In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Daylight savings time this weekend-

FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
edited March 2004 in General Discussion
Like it or hate it?

Daylight Saving Time was instituted in the United States during World War I in order to save energy for war production by taking advantage of the later hours of daylight between April and October. During World War II the federal government again required the states to observe the time change. Between the wars and after World War II, states and communities chose whether or not to observe Daylight Saving Time. In 1966, Congress passed the Uniform Time Act which standardized the length of Daylight Saving Time. Arizona, Hawaii, parts of Indiana, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and American Samoa have chosen not to observe Daylight Saving Time.

Other parts of the world observe Daylight Saving Time as well. While European nations have been taking advantage of the time change for decades, in 1996 the European Union (EU) standardized a EU-wide "summertime period." The EU version of Daylight Saving Time runs from the last Sunday in March through the last Sunday in October. During the summer, Russia's clocks are two hours ahead of standard time. During the winter, all 11 of the Russian time zones are an hour ahead of standard time. During the summer months, Russian clocks are advanced another hour ahead. With their high latitude, the two hours of Daylight Saving Time really helps to save daylight. In the southern hemisphere where summer comes in December, Daylight Saving Time is observed from October to March. Equatorial and tropical countries (lower latitudes) don't observe Daylight Saving Time since the daylight hours are similar during every season, so there's no advantage to moving clocks forward during the summer.

The next time you're changing your clocks for Daylight Saving Time, remember that it's not just trying to mess up your schedule but its purpose is to save energy. (or so they say)[:D] More calif. rolling black outs. [:D][}:)][:D][;)]

eyeflash.gif

Comments

• Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is great debate every year here in Indiana about "getting in step" with the rest of the nation. It seems to be an incredibly simple concept to me, we use Eastern Standard Time all year long. In July it will just be twilight at 9 p.m. I really don't think we need to save any more daylight than that. People in other states who call us backwards seem to be admitting to being too lazy to exercise just a little thought to calculate what time EST is compared to their own zone. It's just really not all that difficult to grasp.

avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Experience is the best teacher and usually charges accordingly.

crawfordsville.gif
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    I quess that kills the reason we do this as I was told.
    I was told it started so the kids wouldn't be going to school in the dark. Never gave it much thought.
    We still do this just to tick off the parents trying to wake up the kids in the morning. [:(!]
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    daddo

That's ok! Mom always told me it was so people could work in there victory gardens after work during WWII.

eyeflash.gif
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by daddo
    I quess that kills the reason we do this as I was told.
    I was told it started so the kids wouldn't be going to school in the dark. Never gave it much thought.
    We still do this just to tick off the parents trying to wake up the kids in the morning. [:(!]

That's where the "Fall Back" part comes in.

avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Experience is the best teacher and usually charges accordingly.

crawfordsville.gif
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly