In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I hate Dicks Sporting Goods

ScharfSchutzeScharfSchutze Member Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2006 in General Discussion
For christmas my sister gave me a couple Dick's Sporting goods gift card...

unfortunitly I couldnt find much that i wanted... and everything I did want, i couldnt afford... I took a look at their gun Selection...

for instance... if i went down to the local gun shop, and found a rifle for $250... I saw the same rifle in Dicks for $598.... WHAAAA?????!!!!!

So i circled around the store and could find anything I wanted or could afford... So before i left i asked if i could just trade the cards for the $$$$. Of corse they said no.... which is funny, what do they have to loose? They already got their money from my sister....

Sigh.... this is why i hate gift card... and DICKS sporting goods..... $600 for a $250 rifle... WTH?

Just thought i'd blow off a little steam... thanks for tolerating me [:D][|)][:p]

Comments

• Options
    jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ScharfSchutze

So before i left i asked if i could just trade the cards for the $$$$. Of corse they said no.... which is funny, what do they have to loose? They already got their money from my sister....

Their profit![:D] They don't make anything by giving you your money back, but they do if you spend your gift card money. [;)]

Got one from Bass Pro, didn't find anything I couldn't get cheaper elsewhere. Oh well, we should be grateful someone cared enough about us to give us one in the first place.[;)][8D]

Ben
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Oh well, we should be grateful someone cared enough about us to give us one in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful and all, its just I HATE GIFT CARDS! lol... I never find anything i want.. and they just seem so impersonal...

Would have been better if she just gave me the cash [:p]

Oh well... maybe in a month or something I will think of something there that i want.
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What Make and Model Rifle are you talking about?
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RugerNiner
    What Make and Model Rifle are you talking about?

Don't remember what make they where... there wasn't a rifle there under $500... If i went to say.. Anthony Arms by the airport from here... I could have found it brand new for under $300 i guarantee you...

The cheapest thing they had there was a $118 22LR mossberg 802... Perhaps the only well priced thing there, I saw a Ruger 10/22.. standard stock... $300..... Uh What?! cant you get those things for like $150- $200?

Dicks is way overpriced in my opinion.
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Why do you think they are called 'Dicks!??' [:o)][:o)][:o)]
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So buy something (not a firearm, of course) and return it tomorrow[:D][:D]Like I did at another well known but expensive! outdoor supply store.
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by B17-P51
    So buy something (not a firearm, of course) and return it tomorrow[:D][:D]Like I did at another well known but expensive! outdoor supply store.

They still won't give you back cash, in most cases just credit towards the purchase of more goodies.[:o)]
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They aren't going to give you cash for a card because you may have a $100 card but now you have to buy $100 worth of stuff that they spent $45 to put on their shelves. If they give you money for your card then they just break even at best.

There are websites specifically set up for people like you. These sites will buy your gift card for a certain number of cents on the dollar (won't be an even exchange) or you can trade your gift card for someone else's. From what I have heard, these types of sites actually have an extremely low risk of fraud.
  • Options
    ripley16ripley16 Member Posts: 4,834
    edited November -1
    Save it for their ammo sales. Cheapest 9mm around.
  • Options
    dogtown tomdogtown tom Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ripley16

Not in Texas!

After all of Dick's "discounts" Wal Mart WWB $12.88/100 is still a better buy. Not to mention CCI Blazer at Academy $5.68/50.

Here, Dick's is notorious for "50% off". The fine print is "buy one get 50% off SECOND box. And the discount is off a NEW "regular" price- they actually raise the price before the "sale".

I'll never buy ammo from Dick. I want my Galyan's back![:(]
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 Some times they have remington ammo 1/2 off.
    buy 10-20 boxes of 44mag or 45 acp and you will save a ton
    I bought a bunch off 44 JSP @ 9.98/ 50 or so
    calling bs on them selling the same rilfe for more than twice the other shop
  • Options
    edited November -1

Good idea... Although i don't have a 9mm :( all i got is my little 22lr.

Good gun, but i already have 2000 rounds of ammo for it in my room.

I was hopeing they had something like a Black Powder pistol kit or something, but no joy.

Guess i'll have to find something I kinda want and pick it up.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There ARE websites that arrange swapping of gift cards. I did hit their day-after-Thansgiving sale- all ammo half off. You can always wait for their sale on 22 ammo, and get targets, cleaning gear, etc. Agree Dick's is overpriced- Yuppies don't know better.
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    Where is Dicks Sporting Goods located? Is this a southwestern chain or in the East. I don't see them on the Westcoast.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Their company motto should give you a clue: "If you find it elsewhere for less - you don't know Dick"
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ours has some pretty decent deals.

Stoeger Condor O/U in 12 or 20 - $299

Mossberg 500 12ga combo - $289
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    Fatboy livesFatboy lives Member Posts: 708 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Usuall get a mossy 500 12 around here for 220. Not from no dicks though.quote:Originally posted by cubslovers

• Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Fatboy lives
    Usuall get a mossy 500 12 around here for 220. Not from no dicks though.quote:Originally posted by cubslovers

The combo? Slug bbl and field bbl?
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wait until next October. They have some sales just before hunting season.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dick's never has what they advertise. Buy some ammo
  • Options
    dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sig232
    Where is Dicks Sporting Goods located? Is this a southwestern chain or in the East. I don't see them on the Westcoast.
    We have two in Ft. Wayne SIG. There are more in Indy.[:)]
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I guess we're all going to have to compare Dick's.

