In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

CIA Polish Tantal AK74

coltpaxcoltpax Member Posts: 8,114
edited December 2010 in General Discussion
Yay or Nay? Looks like a good way to send a bunch of lead down range. Not as cheap as .22, but it looks to be the cheapest centerfire round out there. Also, $435 ain't bad. And for plinking, who really cares if it keyholes? Might be goin on my list...

Comments

• Options
    nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    YES, FUN FUN FUN, cheap ammo
  • Options
    Oso2142Oso2142 Member Posts: 2,940
    edited November -1
    Oh, these things are a bit over $400? But, they have CAI's hands on them. [xx(] I'll have to take a look, bet it's something my boy would enjoy shooting.

Anyway, if they're well made, albeit from CAI, $400+ sounds good.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Heck, I mean who can complain with 1080 rds. for $130 + S&H? And, if the S does HTF, then you got a little room cleared. One of my main questions though (okkim maybe you can help me?) can you fire it with the stock folded in?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm bumping this before I go to class.
  • Options
    worstenemy453worstenemy453 Member Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got a link to the gun ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by worstenemy453
    Got a link to the gun ?

This is the first one that popped up on the auction side. Like I said, you can find them a lot cheaper than that. I like the fact that it has bakelite handguards too, so they can be introduced to Mr. Spray paint (that krylon is some tough shiznat).

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=203720188
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Nice! Not certain, but believe it will fire with the stock folded. Not certain I'd want to though.
  • Options
    worstenemy453worstenemy453 Member Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks kinda ugly but for $435 like your saying, i would guess its better than a Hi point.
  • Options
    Follow MeFollow Me Member Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a couple for myself and can tell ya I run the hell out of them. Super cheap to shoot and alot of fun.

Century has a warranty as well if you get a bad one they will fix it.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I have a CAI one, never had a prob with it.

Fires fine with the stock folded, little recoil.

Never had any prob w/any CAI gun, recently got a CAI Sterling Carbine, shoots fine too.

The only total POS gun I ever had was a A/O-Kahr Tommy Gun M1 semi carbine.

GO for it, you'll like it, I think.
  • Options
    7.62x39Lover7.62x39Lover Member Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd buy it. Some of them key hole at +/- 300 yards with surplus ammo. Supposedly they don't with Wolf ammo. The surplus ammo has no lead in the tip. They do that so that it tumbles on impact and creates a great wound channel. If you aren't shooting a 300 yard or farther target, I'd go ahead and use the surplus ammo too.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It just bumped the ar15 off the top spot on my list. Looks to be good. I'm not gonna be shooting past 100 yards, let alone 300. And, that 5.45 ammo os what, half the price of 5.56? Thanks for the opinions fellas.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hold out for one sold by Interarms. They use an Armory USA receiver and the original chrome lined Tantal barrel.

No keyhole problems with Interarms.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs
    Hold out for one sold by Interarms. They use an Armory USA receiver and the original chrome lined Tantal barrel.

No keyhole problems with Interarms.

Looked on the auction side. Nada, but I'll make sure to check again before I go to buy.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do some more research before you buy.

This seller offers a choice of twist rate 1:9 & 1:7
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=203128234

You want to figure out which twist rate stabalizes the cheap russian surplus that is on the market.

With a 5.45 you don't want to have to buy new production Wolf ammo when surplus is so much cheaper.

The wrong twist rate will result in surplus ammo keyholing on your target.