In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Serious Glock Question.

cntrmasscntrmass Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
edited May 2005 in General Discussion
I have been looking and researching buying a pistol alot lately.I came across a Glock 29 in 10mm which I wasnt to excited about 10mm recoil in such a light pistol but I started to think.Does anyone here know if a Glock 29 has aftermarket barrels that will drop in so I can shoot .40s&w and .357SIG from the same gun?I checked Bar Sto and it had all three calibers including 9x23 Winchester but it didnt specify what barrel was selected on their order page.I have Glocks number but I would like to resolve it here if possible so I dont have to make a long distance call.Im trying to shoot 10mm/.40s&w/.357SIG from the same gun but swapping out barrels for each different caliber is this possible?

Comments

• Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
    I'm going to say no. The 10mm is longer than either the 40 or 357. It's this length that stops it from interchanging. Now, if it were a 40, then you could chage calibers to 357, 9mm(maybe), etc.

Dance Hippo. Dance.
    hippohula.gif
  • young n dumyoung n dum Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    best of my knowledge you can swap the 40 and .357sig but not the .40 and 10mm

imay not know it all.....but at least I know that!
  • cntrmasscntrmass Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was thinking that since all 3 have the same case circumference the extractor would work to feed and eject the same and since it would be 3 different barrels it would have different chambers to fit each corresponding caliber so it seemed though it would work as long as each barrel was the same except for the machineing for the chamber.
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    cntrmass: no go. case length prohibits thit to the best of my knowledge. 40-357 yes, but not to 10. soory

nremtpatch.jpgNever bring an ambulance to a gun fight till it's over.emt.jpg
  • MRBEANMRBEAN Member Posts: 562 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well CRAP! I would've been all over that combo, if it were possible that is. Now that I think about it, I didn't know the 10mm is longer than .357. No wonder it's a cannon![:0][B)] BTW, does anyone know offhand, which makes can be "converted" .40-.357? Do pretty much all of them do it?

bean.gifTo the rich, everything is a neccessity. To the poor, everything is a luxury
    edited November -1
    Bar sto had all 3 calibers on their drop in barrel list for that gun so I am going to call Bar sto and Glock tomorrow and see what they say about it.I will post the final result.
    edited November -1
    Mark C said that a Beretta 96 could be converted to all three. Beretta sells a 96 that also has a 92 slide, so all you would need is a 357 Sig barrel and you're good to go. Plus, you could get a .22 conversion and have four calibers in one "gun".

Dance Hippo. Dance.
    hippohula.gif
  • tajjntajjn Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I belive that all 40s&w and 357sig models of Sig Saurs can be converted back and forth. I had a 229 and it was just a matter of dropping in whatever cal. barrel that you wanted. Same with the full size Glocks like the model 22 and 31.

Not now, I'm busy reloading!!!!
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bet you can get someone to make you a new barrel in .40. Then you'll need a lighter recoil spring. Then you'll have to worry about short .40 rounds in long 10mm mags. You might be able to get around this by loading your .40s on the long side (if you reload, which I'm guessing you don't or you would have just reduced your 10mm loads.) Otherwise, you might be able to fabricate a spacer and use .40 springs and followers in 10mm magazines (might be some serious tinkering and tuning involved in this).

Frankly, I think your best bet is to just go ahead and get the Glock in .40.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mpolans
    I bet you can get someone to make you a new barrel in .40. Then you'll need a lighter recoil spring. Then you'll have to worry about short .40 rounds in long 10mm mags. You might be able to get around this by loading your .40s on the long side (if you reload, which I'm guessing you don't or you would have just reduced your 10mm loads.) Otherwise, you might be able to fabricate a spacer and use .40 springs and followers in 10mm magazines (might be some serious tinkering and tuning involved in this).

Frankly, I think your best bet is to just go ahead and get the Glock in .40.

That right there is most comprehensive answer yet. And you should probably listen to his last comment. By the time you modify your gun enough to shoot .40, you'll have about another $200, and time and effort in it. Furthermore, it still might not work.

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I know a couple of people that have used aftermarket 40 S&W barrels in model 20 Glocks. As far as springs, Wolff sells a replacement rod and spring set for the 29. I have a Model 30 45acp that uses the same rod and springs. I bought a calibration spring set from them with 17, 19,and 21 pound springs. They also make 15 and 23 pound springs for these rods. I don't think the magazine would be a problem. It feeds fine in the model 20 mags which is just a longer version of the 29 mag. I shoot a couple of 1911 10 mm pistols that I have 40 s&W barrels that I use. I have some Colt 40 S&W mags, but they work just as well with 10 mm mags.
    edited November -1
    Talk to Glock and am sorry to say my theory was no good.They said a 10mm is pretty much in a class all its own and I would basically have to get another gun with all I would have to replace.I dont understand why Bar Sto and KKM offer drop in barrels for the 29 in .40s&w and .357SIG if it wont work.To bad though.
    edited November -1
    You can interchange barrels with the 40 and 357, not the 10.

Dance Hippo. Dance.
    hippohula.gif
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I doubt that you will ever find a gun manufacturer that would tell you it is ok to use a part that they don't make. I know these will work because I have seen them. They are popular in the model 20 for people who want the extra weight of the longer slide and the lower recoil of the 40 S&W for IDPA competiton. They also tell you that you can't shoot reloads in their guns. I don't know that I have ever used new ammo in my Glocks except for concealed carry use.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I seem to recall a friend of mine shooting 40sw out of his 10mm compact Block. Haven't seen him in awhile.

You may want to go check out www.glocktalk.com

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It doesn't appear that you got this answered (at least correctly).

You cannot drop in a factory Glock barrel from one of the other calibers. However, they have conversion barrels available for the Glock 20 and 29 (both 10mm's):

10mm, 9x25 Dillon, .40 S&W, .357 SIG

Using an aftermarket conversion barrel, you just use the standard Glock 10mm magazine for whichever 10mm you're using (20 or 29) then load up the correct ammo and you're ready to go. BTW, the barrels start at a little over $110 and go up to well over $200 so you'll just have to decide what it's worth to you.

I have heard of some people shooting the .40 S&W in the factory 10mm barrel with no modification. While I would certainly do this in a desperate situation, I wouldn't subject my gun to that for no reason, especially when conversion barrels are so cheap or you can reload 10mm ammo just about as cheap as .40.

You can actually use the 10mm frame to shoot .45 ACP as well, but with that one, you have to get the entire upper end (slide, barrel, breech, etc) which runs around $400 so it's silly to do that when the whole gun isn't much higher.

If you really want to make the 10mm powerful, check out doubletapammo.com
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.