In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

When people are nuts do they know it?

Oklahoma223Oklahoma223 Member Posts: 2,648 ✭✭
edited July 2009 in General Discussion
I was just thinking, when you are totally psychotic do you know it, or do you seem normal to yourself?

Comments

• Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    I'm not nuts.

I'm not.

Nope.
  • Options
    slingerslinger Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Isn't that a symptom of insanity? That you DO think you're normal. Kind of like "All those paranoids are after me".
  • Options
    Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    the voices tell me I am fine
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Where's indychild when you need him?...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you are nuts..you don't have a clue how crazy you are...you think you are normal and everyone else is nuts!
  • Options
    soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    But if your normal condition is to be crazy,then you are normal..right?
  • Options
    wlfmn323wlfmn323 Member Posts: 4,712
    edited November -1
    that is a very intrigueing question, i have oft wondered that myself. i would think that one would have to possess at least a tiny bit of sanity, to understand that there is something wrong with their head. to me that would be a living hell. to KNOW there is something not right about yourself. once i start my psych rotation i beleive i will pose that question to those who are SUPPOSED to be knowledgable in that area.
  • Options
    SawzSawz Member Posts: 6,049
    edited November -1
    I have a shizophrenic step son who knows something isnt right and knows what he is diagnosed with and that its not the same as everyone else. but he believes what he thinks is reality and hes ok with how he is.. in other words he doesnt really realize what reality is to others, so how does he know what hes missing?

and the term nuts is really offensive to those that have loved ones with mental illness.. its the same as if someone had cancer or diabetes. illness in the mind is a physical illness too

you wouldnt tell someone with melanoma to get their * out of bed and snap out of it
  • Options
    trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by COLT

ani-texas-flag-2.gif

At least you and I are ok .
    We had the same thought about who to ask !
  • Options
    RtWngExtrmstRtWngExtrmst Member Posts: 7,456
    edited November -1
    You must be nuts if you think you're sane. But you have to be sane to know when you're nuts. If you don't get that, you must be nuts.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RtWngExtrmst
    You must be nuts if you think you're sane. But you have to be sane to know when you're nuts. If you don't get that, you must be nuts.

Huh?
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    edited November -1
    All three of us understood that.
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    In the medical sense, no. If they aren't, they have some contrition or understanding, or else they would drive around town with the bodies of their victims strapped to the hood of their cars like, "Hey everybody, look what I bagged today.."

The legalese is a little less plain...
  • Options
    indy_kidindy_kid Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

ani-texas-flag-2.gif

Right here, and yes, you're nucky futs!!!
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    depends on exactly what the mental condition is. some whack jobs are concious of the fact that they have more screws loose than a studebaker. others think their though processes are perfectly normal and anybody who doesnt think its ok to eat people are the crazy one.

then of course theres the medication roller coaster common to lots of mentally unstable patients. they feel bad/act out, go to the doc, take their meds, feel good, decide they dont need their pills anymore, stop taking them, feel bad/act out etc etc etc.
  • Options
    indy_kidindy_kid Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Totally psychotic" is a very loose definition.

Some schizophrenics are aware that something isn't right, and are good about taking their meds. Others, not so much.

In the movie, "A Beautiful Mind" (Russell Crowe, Jennifer Connelly), the main character, mathematician John Nash eventually became aware that he was hallucinating. In the movie, he had visual & auditory hallucinations; in real life, it was only auditory.

His son was schizophrenic as well, but also earned a Ph.D. and became a professor.

Syd Barret, the original lead singer for Pink Floyd, was schizophrenic. That's probably what made the early Pink Floyd albums so great!

Then you have people like John Hinckley who thought he had a "relationship" with Jodie Foster when in fact none existed.

Takes all kinds...
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Courtesy of Joseph Heller

"There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.
    "That's some catch, that Catch-22," Yossarian observed.
    "It's the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed."
  • Options
    Stink FootStink Foot Member Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:When people are nuts do they know it?

Dang Hossfly I dont know. Damn straight
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was a study done a few years ago that concluded stupid people didn't know they were stupid. I would imagine that the results could be extrapolated to some of the mentally deficient also.

However I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor did I clear this with hoosier boy. [:D]
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    dfletcher..FANTASTIC book! I LMAO when I read it...one, if not THE funniest books Ive ever read...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Look at a Jeffry Dahmer, or a John Wayne Gacy, for instance. Who any of us would look at him and thing "Clearly, this man is nuts," is he really?

Both made elaborate attempts to dispose of bodies, or hide their crimes, so, one could conclude, both knew that what they did was wrong.

Herein lies the differentiation between the sociopathic and the psychotic, the truly insane.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rcrxs old lady
    Look at a Jeffry Dahmer, or a John Wayne Gacy, for instance. Who any of us would look at him and thing "Clearly, this man is nuts," is he really?

Both made elaborate attempts to dispose of bodies, or hide their crimes, so, one could conclude, both knew that what they did was wrong.

Herein lies the differentiation between the sociopathic and the psychotic, the truly insane.

I am totally sane,......just stay out of my backyard!
    I mean it.

I really do![:D]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301

I am totally sane,......just stay out of my backyard!
    I mean it.

I really do![:D]

I'm convinced![:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Barzillia
    In answer to your question, Catch 22.

But, there is a real and practical difference between "crazy ha, ha", and "crazy, oh, shat".

Not that there is anything funny about it, not a bit, but I have found that those who have to deal with the practicalities of the situation all know the feeling, and difference between the two, and it is the best I can describe it.

At those times, you begin to wonder about the demonic.

Back in the late 1960's, there was an anti-psychiatry movement that denied the pathology of schizophrenia and other psychosis, believing that the drug companies were all behind making fortunes selling unnecessary drugs to keep the population under control. After all, what was sane about American culture and politics during those times?

