In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Another gun/rifle decision question.

schotzi1schotzi1 Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
edited April 2004 in General Discussion
I would like to add a "sniper" style rifle to my collection. I am an avid "handgun" collector and really have no clue about rifles. I know my local gun dealer will try to sell me what has been sitting on the shelf for a while.

I would like one that I can get a scope and that "tripod" thing on the front. (know what I mean by "tripod thing"? so you can lay down and the front of the gun is up in the air)

I don't care about caliber (I don't know the differences anyway). But I would want it to be accurate at say 100-200 yards.

Bolt action or semi.....Doesn't matter.

Price around $1000

NO, I do not have "plans" for it.....I may never even shoot it.

"meet me in Margaritaville"

Comments

• Options
    DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    M1A Match....May cost a tad bit more than $1000.00[8D]

"You Know Your Remembered When Your Being Ignored"
  • Options
    njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    schotzi1!

Why do I get the feeling that the BATF just opened a file on you? [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

njretcop@copmail.com

vic.jpgamericana_logo.art

Charlie
  • Options
    DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would'nt suprise me if this whole site is on file![:0]

"You Know Your Remembered When Your Being Ignored"
  • Options
    358 WINCHESTER358 WINCHESTER Member Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    schotzi1
    it is a bi-pod and get it in 308 bolt action.You will spend as much for the scope as you do for the rifle if you are going for a true "sniper" rifle.

DIRTYRAT what [:0][:(!] the whole site man I am in trouble[;)]
    but just in case
    I LOVR THE BATF THEY ARE NICE PEOPLE[:D][:D][:D]

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
  • Options
    ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah I need a sniper rifle too (in case the day ever comes when I might need it, good addition to the arsenal), probably a Model 700, or maybe a savage with an accutrigger, definitely a .308.

ruger.jpgGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gifak.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First of all,..there is no such thing as a "Sniper Rifle". It is that terminology which allows those with NO firearms experience to demonize our hobby and take steps to releive us of our traditions. ANY rifle,..used by someone who "snipes" another person,..is "THAT" Sniper's rifle,...but there is no such thing as "A" sniper rifle. Any rifle has the potential,..it is the individual who makes it that. Referring to it as such,..will make it harder and harder for us to have accurate rifles in the future,..as laws will be past to take the evil tools out of our hands[V][:(] No offense,..just lending you some advise as to how we should speak of such things in todays political climate.

Now,..off my soapbox and on to the details of your inquiry. My suggestion for an "ACCURATE, Heavy barrled bolt action rifle" (if you want to,..you can call it tactical) would be the Remington 700 in any of the VS, VSSF, VLS, Sendero, or Sendero SF or PSS configurations would do well. Mount a good piece of glass on it (Leupold LR, IOR Valdada, Nightforce,Tasco super sniper) in a good set of weaver style cross slotted bases (not weaver) and a good set of rings,..and you will have a rifle that shoots with amazing accuracy at the relativley mild distances your are looking at.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .........doesnt know the first thing about one but wants one. holy cow. are you a mormon? so why pay 1000.00 for one? afterall, since you dont know anything about them, odds are you cant shoot one either. just go get a bolt action m-70 and stuff it away. who says its not a good sniper gun? the word sniper attached to any normal gun painted black jacks the price 100%! and any gun will hit a target under 100yds....where most sniping takes place anyway. just get a rifle! any rifle! think it out! [xx(]

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    BOBSKI - Thanks for the sarcasm.....It's nice to know there are people that are willing to help out and answer questions.(THIS "BIRDS" FOR YOU)

Justc - I get your point.....I guess I should watch my wording.

Ruger270man, 358, Dirtyrat - Thanks I will look into those.

• Options
    SilverBoxSilverBox Member Posts: 2,347
    edited November -1
    YOU WANT THIS:

Best bang for you buck.

Can't go wrong.

SAVGTR_XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Silverbox - THANKS, That is exactly the "style" I am looking for.

GREAT price too!

• Options
    edited November -1
    Once you replace the crappy stock on that savage,..you will have a really nice rifle.

To do so,...check here
    www.mcmfamily.com
    www.hsprecision.com

Those injection molded (read plastic) stocks leave a bit to be desired as far as pinpoint groups go,...but the savage action and especially their barrels are top notch. They have some of the best factory barrels going. Scratch the accutrigger and get a Rifle basix or timney with the extra money. But by all means,...take a good hard look at the Savage product,...they shoot. I know some guys who are doing some "not for you and me" ammo testing for the military using savages. I am however a remington 700 guy through and through, not that a properly priced savage won't find it's way into the stable[;)]

Got Balistics?
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's one for you.[:D][:D][:D][8D][8D][8D]
    sniper_help.jpg

Eagle_Guns.gif
    Limerick.gif

A little lemon and seltzer will remove those pesky ink stains after you've been fingerprinted. "
    Martha Stewart

ATF,Eagle Guns
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ATF has posted a picture of the mcmillan "A" series stock I was reffering to[8D]

And,..the instructions on the lens cap are to be followed.[:D]

Got Balistics?
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    In real life the $1,000 you have in your budget will just about pay for the scope you'll need for your rifle! The Savage package already shown is a good buy because it comes complete and ready to go, but the stocks (as already mentioned) are worthless. Bobski's point about the Winchester Model 70 is not a bad one since the Marine Corps used these as their sniper rifles in three wars and only gave them up during Viet Nam because Winchester would no longer supply parts for the pre-64 USMC Model 70s's. Unfortunitly with the Winchester you'll have to purchase an action, then a barrel, then the stock and pretty much build the rifle yourself. I think your best plan of action is a Remington M700 Police Model in .308 with a 26" barrel and kevlar stock. With some careful shopping you are under $800 for this rifle. Go out and purchase the most basic Leupold 3X9 tactical scope and a good set of rings (maybe $350 total) and add a Harris bipod (another $50) and you should be all set for around $1200.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    Schotzi
    Just buy any Sako or Tikka. Out of the box accuracy is phenominal and you'd be getting a quality firearm.
    Stay away from the nomenclature "sniper". Just go shoot and learn how to hit a target at 1-2-3-400 yds. Then start looking for groundhogs. Brings a whole new meaning to the word fun.
    Enjoy - be safe.

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.

Elefteria y Thanatos - Code of Crete