In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Figured out what I'm going to do about the SKS...

Short TraderShort Trader Member Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2002 in General Discussion
I'm not. I decided to build a shotgun instead. I've got a Rem 870 Marine Mag but I want something else, sooooo...

I'm going to start with a standard Rem 1187. First I'll add a mag tube extension. Then, depending on the length of the extension, I'll have the bbl cut to 18.5" - 20" whatever looks best (I don't want an 18.5" bbl with a 20" mag extension). Next, I'll send the receiver, bbl, and mag tube to Alo-Mar for their OD green moly coat finish (about $80 according to a member that had this service done from another site). When it gets back, I'll put on a black synthetic pistol grip stock (buttstock with a pistol grip). I'll add sling swivels, a sling, side-saddle shell holder, an elastic shell holder on the buttstock, and one of those bright orange mag followers. I'll top it all off with a Holo sight system.

Whadda ya'll think? I think I'll be much happier with this setup than with the SKS.

Buy low, short high...

Comments

• Options
    Gordian BladeGordian Blade Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd rather keep my shotgun simple (KISS -- Keep It Simple Stupid) because it absolutely, positively has to work when I need it to. I'd rather trick out a rifle for fun, show, and target/plinking. But it's all a matter of personal preference. Whatever floats your boat!
  • Options
    BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    Buy yourself a Yugo SKS for $150 in EC and spend a few bucks getting a red-dot scope, folding stock, whole mess of stripper clips, etc.

You'll be happier in the long run.

I've discovered that modifications to a pump-action shotgun are just not worth the effort and cash unless you're butt's gonna be on the line if you ever have to use it (i.e- building a home defense model). And even then, the difference in usefulness with pistol grips fore and aft and a 16.5" cylinder bore barrel is not huge.

What benefit would an aftermarket mag tube extension and a pistol-grip stock have on a full-sized shotgun anyway? Unless you're planning on a massive close-range shootout of some sort.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A pistol grip and mag extension on a semi-auto shotgun will effectively violate section 922r if I am not mistaken. You will have manufactured a semi-automatic assault weapon. I would check with Mark Christian or NMEYERS for a better explanation, they know much more about the actual written laws than I do, and I could be completely wrong. I do however remember that pistol grips and mag extensions, (in concurrence) may be a violation of some sort. The only thing you can do to an 1187 is the mag extension and/or shorten the barrel to legal length, but not the grip. Like I said, check it out first, I could be wrong. Don't get caught behind the

A great rifle with a junk scope,....is junk.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A pistol grip and mag extension on a semi-auto shotgun will effectively violate section 922r if I am not mistaken. You will have manufactured a semi-automatic assault weapon. I would check with Mark Christian or NMEYERS for a better explanation, they know much more about the actual written laws than I do, and I could be completely wrong. I do however remember that pistol grips and mag extensions, (in concurrence) may be a violation of some sort. The only thing you can do to an 1187 is the mag extension and/or shorten the barrel to legal length, but not the grip. Like I said, check it out first, I could be wrong. Don't get caught behind the

• Options
    edited November -1
    Gordian,
    Is it the Holo that turns you off of the gun? I think everything else is KISS. And I feel confident in all of my Rem shotguns that they will cycle/fire properly everytime with proper care.

Bullzeye,
    Its not a pump. It won't have a 16.5" bbl. It won't have a pistol grip on the forearm (and probably won't have one on the rear according to JustC's post). Also, I bet I can get better groups at 100 yards with my 1187, slugs, and Holo, than I can with a Yugo and a red-dot.

JustC,
    The pistol grip I'm talking about has a fixed buttstock, not a folder, does this still apply to 922r? If it does, then I will go with a speed feed standard buttstock and no rear elastic shell holder. Everything else will remain the same.

The mag extension will be there because I want it, that's the reason for it.

This gun won't be for home use. I have a SxS 12ga with 7.5s in my bedroom. It will replace my 870 Marine in the trunk of my car.

Thanks for the comments/reviews/help so far, keep it coming.

Buy low, short high...
  • Options
    REBJrREBJr Member Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Short Trader, Have ya seen those 10 round drum mags for shotguns? They look neat, I just don't know anything about em-Ralph

Nothing very, very good or very, very bad lasts for very, very long.
  • Options
    BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    It doesnt matter if it is semi-automatic or pump action, it is not subject to the Semi-Automatic Assault Weapons law if it has a fixed magazine. That includes shotgun magazines.

Secondly, I misread your post and thought you were going to be working with the 870 Marine Mag. instead of the Rem. 1187.

If I may ask, what is your primary use going to be for this shotgun when you're finished? That makes a big difference.

PS- An SKS with a standard 24.4" rifle barrel with intact rifling will shoot circles around a 20" smoothbore shotgun, especially with a scope. And you can quote me on that. Dont kid yourself.
  • Options
    dads-freeholddads-freehold Member Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    greetings, i have to agree with bul'ey' on the sks vs 1187 at 100yards. the sks is just getting started good at a hundred while the shotgun is about spent at that range. i have a moss 500 tricked like the one on the tac-star advertizement, for close range,and an sks carbine on a scoped chocate stock for mid range.well good luck on your project. respt submitted dads-freehold

if your going to be a savage, be a headhunter
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just be sure before you do it. Ask an FFL holder. Like I said, I can't say for sure, but there is a grey area about building a "semiauotmatic rifle or shotgun" in anything but it's original configuration.

• Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I purchases a Remington 870 Express back in 1996. I ordered a pistol grip buttstock and a magazine tube extension. Both parts that I ordered were accompanied by a letter from the ATF stating that it is illegal to install the two simultaneously. I guess it's okay if such things come standard from the factory but it's not okay if you make the alterations or certain combinations of alterations after the fact.
  • Options
    snake-eyessnake-eyes Member Posts: 869
    edited November -1
    I think it was the movie Ghost's of Mars that had a shotgun I liked, anyone else notice it?

*If there is one gun for every 7 people in the world, I'm saving alot of people money*
  • Options
    redcedarsredcedars Member Posts: 919 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    idsman;

Did the ATF say what reg or code would be violated?

redcedars

"The true art of war lies in so sapping your opponent's will to fight that he surrenders without battle." Sun Tzu
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    bullz'
    if'n your talking about MY yugo sks it wont shoot rings around a daisy bb gun.
    lotta fun to blast with, just dont shoot to pretty straight.
    barto

the hard stuff we do right away - the impossible takes a little longer
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bullzeye,
    I had the same experience that Barto had. And I have an 870 SP that I sometimes deer hunt with that I have (and can at anytime) put 5 slugs in a 6" circle at 100 yards with. It is smoothbore, but it does have a 26" bbl compared to the 20 or 18.5. Anyway, thats where my statement comes from and I stand by it for the equipment that I have used. I'm sure that there are enough accurate Yugo's and inaccurate shotguns and vice versa to make both of our points several times over. Just wanted to let you know that I'm not kidding myself, this comes from actual experience.

This one will replace the 870 Marine that I carry around in the trunk of my car. I've had the 870 in there for about 14 months and have never had the need for it, and I hope I never have the need for this one, but that's what it will be for - whatever comes up.

Reb,
    I haven't seen those, would be cool, but I don't think I'd want to fool with them.

JustC, Idsman75, and everyone else,
    I have decided to go with the speed feed standard stock so that I won't have to worry one way or the other whether or not I'm violating any laws or regulations. Thank you so much for the input and looking out for my hide.

Ya'll do have to admit that the OD green finish with the black synthetic stock is gonna look COOL

Buy low, short high...