about 5'3") I figure a light, DOA that fits small hands is just what's needed.

"The fact is that when politics want to bring redemption, they promise too much. When they presume to do God's work, they do not become divine but diabolical."
    - Cardinal Ratzinger, now Pope Benedict XVI
  • Options
    meunkemeunke Member Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One question I do have, is this:

The KelTec is a locked breech, right? It's not a straight blow-back? So that means it's easier for ladies to work the slide on it instead of, say, a Makarov of the same caliber?

"The fact is that when politics want to bring redemption, they promise too much. When they presume to do God's work, they do not become divine but diabolical."
    - Cardinal Ratzinger, now Pope Benedict XVI
  • Options
    WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    Does the Kel-Tec .380 have the long trigger pull like the P-11? My wife is thinking about getting her concealed carry permit. I've started to look around at revolvers, but this thread has me wondering about small semi-autos.

texasC.gifthumb_Texas-AM.jpg

"If guns kill people, then I can blame my pencil for my spelling mistakes!" -- Larry the Cable Guy
  • Options
    groovinmonkeygroovinmonkey Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the p11 9mm and I would trust my life to it. For 200 measly dollars, I would go so far as to say its one of the best values for the buck! 10 shots and one of the smallest and lightest 9's on the market. Haven't shot the .380 but if its anywhere near as reliable as the p11, its definately a gun worth having.

Monkey says:
    crowded elevator smells different to a midget
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It has a locked breech but having so light a slide, it requires a heavy slide spring.
  • Options
    CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We T&E'd one of the .32 & .380's and really beat them up good. Not one problem.

PJ

editorialcolor.bmp
    If nobody seen you do it, how could you have done it. NRA PATRON-LIFE Member, AF&AM, Shriner Life Member, A.B.A.T.E. of Illinois "Chicago Chapter" Founding Member & Board Member
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Get the .380. If the recoil is too much, contact me for a possible trade for a .32 w/ less than one box through it.

Ben

00tinybuck.gif
  • Options
    CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ben, what happened to the cubby logo.[?]

PJ
    Wait til next year[:D][8D]

editorialcolor.bmp
    If nobody seen you do it, how could you have done it. NRA PATRON-LIFE Member, AF&AM, Shriner Life Member, A.B.A.T.E. of Illinois "Chicago Chapter" Founding Member & Board Member
  • Options
    gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    I say buy one send it to me and I will be happy to give you a woman opinion on it [:D]

its all about pucks and bucks
    smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    SperrySperry Member Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by groovinmonkey
    I have the p11 9mm and I would trust my life to it. For 200 measly dollars,

Ahh, I would have said "for 200 fine Yankee dollars ..."

========= E N D - O F - S A R C A S M ===============

You can get a Seecamp .32, their LWS32, used for $290, and the guarantee follows the GUN, not the OWNER. A much finer choice, in my humble, humble, opinion [IMHHO].

My wife won't touch my guns, so it is a youth baseball bat in easy reach of the front door.
    A Louisville 125Y. 34" of time-worn ash, with a tightly taped 1" grip.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's true the Seecamp is finer and much heavier. It's only a 32ACP.
    Keltec sights arent that good but Seecamps have no sights at all.
    My P11 and P3AT were both bought used at $160 and $215 respectively.
    On a visit to their plant last year both guns were updated and reconditioned as necessary, gratis. Even the dim tritium sights were replaced free.
    I walked in cold and they treated me as if I had an appointment.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry mine EVERY DAY at work. My boss has asked me why I carry my billfold in the front pocket, but never suspected a thing... [:D]

http://bambihunter.myftp.org/images/Keltec_P3AT.JPG
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,576 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dats a big picture of such a little gun!!!

Working at the gun shop, we sent more than a few back with broken trigger return springs. Something to keep an eye out for.

Of the women that came into the range, most prefered Glock 19's and one delicate asian woman loved the Kimber Stainless fulsize 1911!!

Take your wife you out shooting all of your guns 1st. Before you buy something for her. You may find that she likes full power guns better!!!

A few years ago I taught my friend's 55 year old mom to shoot. She was one hole grouping with my Colt 70 series after a few magazines!!!
    I kicked her husband off the range for unsafe gun handling and being an idiot.

That little pocket pistol keltec is not going to help a new shooter want to shoot more!

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I didn't think too much of the Keltec pistols when they first came out. I have heard good things about them. I know about half a dozen LEO officers who carry the Keltec .380 as their off duty gun, one police chief who carries it as his primary duty gun. These guys have put many rounds through their guns, chief of police even used his to qualify with shooting at distances up to 25 yards. Very concealable, reliable, lightweight, and not very expensive. what more do you want?
  • Options
    NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    Just in terms of carry ...I alternate between the P3AT and the Seecamp early mornings when I do my street walk/run. Either is excellent in the shorts pocket, in small holsters, and neither is so big it bounces uncomfortably when I'm running.
  • Options
    The TinmanThe Tinman Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry the P3AT, but keep in mind, it has a very sharp recoil, and it does take some grip strength to work the slide. The long trigger-pull it the only "safety" on this piece, and it is double-action only.
    I've never had a problem, but I've heard that if you shoot the pistol with a limp wrist, you get FTE problems, that might also be a consideration for a lady.
    The P32 is a much "nicer" gun to shoot.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    We have had a few of them, and I enjoy them...Great guns, easy to work the slide for a lady as is the 32 and 9mm p11....Good guns for the money and you cant beat the warranty....

Also small enough to carry in any handbag.....

I prefer a .45 but that is just me..

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion

Tibetan proverb: "It is easy to see the fly on the other person's nose, while ignoring the horse on your own".
  • Options
    dallas.comdallas.com Member Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What do you mean by "second generation"
  • Options
    PointerPointer Member Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bambiehunter,who makes that wallet/holster?

quote:Originally posted by bambihunter
    I carry mine EVERY DAY at work. My boss has asked me why I carry my billfold in the front pocket, but never suspected a thing... [:D]

http://bambihunter.myftp.org/images/Keltec_P3AT.JPG

Ohio
    Constitution,Artical 1,Section 4

bf0x0gm2.jpg
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Pointer...

The pic provided by bambihunter is so large I couldnt tell exactly what the holster was like, but I did find this for you...

http://www.keepshooting.com/firearmaccessories/holsters/triplek_wallet_holster.htm

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion

Tibetan proverb: "It is easy to see the fly on the other person's nose, while ignoring the horse on your own".
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Pointer
    Bambiehunter,who makes that wallet/holster?

Here's the exact place I bought mine:
    http://www.pocketholsters.com/Kel-Tec_Pocket_Holsters/kel-tec_pocket_holsters.html

It fits absolutely perfect. My only complaint is that it is a bit rough on the inside and is abrasive on the guns slide finish. But, I bought it for a CCW gun, so it's not a big deal to me (but might be to you)...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.