In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sweet Mother-in-Law ! How about yours?

outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
edited December 2003 in General Discussion
Can't help but love the lady (okay for me to say that Hairy?),
28-years since I stole her only child, and she's never, not once, stuck her nose in our business.

Anyway, she's 72, most likly will live to a hundred. Her mother, just passed last year at 94. Comes to see us two, sometimes three times a year. Thanksgiving is always a given, heh, she brings a really good smoked turkey!

Also brings this or that as gifts, and you never know what it'll be except it's items from her younger days. Last time it was Deb's dad's K-Bar he carried across north Africa in WWII, and a sealed in a can "Emergency Fishing Kit No.4" from a lifeboat. Also gave me another that's been opened. Pics if anyone's interested.

This time it's a Bushnell Binocular 7x35, extra wide field, "Fully Coated Optics" [:D]

Box, all the original papers, leather case,lens cloth,even the desiccant silica gel package, the price tag still on it. $22.47! Bought it in '66, said she opened the box twice.

Now the goodies are nice, but she a sweetheart anyway. I mean, stays out of our life unless asked a question.

How do you rate yours?

Comments

• Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife and I moved my mother in law in with us 3 years ago. Nice lady. 89 years old but still going strong.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My mother-in-law has a great heart and stays out of our business (likely because my wife won't let her meddle in some stuff). The mother-in-law can be annoying because she is hard of hearing, top that with her typical reply of uh-huh (indicating she heard ya) and you think she understood what you said. Then, 5 minutes later she's asking the same thing again. [:(!]

When my wife and I were dating (we've been married 13 years) there was a point where I wondered who I was dating because her mom was being overly nice to me. Allowing me to stay at thier house (we lived quite a ways apart, over an hour I think), and even sleeping in the bed with her daughter with the door closed! WOW, what mother would do that? She trusted her daughter, she was 18 (I was 19), and she figured if we were going to do anything we could anywhere - we never did before we got married (and seemingly not enough since [:I])

Sorry, I lost focus there, as to what the post was about, but I thought it was relevant.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    wizard78wizard78 Member Posts: 3,144
    edited November -1
    Outdoortexas, you've just jumped to the top of my list.[^] (That and a quarter will get you a phone call, but it's still my list) I believe very strongly in family and although I sometimes joke around, my mother-in-law is great too. We have tried to get her to move in with us when my father-in-law died but she wouldn't hear it. She doesn't want to "impose" on us. The fact that she doesn't drive has us concerned but we try to do as much as we can to help her out. she is always sending us food (great pasta!) and has never put her nose in our affairs unless we ask her opinion. I've known her since I was 16, and used to eat more meals at her house, than my own parents, while I was dating her daughter. Thanks for bringing up the good memories. [8D]
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remember the comerical, "Wheres the beef?" Thats her to a T! lover her dearly 87 years old and still full of Piss and Vinager [:D]

hsas157x100.gif
    gun1.gif
    Proud Member of
    The Secret Society of
    Black Helicopter Pilots
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,004 ******
    edited November -1
    Did any of you see the mug shot of Michael Jackson at his last arrest?

Slap a blond wig on that, and you have my mother-in-law. No kidding.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sometimes you scare me Nunn! [:D]

BTW, you've been busy I guess, we haven't heard much from ya the last couple of days.

Nice to see some others feel the same way about their M-I-L's,
    expected to hear a few complaints. Bet we do...[;)] Guess we can't all be so fortunate.
  • Options
    PointerPointer Member Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mines a chain smoking,coffee chugging,bingo playin, gossip queen.Glad she lives 4 1/2 hours away,only have to see her maybe once a year if im lucky[}:)]
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,004 ******
    edited November -1
    I haven't been REAL busy. Thanksgiving stuff and shopping. The usual.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • Options
    jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    Have to go along with you. Mine comes to our home maybe once a year if that. My wife visits her and she never says a thing about our business. When I married the wife in 79, my mother in law told my wife she was marring the devil in disguise. My wife has 3 sisters and all 3 have been married numerous times and all have been married to abusive men at one time or another. There never has been any abuse in our relationship by either. My mother in law gave me a compliment at a family reunion one time when she stated about me, "give the Devil his due, he takes care of his own very well..." or at least I took it as a compliment. I asked her one time why she never came over and her reply was that she knew that our family was wll taken care of and she did not worry about her daughter, my wife. She went on to tell me that she goes to the other 3s homes weekly to check on them because she worries about them. No complaints about my mother in law but my mother is another story! My wife can say her mother in law is a _itch and I will agree. She did not raise me per say, my fathers parents did most of that and when my mother calls it is because she wants something or for me to do something! My brother and I bought a farm that had been in her family since 1848 and we gave her a 2 acre lot where the home place house sits, for free. Now she wants us to buy her a $80,000+ modular home to put on it. Anyone want my mother, free but high maintence!

