In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

US Forces Make Iraqis Strip and Walk Naked --

FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
edited May 2003 in General Discussion
I don't know how valid it is but it's funny [:D]

>>> On 25 April 2003, the newspaper Dagbladet (Norway) published photos of armed US soldiers forcing Iraqi men to walk naked through a park.

On the chests of the men had been scrawled an Arabic phrase that translates as "Ali Baba - Thief."

A military officer states that the men are thieves, and that this technique will be used again.

No word yet from the newly liberated Iraqi people about some of them being summarily found guilty of theft, forced at gunpoint to strip, having a racist phrase written on their bodies, and then made to walk naked in public. No doubt the Arab/Muslim world is impressed by this display of "democracy," "freedom," "due process," and "no cruel or unusual punishment."

We wonder if the soldiers will be using this technique on their comrades who stole $13.1 million in Iraq. Or the journalists who looted Iraq's art.

If True!! Imagine what would happen to them under Saddam, hell a war crime? people here run naked for no reason.

http://www.thememoryhole.org/war/stripped-iraqis.htm

hsas157x100.gif
gun1.gif

God Bless our Troops
Virtutis-Gloria-Merces

Comments

• Options
    jwhardingjwharding Member Posts: 2,897 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have just shot them.[}:)]

fc6cb6ef.gif
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Despite the 1001 Nights fairy tale, I understand that Ali Baba is the Iraqis' own name for thieves. As for whose idea it was that they walk naked as punishment, it could well be the Iraqis' idea too. But frankly I think American troops should avoid being associated with the practice, especially after the hoopla about parading POWs less than a month ago.

Life NRA Member

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."
  • Options
    rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How is being labeled a thief considered a racist statement?
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,009 ******
    edited November -1
    After the first apparent surrender that turned out to be an ambush, I would have stripped every Iraqi I saw. Naked men can't hide guns and bombs too easily.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Not to put too fine a point on it but, if true, this wold have to be one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. Humiliation at gunpoint engenders nothing but resentment that will turn to violence in direct proportion to how humiliating the experience is. Take a look at the Palestinians in the West Bank. Forced to strip to their underwear lest they be hiding weapons, they don't think, "Ooh, I'm embarrassed. I will never raise a finger against the Israelis again." When "punished" in such a fashion, their one and only thought is payback.
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Screw 'em.

Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Touchy deal no doubt. And, most likely a semi-dumb idea at best as far as public perception goes.

Course, we could have just cut off their hands! Isn't that their own way of punishment?[:0]

And, everyone seems to skip over the fact that the locals are the ones who suggested to the LT that this was a good way to punish them.

True, the guys stripped will not have good thoughts about Americans (and their own neighbors who made the suggestion), but ya know, when I've been punished over the years I can't remember ever thanking the school Dean, my parents, whoever for meting out said punishment. Even when I deserved it![}:)]