In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ventless fireplace vs wood pellet stove

KenthetoolmanKenthetoolman Member Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2012 in General Discussion
I am buying a new house which has a ventless gas fireplace in the living room. These things do not give me warm fuzzy feelings. I have noticed the wood pellet stoves in the local store and am interested but would like the opinion of someone with first hand experience with one. I don't know why they went ventless to begin with since there is a brick chimney directly behind where they put it.

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would bet heavily that the pellet stove will provide much more heat and possibly more efficient heat. I'm running a pellet furnace(3rd winter). The pellet stove will require a STAINLESS STEEL double or triple wall vet pipe. I had a pellet stove many years ago that drew outside air through a double wall pipe for combustion. It didn't work well-too much moisture in the midwest. My older Son is running a Harmon(TM)brand pellet stove and it is very satisfactory. His will run pellets, corn, cherry pits, wheat or about any combustible orgainic material with slight adjustments. He mixed shelled corn with pellets when corn was cheaper but at this time both he and I are running straight wood pellets. Corn creates a corrosive residue that will eat up plain steel pipes/chimneys.
  • Options
    Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have had a pellet stove in our basement for over 10 years. Only issue is that if you are prone to losing power it won't work. They also do make a little noise or a lot depending on the fan speed but they really put out the head and almost no ash. Works great.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,275 ******
    edited November -1
    I have never owned a pellet stove, but I have operated and fed many. Over time the feeders stop working and all the ones I've seen were problematic in this regard in some form or another.

At one time, the cost of pellets was higher than stratus clouds.

Pellet Pros: pellets are not messy and produce even heat

Gas Pros: not messy and produce even heat. Stoves tend to be more expensive, yet more reliable than pellet stoves

Wood pros: cheapest source of fuel (assuming you gather cut and split yourself), but only by a slim margin, and most people can supply themselves.

Likely they went ventless because you can theoretically transfer all the heat energy to your room (orders of magnitude more efficient). I don't trust them either, to not produce dangerous gasses.

ETA: FWIW, this from a ventless gas sales site:
    quote:
    In the United States, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), which is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of serious injury or death related to home appliances, has stated that it is not aware of any documented incident in the CPSC In-Depth Investigation (IDI) database of fatal carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning associated with an ODS-equipped ventless gas heating product.

In the United Kingdom, approximately 15 million ODS-equipped ventless units have been installed with no reported CO deaths.

Japan reports that more than 40 million units have the same outstanding safety record.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have a ventless gas fireplace. Don't use it much----has to be pretty cold because it does put out a lot of heat.
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    We have a ventless fireplace and a free standing wood stove. The ventless gas is instant heat and 100% efficient. It does not dry out the air like a wood stove does. Its clean and provides decent ambiance. Down side is that the ventless flame is much less realistic than a vented gas log flame.

The wood stove has been lit now for over a month and burns wood very efficently. I have an endless supply of wood so I am a bit bias.

My brother in law has a pellet stove and I hate it. Its an ugly flame with little ambiance but a decent heat source. I would not own one.
  • Options
    countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beneteau

We have a ventless gas fireplace. Don't use it much----has to be pretty cold because it does put out a lot of heat.

+100 I put in the infrared ventless in the laundry room and Ventless fireplace in the living room when I built. The fireplace puts out way too much heat for this house so I havent used it in years. The heater in the laundry room pretty much can heat the whole house but the last few years have saved it in case the power went out. It is just a little cheaper to heat with electric around here.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    If you have a chimney I would go with a wood burning stove instead of a pellet stove as 1) there is plenty of wood around and 2) the heat is excellent but dry (I would use a humidifier). Pellet stoves mean you have to buy pellets (I never buy wood...too much laying around that folks want to be rid of...chainsaw is your friend) and I don't think they put out the heat that my woodstove put out (comparing my ceramic tile German stove to my SIL pellet stove). And like Maxx424 says you are out of luck if the power goes out. But a woodstove is like having to take care of another child....getting the wood, getting the kindling, splitting the wood (Monster Maul!), cleaning up around it....but you can't beat the heat and your are completely independent of any other energy. But a lot of work! And those soapstone stoves are really nice....but look at the German ceramic tile stoves if you really want a "looker" and a super heat source! And also a potential romance helper[;)] No romance around the gas stove or the pellet job....nothing like that cracklin' wood to spark...whatever[8D]
  • Options
    427cobra289427cobra289 Member Posts: 762 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have ventless propane heaters in two locations. One in a man-cave barn and one in a small satellite office. I don't know the efficiency of those two units but they put out a ton of heat quickly. The only thing I don't like about them is if they are shut down for a night or more they will dump a ton of moisture into the room when first fired up. The moisture dries up as the unit runs. Additionally, if the unit is allowed to cycle 24/7, then the moisture problem doesn't come back.

If moisture is a problem (electronics etc) and you can't let the ventless run continuously then I'd suggest going with the pellet stove.