God protect me from my friends, I can take care of my enemies...
  • Options
    SwwboSwwbo Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the greatest mother in law there ever was... She was more like a Mom... If you look up the definition of a "Lady" you would see her picture there.. Let me tell you a very funny story about this little spirited woman.. She and Punchie's Dad were traveling and stopped to get a bite to eat.. The waitress walks up and asked what they would like to eat.. Dad orders a bbq plate and Mom is looking about the diner and tells the waitress that she'll have what he's having.. Low and behold the waitress walks up with Dad's plate and then pops down Mom's plate.. Mom was looking at some guy eating two hotdogs and drinking a beer when she told her she would have what he's having.. Wish I could of seen her face when the waitress gave her the hotdogs and beer.. Bless her heart.. She didn't saying anything.. Just asked for a glass of water and ate one of the hotdogs.
  • Options
    victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    My mother-inlaw passd away last month.I feel like I've been stabbed in the back and the sucker is twisting the knife.Sure am going to miss that Lady.
  • Options
    4wheeler4wheeler Member Posts: 3,441
    edited November -1
    My mother-in-law is 76 years old this Saturday and can whip anyone on this board[:D] She can out talk,out walk and out work anyone,she is one tough cookie[:D] The best part is that I am her favorite son-in-law and that is saying a lot,she has 6 all together.She had 6 girls and one boy,out of those, there were 2 sets of twins.

"bbroygbvgw"
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I once overheard my mother-in-law berating my wife for the way she talked to me. She told her that she had not raised her daughters to be so disrespectful towards their husbands.
    I remember the last time we saw her before she died and she said to my wife rather shyly "I hope you don't mind but I like your husband."
    Only met her a few times since she lived in Honduras (She visited here once for a few weeks & I went there once.) but she treated me great.
  • Options
    bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    My mother in law bought me a Marlin 30/30 for my wedding present. Need I say anymore?

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like to tease and talk about how bad mine is.[}:)]But truthfully she is a fine woman and Im lucky to have her as a Mother In Law,as long as she stays in Florida and Im in VA.[8D]

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • Options
    intercessorintercessor Member Posts: 437
    edited November -1
    I have the greatest mother-in -law a guy could have. I get along with her better than I got along with my own mother. Been married almost 35 years now, and just recently moved my mom-in-law in with us. It's just temporary until I finish remodeling a small [about 900 sq. ft.]guest house we have. Should be done in the next week or so, then she can have her own space and still be close [50 ft] so we can give here any help she needs. Very special lady! I'm a very lucky guy!
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am jealous of your good mothers in laws. My mother in law has passed and I hope she found peace. She was the most unhappy person I ever knew. She hated me from the day she saw me, but who could blame her. I had hair on my face, drove a pickup, wore cowboy boots and lived on a gravel road. She disliked most everybody and hated quite a few. However she did love cats and dogs, just not people. She couldn't even accept her own brothers and sisters. Now my father in law was a great guy, but he died pretty young. I know he must have gone to heaven, because he had served his time on earth.

Old? First you forget names; then you forget faces; then you forget to pull your zipper up; then you forget to pull your zipper down.
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm sure we'll take mine in with us in a few years, if and when she needs help doing things. As a younger man, would never have given that consideration. Now, well we are supposed to improve with age aren't we?

Good to see so many get along with 'em, doesn't seem to match the horror stories and jokes. But, I'm sure there are lot's of men and wives, who are miserable. [;)]
  • Options
    Brth729Brth729 Member Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You'll never hear a complaint from me about my mother-in-law. I love the woman like she was my own mom. I even call her mom. I made the mistake of calling her by her name one time, and she's given me hell for it ever since. Nothing serious, just all in fun.[:)]

My grandfather once told me,"It's not what a man possesses that determines the importance and quality of his life, but rather what possesses the man.
  • Options
    Chevyman TxChevyman Tx Member Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my mother in law aint worth killin! She is a drug head for the last 30 years. Can tell you more about medicine bottles than a pharmacist. I hate her and hope i never see her again. I personally havnt been around her in about 3 or 4 years now, and my wife thinks the same way i do!! I am not jokin, the woman is lower than dirt!!!

"Keep turnin to the RIGHT"
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I, too, had one of the greatest mothers-in-law there ever was. We miss her a lot, but one of the neat things is that my wife is a lot like her mom. And she has a twin sister, too! As Bob Hople sang: "Thanks for the memories!"[^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dang chevy, sorry I made you think of her! [:D]

andersk,
    neat! I see my lady more and more in the ways and actions of my M-I-L, not a bad thing!
  • Options
    RickstirRickstir Member Posts: 574
    edited November -1
    I lucked out twice. My first wife died in 1994 after 28 years of marriage. Got along wonderfully with her mother. I remarried in 1996, and stole my 16 year younger honey out of the city to our farm 120 miles away. My new mother-in-law was very supportive because she knew we loved each other and we both wanted to get the heck out of the city.
    Acutally my original mother-in-law has "adopted" my wife and we all get along great. I remember a scene a few years with both mother-in-laws walking hand in hand with my grandson down to the lake. Don't see that too often[:)]

Like in the NFL, defense is the key.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You are a lucky man Rick!