In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Turns out you can reload 22LR

drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2016 in General Discussion

Comments

• Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Golly. That looks like fun. If I didn't have 27.5 craploads of .22, I might be tempted. [:D]
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This "can" be done. . .and people certainly do it. . .but you have to reprime the cartridges with paste primer, which can be messy and dangerous.

Also, you have to hope you don't "restrike" the cartridge on the rim where it was struck before when you fire it.

IMO this kind of thing is best done (and most often done) when .22LR rounds are just unavailable.

With 22LR readily available now at about $0.08-$0.20 round, I don't think it makes sense to reload them (in the USA), except maybe as a psychological survivalist exercise just to learn how to do it.

Edit: To me this is like "build your own lightbulbs, save pennies per year!". Box of 100 .22s now costs about $15. How much is your TIME worth in reloading these?
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The re-priming compound sparked my interest.

I've been looking into making your own percussion caps for shooting black powder. The Tap O Cap cap maker is long gone from production but it seems they can be tracked down. The biggest issue is using roll caps for the ignition.

Regarding 22lr - I think you'd want to hit the rim in a different place than where you hit it before.
  • Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    Here's some 'reloads' I did several months ago,,,,,,,,,,the units are packaged just down the road from me. I did this as a lark and the fun of it. They list several powders and amt. for the reloads.

My calculations show I have a 1in 16 chance of re-striking the previous firing pin hit,,,,,

When they finally came up with the current priming compound I was talking with the owner,,,,,,,,he took a small pinch and placed it on the concrete floor and struck it with light blow from a hammer, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,BAM ,,nuff said,,,,[;)]

002.jpg

Forge, did you try 'undenting' the firing pin hit? I was thinking it wouldn't take much to reach inside with a tool and pop it out. I may have to try it.
  • tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ..Never saw the operation, but I thought that the priming
    compound was spun into the rim with centrifugal force...[?]
  • bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    I think I'll pass.

One can reload thermite grenades in one's basement as well. If you know how.

I'm not sure either is a good idea, or that the juice is worth the squeeze.

[:p][:p][:p][;)]
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And I though 9mm reloading was tedious..[:)]
  • reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting to see it is possible and that there are tools to assist, but I hope I never need to try it myself.
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might be worth picking up just as a curiosity for the collection and/or if ever REALLY needed when 22 is truly no longer available.

FWIW, this is the process I've developed (in theory):

Scrape strike anywhere match heads (NOT the strike on box) into a powder, mix with water to make a paste.

Inject paste into rim of case, spin case with a drill to push paste to outside of rim with centrifugal force.

seat #4 buckshot (24 caliber) pellet into case, crimp for tightness

You'll notice the only step left out is the charging. I have no idea what powder or how much to use, but a small amount of Unique might fit the bill.

Try at your own risk and post results.
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,454 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    great to know its possible and may be a exercise in "well yes I can " just for a fun project
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So any chance one you mechanically inclined folks with access to lathe - bang out a couple Tap O Cap - percussion cap maker copies?

Forster discontinued them.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/842064/forster-tap-o-cap-11-percusion-cap-maker

There was another fella making a similar product but stopped altogether a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMs3HeAo9EI