In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Does anybody else....

maggiethecatmaggiethecat Member Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2003 in General Discussion
really NOT like holidays? I have a profound dis-like of all holidays and psuedo holidays.

anyone else?

SGT USMC
SSGT USAF
The greatest happiness is to see your enemy scattered before you, to see his village in ashes, and to gather to your bed his wives and daughters.-Genghis Khan 1226

Comments

• kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    I really dislike them holidays that all the gov't workers get that us taxpayers don't[:D]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i generaly enjoy spending time with friends and family, but currently i am unnattached and terminaly single. holidays suck when no one loves you...best regards, mike.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
  • soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    The kid is grown.Holidays don`t mean squat.
    edited November -1
    quote:terminally single

You say that like it's a bad thing[:D]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

• tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being somewhat of a hermit by nature (some would say antisocial), the holidays just bring on obligations I would rather not deal with. However, the made up "Hallmark Holidays" Mom's day, Valentine's etc., aren't a problem 'cause a card and a quick visit are all it takes to show you remembered.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
  • bk0331bk0331 Member Posts: 523 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only holiday I like is Thanksgiving. You don't have to do anything, decorate anything, or buy anything. All you have to do is spend time with your family and friends. I especially dislike the "Hallmark Holidays". Five bucks for a card celebrating nothing. I'm just a scrooge I guess.

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence onto those who would do us harm." -George Orwell
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    its on KWANZA and RAMADAN that i realy feel lonely...
    being single and "playing the field" was great fun when i was in my 20`s. now that i want to find a nice, normal, marrige minded girl i come up empty. best regards, mike.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
    edited November -1
    Just find a nice girl and treat her right and the marriage idea gets in their head automatically. Last three gals I've been out with have all tried to drag me to the altar after a couple months, maybe I should turn down the charm a little[:o)] Once you figure out how to get inside their head, everything else is a breeze[:D]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

• interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrmike08075
    its on KWANZA and RAMADAN that i realy feel lonely...
    being single and "playing the field" was great fun when i was in my 20`s. now that i want to find a nice, normal, marrige minded girl i come up empty. best regards, mike.

Hey Mike, try looking in the Philippines.[:D]

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gotta agree Maggie, can't stand holidays that require me to buy things for people (Christmas, mother's/father's day, etc). Holloween ain't too bad but then again you still got to give something away. Ok maybe I'm selfish. But then again I find myself buying things I would want for other people.

Also too many rookies on the road if you know what I mean. I like to have a beer out on the town once in awhile. Don't over do it, but on a night like tonight there is no way I'm gonna have a beer then drive.

Regards,
    190191.gif
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    She is the holiday person.
    I am NOT.

kingjoey;
    You have been getting in their head?
    No...No...No...I won't go there. [}:)]

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kingjoey
    I really dislike them holidays that all the gov't workers get that us taxpayers don't[:D]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

No worries here then. The Marines of MWSS-374 are working 7 days a week. Holidays are just another work day around here.

"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend."
    ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • powdersmokepowdersmoke Member Posts: 3,241
    edited November -1
    The only good thing about holydays is it's a "Sumpin for nuthin'" day at work. I get extra time off to do what I want.

fc3cdbfd.gif

When you wrestle a 'gator, there ain't no good end!!

"Molon Labe!" Spartan General-King Leonidas
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Heard on the telly last night that Halloween is the #2 holiday for $ spent, after Christmas. 2.1 billion each year!!! Over 50% of homes decorated.

Current trend is for adult parties. Goes back to those of us who really enjoyed it as a kid. 50's, 60's and 70's, may have said 80's as well.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    My wife decorates the house for every holiday you could think of. Christmas is a biggie. Takes me a week with a helper to string the lights outside around the wall that encompasses our house. Looks really cool, but the electric meter acts like it wants to fly right off the side of the garage when everything is lit up.The kids are still young enough to get into the holidays so I do what ever it takes to give them a thrill.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like Halloween and Christmas ... I get to do the decorating and I dont need an excuse to spoil Abby! [:D]

Unfortunatly, as Abby becomes more self-aware, those days are coming to an end ... Its fun buying her stuff she likes but doesn't expect or ask for ... but she's getting to the age she thinks we should get her everything she wants ...

Example:
    For the last couple days she's been to keeping her Toys-r-Us catalog close by, pointing to stuffed animals from the Lion King, Simba and Nala and saying "Abbys" or "Abby wants this" ... at first it was cute but we finally hid the catalog [:(] ... spoiled is one thing ... spoiled rotten is another and I won't do that to her.

===========================
    Chance favors the prepared mind [8D]

kimberkid@cox.net
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
    edited November -1
    Kimber,
    yes you will. [:D]
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    outdoortexas -
    For a long time I didn't think there was a difference between "spoiled" and "spoiled rotten" ... Guess what? There is a difference and its HUGE! Its all about attitude! ... Looking back I remember the "spoiled rotten" from my youth (especially girls) ... they were commonly referred to as stuck-up b!tches, who spoke to everyone with disdain except those in their little clique ... the first time I hear, or hear of her treating someone like that she'll be in for a rude awakening ... but I really don't think that will be a problem ...

===========================
    Chance favors the prepared mind [8D]

kimberkid@cox.net
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
    edited November -1
    The love shines through kimber,
    no doubt she'll be just fine. [^]