In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

71 vs 86 winchester

scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
edited February 2006 in General Discussion
I have never owned a model 71 winchester or used that 348 caliber. the gun looks like an 1886 but they're antiques and would be more collectable to me but it seems more people are willing to spend the cash for the 71. blue book backs me on this, what do you think?

Comments

• Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the .348 caliber and the guns, both Brownings and the original Winchesters.
    just my opinion......
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by scottm21166
    I have never owned a model 71 winchester or used that 348 caliber. the gun looks like an 1886 but they're antiques and would be more collectable to me but it seems more people are willing to spend the cash for the 71. blue book backs me on this, what do you think?

The 1871 was manufactured between 1935 and 1957. the 1886 was manu. between 1886 and 1935. Some of the 86s may be antiques but, I don't think any of the 71s are? [:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I wasnt using the official definition of antique and was considering the model 71 to be a modern weapon in comparison. so, are people actually useing the 71 for hunting or is it a collector thing too? I guess Im saying that either is antiquated but the original 86 should be worth more to collectors?
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

The Model 71 (not 1871 as ATF stated) was simply a slightly modernized version of the Model 1886/86. It was made with a better steel alloy, and it was chambered for the .348 Winchester only. Not all Model 1886/86s are antique... only those manufactured prior to January 1st, 1899.

Contrary to what the Blue Book says (and I am taking your word for it) The Model 1886 typically will be worth considerably more than a Model 71, especially those that are in excellent condition. A good friend of mine recently sold a Model 1886 .50-110 Express for $11,500. I have never seen a Model 71 sell for even half that amount.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I wasnt using the official definition of antique and was considering the model 71 to be a modern weapon in comparison. so, are people actually useing the 71 for hunting or is it a collector thing too? I guess Im saying that either is antiquated but the original 86 should be worth more to collectors?

Those folks in Canada and Alaska that own them use them as hunting tools. Those of us in the lower 48 collect them[:D] Yes, the Model 1886 is worth considerably more than a Model 71 to us diehard Winchester collectors.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Contrary to what the Blue Book says (and I am taking your word for it) The Model 1886 typically will be worth considerably more than a Model 71, especially those that are in excellent condition. A good friend of mine recently sold a Model 1886 .50-110 Express for $11,500. I have never seen a Model 71 sell for even half that amount.
    [/quote]
    Bert the books says the 1886 is worth more...prices are higher but more people are buying the model 71 Ive seen them sell upwards of 4K while really nice 1886s priced similarly go unsold
  • Options
    CowboyEngrCowboyEngr Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It depends on the specifics. The 1886's are generally more popular and expensive, I think due to their "old west" connection. But, the 71's are very popular with a certain crowd, both as shooters and collector's. I don't think there were nearly as many 71's made as 1886's, but you are more likely to find a 71 in excellent shape, due to the more recent manufacture.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bert the books says the 1886 is worth more...prices are higher but more people are buying the model 71 Ive seen them sell upwards of 4K while really nice 1886s priced similarly go unsold

Scott,

I am not sure where you see more Model 71s being sold than Model 1886s, but in my experience, many more people buy and sell Model 1886s. At gun shows like Reno, Las Vegas, Denver, Tulsa, Cody, etc., it is at least a 50:1 ratio. If you follow the more popular internet auction sites (I follow six of them), the same trend exists. At live auctions (such as Little John's), many more Model 1886s are sold than Model 71s.
  • Options
    goldslammergoldslammer Member Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can pick up a 71 in 348. for under $1000, I would snag it up in a second. My cousin has one that was his fathers, bought new after the war. It's well used, action smooth as glass and still accurate. I've always wanted one.