There was something that made sense about the proposition.

They felt that any reality was just as viable as another, and that society should not try to impose their values and reality upon those more sensitive souls among us who saw things differently.

I read some of the threads around here sometimes, and wonder where all of that kind of thinking went.

And then I know.[xx(]

But one really good book that came from those times was The Pursuit of Loneliness, by Philip Slater.

And if you can find it, The Radical Therapist, edited by Jerome Angel, I think.

It has nothing to do with the demonic...

It's about opportunities and choices....

Cripes, you read the file, and and you think this kid should be a psychopath. Then, you meet the family, and you wonder how is this kid not a psychopath?

To say it is due to the demonic precludes any environmental infuences.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    In the medical sense, no. If they aren't, they have some contrition or understanding, or else they would drive around town with the bodies of their victims strapped to the hood of their cars like, "Hey everybody, look what I bagged today.."

The legalese is a little less plain...

yeah, it's a hard impulse to overcome, I gotta tell ya[:0]
  • Options
    Bill JordanBill Jordan Member Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I don't really know, even though I was a Psych major; Masters in Education, Certified in teaching Special/Exceptional Children K-12. and Guidance and Counseling K-12.

I just listen to the voices in my head when they tell me to either go to the range, or stay home and clean my guns.
    Bill

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than to have a frontal lobotomy."
  • Options
    burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    No I don't, I seem normal to myself.

Wife doesn't agree though, she must be nuts [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Barzillia
    Opportunities and choices ?

Amazing.

Either psychosis and serious mental illness is, or isn't, real organic pathology.

Coming at it from all directions does increase the chances of a hit, I guess.

You apparently believe it is, then suggest that it is environmental, and then suggest that there are some choices and some influences in the environment that create organic pathology.

Short of true poisoning from drugs or chemicals, what choices create organic pathology ?

And if not all serious mental illness is organic, why would a spiritual dimension have no effect or causation, as one of the choices and environment you mention ?

I believe there are individuals that are truly insane. I mean total psychotics.

Absolutely!

I also believe there are those who are keen enough to appear insane to suit them.

Argue this is true.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

ani-texas-flag-2.gif

[:D]
    What's next?
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    The story

A salesman is traveling along a road in the dead of winter. Just as he is passing an insane asylum his tire goes flat. He stops, rummages around in the trunk and pulls out the jack and spare tire. While he is jacking up the car, an 'resident' in the nut house watches him from behind the chain link fence. He finally gets the flat tire off the car and as he is about to put the spare on, he knocks over the hubcap with the lug nuts in it. As he puts the lug nuts back on, he only finds one - the other 4 are lost in the snow and he can't find them. He mumbles out loud, "how will I get to town now?" The inmate by the fence tells him to take one lug nut off each of the other 3 wheels & that will get him to town. The salesman thanks him and says "Wow, you certainly don't belong in there" The inmate response with "Hey, I'm just nuts, not stupid." [:D][:D][:D][:D][;)]

[:D]
    This was one of the first jokes my Dad ever told me. However, in the punch line he used "crazy" instead of "nuts" and it was to have taken place where I was born, in Rusk, Texas, which had an asylum! [:D] Oh, well, it was Johnny Horton's home town, too. [:)]
    What's next?
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Crazy? Best to let others decide. How can I be objective?

Guess I'll never know, though I've tried. Really tried. Y'see, no one will talk to me. Best, Joe
  • Options
    wittynbearwittynbear Member Posts: 4,518
    edited November -1
    I don't know if you know you're nuts, I would think you would know that you were not in your right mind. When I'm not at my best I know it and compensate with caffiene. So I would assume that others would if something wasn't right, not necessarily be able to diagnose themselves, but know that mentally they are not feeling right.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I used to think that I was OK.

I used to think that most of you folks were OK.

.......Then NUNN went and started posting the new rules of who is and is not OK.

There are more nuts on this forum than in a hardwood forest.

[:0][:D][:o)]
  • Options
    mousemouse Member Posts: 3,624
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the comment Sawz. Guess I was one of the few who
    read it.
  • Options
    Black LabBlack Lab Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mouse
    Thank you for the comment Sawz. Guess I was one of the few who
    read it.

I also read it. Over the years I have known quite a few people with mental health issues ranging from schizophrenia to bi-polar to a milder form of paranoid delusional or to other, less defined problems. I believe all understood to at least some degree that they had problems. Some got various types treatment but none of these people ever became 'normal' and each was, or still is, a tremendous burden on their families.
  • Options
    9 on the floor9 on the floor Member Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does this have anything to do with Senator Harry Reid??
  • Options
    7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I SMELL LAMP.

[^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The question was (to paraphrase) do the insane know they are insane?

Answer was, no, the truly insane(schizophrenics, delusionals, and otherwise psychotic))do not.

But the psychotics don't encompass the entire mentally ill community. Neurotics (bi-polars, the mood disordered, most personality disordered, etc., etc., etc.,...) are not insane, they have mental illness. Most know they are mentally ill (though some deny it), why some choose to accept treatment, and some do not, is based on the severity of their illness. The biggest problem with some of these folks is that there is such a stigma attached to mental illness, that as soon as the meds stablize them, they think they don't need the meds. The notable exception to the above rule that the mentally ill know they are mentally ill would be the Cluster B personality disordered (narcissists, histrionics, anti-socials, and borderlines). Their pathology is a marked absence of empathy, so, either they are in total denial that they are the one with the problem, or they just don't care, however, they can function in normal society, when they want to.
  • Options
    glynglyn Member Posts: 5,949
    edited November -1
    I am normal,every one else is nuts.