I'll go first...Mine is pretty big.

Who has the biggest Dick's?

Who has the smallest Dick's?
    [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1

Thats messed up dude... lol.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Thats messed up dude... lol.

True, but I bet you laughed. Besides it's funnier than "comparing" 7Elevens.[:)]
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Yeah, Dick's is kinda high. But I have seen (and purchased) some items on sale at a pretty darn good price at Dick's.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wnt to a Dick's store with $600 cash in my pocket to buy a new rifle. The two clowns at the gun counter ignored me. I told the manager, on the way out, that I was headed to Gander Mountain to buy the rifle instead.

I won't buy guns or ammo from them anymore. I do, however, buy the kids footwear there. The prices are good and THEY don't ignore you.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,432 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You beat me to it Zap. I was going to say "They don't call it Dick's for nothing."!

They bought out a 40 year old mom & pop company, Galyan's, a few years ago. Closed many of their stores and have 3 or 4 of theirs now in the Indy area.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Marlin 336AS with a Simmons 3x9x40 scope on layaway at Dick's for $299.
    Also an E-trex legend with Topo Software for $169.
    I don't need the E-trex, just the software, but the software alone is $100.
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by guntech59
    I wnt to a Dick's store with $600 cash in my pocket to buy a new rifle. The two clowns at the gun counter ignored me. I told the manager, on the way out, that I was headed to Gander Mountain to buy the rifle instead.

I won't buy guns or ammo from them anymore. I do, however, buy the kids footwear there. The prices are good and THEY don't ignore you.

That to, Took them 15 minutes to notice me, just to tell me they don't have something, and that it cant be found anywhere other than the internet (black powder pistol kit).

The jerks at the gun counter never seem to be on task, and the customers that do shop there take FOREVER... took this one couple over an hour just to pick out a pair of Binoculars...
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by guntech59

That to, Took them 15 minutes to notice me, just to tell me they don't have something, and that it cant be found anywhere other than the internet (black powder pistol kit).

The jerks at the gun counter never seem to be on task, and the customers that do shop there take FOREVER... took this one couple over an hour just to pick out a pair of Binoculars...

Sounds like the computer department at Best Buy. Now that is apainful experience!

BINOCULARS! Buy yourself a great pair for binoculars. Nikon. You;ll have them forever! It's something you probably won't have the money to waste later in life, but you will sure appreciate them for years to come.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I got a nice pair of Binocs :D

From the gun shop, 10x50 power SIMONS binoculars...

Only $25 but they work beutifully.

EDIT- By the way, the gift cards are only good for $40. lol
  • Options
    Fatboy livesFatboy lives Member Posts: 708 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Combos are usually 250 for the 500quote:Originally posted by cubslovers
    quote:Originally posted by Fatboy lives

The combo? Slug bbl and field bbl?
  • Options
    deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have purchased several firearms from Dicks over the years and YES thier staff at the firearms counter usually know more about
    the basesball bat section of the store then the firearm section and thier selection is either hit or miss but
    thier gun prices are ALWAYS at least 10% cheaper then the small shop down the street and thier shotshells are cheaper and more plentyfull aswell, I have never seen them sell a $250.00 gun for $650.00
    and if you saw that it was a mistake on the price tag.
  • Options
    mjgcarpentermjgcarpenter Member Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went to my local Army Navy store last nite to look at gun safes and the one I was interested in did not work in the display area. I asked if I could look at one in the back to see the inside and He said no He would have to move a couple safes out of the way andf it was too much work. I asked who would buy this without seeing the inside but he had no anwser.. Real piece of work
  • Options
    GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate gift cards.

A lot of gift cards eat themselves up after a period of time. They start to charge 10% a month after a year without using them. Plus you can lose them etc.

At least, Dicks' don't do this. Plus like someone said above, watch their ammo prices. I have seen Rem-UMC 45 acp for $7.99 about a year ago. I should have bought a bunch. Prices have started to rise because of the cost of brass and copper.

When I want to give a gift card, I throw in the cash in a card and write "The Andrew Jackson Memorial Gift Card-Good Anywhere" on it and throw in the appropriate amount of 20's.
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1

Hpw about us that don't have no Dick's? [}:)]
  • Options
    D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by aglore

Hpw about us that don't have no Dick's? [}:)]

I got three here!
  • Options
    woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    If folks could cash in their gift cards, they would take the cash and buy booze and cigaretttes.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    woodshermit - like that hasn't happened before on a large scale from a southern city?
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our gift cards came in the form of....a....VISA card.
    Accepted at millions of retailers.
    While it is a nice thought, gift cards should NOT be store specific.

Find something in the store that you want, close to the value of the card.
    Buy it, even if it is cheaper somewhere else.
    Treat it like FREE money, for THAT store, because IT IS.
    Tell your sister......THANKS.