This is the unit in the barn. Has fairly realistic fake logs, all in all a presentable unit. Heats two 20'x24' rooms with 11.5' ceilings FAST!
    GRStove.jpg
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    "they really put out the head"

Bet U spend a lotta time in the basement!!![:D][:D][;)]
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:makes for a nice place to snuggle with the Mrs

Dennis, you are a hopeless romantic.[;)]

Have a Harman XXV. Puts out nice heat, and in time will heat a large room. It does require electricity, and you cannot refill while it is running. t will hold enough pellets for several cold eveningshowever, Main downside is no electricity, no fire,
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Vent-less fireplace. I have had this one since 2000.
    I got rid of the wood stove and have not missed it in the least. I can get by on around $250 gas a year and my electric bill runs between $150-$200 year around. Big job to get the wood in, bugs in the house, smoke in the house, damage to the floor, couldn't control the wood heat on days were the nights are cold and it warms up during the day.

001zxt.jpg
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Had a ventless fireplace.
    Not much for ambiance.

On the lowest possible setting, it would run you out after an hour or two in even the most brutal Atlanta winters. [;)]

It worked. No doubt. For heat, I can't think of much that would be more efficient. And a good backup in case of power outage.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's our ventless:
    5516389653_d9f91115e2_b.jpg

I'd rather have a wood burning stove that you can cook on.

Maybe, I'll put one in the guest house...
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    There exist Gravity Feed Pellet Heaters, and 12VDC Feed Pellet stoves that are amenable to solar/battery power. I have owned neither.

We have a Gas/Wood Fireplace in out home, and have used both Gas and Wood at times - great when the power goes out!

I wonder at depending on pellet Manufacture/Distribution when things get bad...
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.quadrafire.com/Products/7100-Wood-Fireplace.aspx

I absolutely love this unit. We put one in the new addition last year, and even if it is in the 20's outside, I can run the house up to 80+*. This is the EPA approved new technology style insert. When she gets good and hot, you won't even see smoke coming from the chimney,..it burns THAT hot

By damping down the vent system, this unit will go for more than a day on a wheelbarrel load of wood.

this will tie right into the chimney you say is in place[;)] just install the double stainless pipe and light it up.[^]

I can't say about the others since I don't find gas or pellets to be appealing at all. I like REAL fire,..that's what I grew up with, so that's what I eventually installed in the addition. I don't mind the extra cleaning from dust and wood,..it is offset every time I stand in front of the fireplace[8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It aint nothing to look at but I'd like to replace my gas fireplace with something like this on a different wall:
    1643178_f260.jpg

and put a wood burning stove with fire brick / wall where that gas fireplace is at.

That ugly propane wall heater heats just as well as the gas fireplace.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    OK, I used to sell, service & maintain pellet, wood, gas & electric. Here's the deal -

Ventless gas: Not code approved as a primary heating device. These are always 100% efficient, low maintenance & reliable. Downside is CO output & smell.

Wood: MAY be code approved as a primary. If you got free wood & a strong back, hard to beat. Dirty. Requires lots of interaction to light & keep filled with wood, haul ashes, etc. Very poor efficiency.

Pellet: Not code approved as a primary. Auto ignition on better models means true thermostat control, so somewhat efficient. Some mess but not bad. ALL pellet devices eventually break down & requires service & parts. Good compromise, especially if you don't want to hump firewood.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs
    Here's our ventless:

Your insert resembles what my mother has, but possibly smaller.
    I have no idea why they put something like this in a house in Florida.

Been used maybe 3 times, as even on a 20 degree night, it will heat up the family room, where it's located to an almost unbearable temp quite quickly.

Not too worried about CO, as I have detectors installed in 4 locations in her home since she has NG furnaces as well.
    None have ever gone off, even though the house is very 'tight' concerning air infiltration.

My house doesn't have a fireplace of any kind, and that's fine.
    If I want to see fire, I light up some wood in my firepit outside.[;)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,651 ******
    edited November -1
    Outdoor wood stove, only way to go.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's our ventless:

I will appreciate that Drobs.[^][}:)][:p]
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Ventless stoves are legal, claiming to burn "99.9%" of fuel, but like you I am uneasy with the concept. The same gov't that says they are okay tells us not to put a plastic bag over our heads. I see little difference between the two.

I don't like pellet stoves either. Too many moving parts, and they don't work when the power goes out.

Check out the gas stoves. Great fire, good heat, low maintenance, no reliance on electricity. Go with the added fan, which does use 110v power -- but the stove will continue to make heat with the power off.

Unless, like me, you believe in a good, old-fashioned, messy wood stove. [:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    Here's our ventless:

I will appreciate that Drobs.[^][}:)][:p]

Guest house will be across the "street". Maybe I can Allen Griggs to be foreman / tutor for the log cabin I want to build.

Your welcome to stay anytime hell you're welcome now. I have flat spot you pull the RV into.