In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ford Fiesta

Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
edited November 2018 in General Discussion
I was looking at a 2013 model on my local Ford dealer's website but I looked it up and there were a lot of complaints about the transmission, then I saw it was assembled in Mexico.

Anybody have one?
I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly

Comments

• Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have the Fiesta.

I have a 2010 Focus not sure if they use the same transmission.

My Focus just turned 150k this week and have only done oil changes, brakes and tires.
  • Options
    rivethookrivethook Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have a 2013 Fiesta we bought used to tow behind our RV, because it can be towed wheels down, I should have checked out the Fiesta Forum first. The transmission is really JUNK, sometimes it sounds like a coffee can full of rocks under the hood as it shifts, sometimes it misses shifts and vibrates like its falling out of the car when you leave a stop. The car runs great on the highway . It spent the first months back and forth to the Ford dealer most of the time waiting in the lot for other Fiesta to get worked on for transmission problems . Fords answer was more or less that models bad about that, they had so many problems they added a 7 year warranty for the transmission, BUT not for the problems most have kind of tell you to just live with it.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a Ford, never considered it.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is what happens when you let bean counters design cars, not engineers. When you produce a car whose sole object is to be cheap enough for even the destitute to buy one, this is what you get.

It isn't just a Ford problem.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,376 ******
    edited November -1
    Never owned or experienced a fiesta but did have a Chevy Citation many years ago. My good lifelong friend and mechanic told me the first time I brought it in for work, that it was a "throw away vehicle"!

He did a few repairs on the car over the coarse of a couple of years and told me that if I ever brought it back for anything else, he would not touch it. I never bought another economy car since!
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Brookwood
    Never owned or experienced a fiesta but did have a Chevy Citation many years ago. My good lifelong friend and mechanic told me the first time I brought it in for work, that it was a "throw away vehicle"!

He did a few repairs on the car over the coarse of a couple of years and told me that if I ever brought it back for anything else, he would not touch it. I never bought another economy car since!

My Grandparents had a Citation many moons ago. Seemed like a decent car, but grandpa, who was a bus mechanic was not impressed with the life he got out of the front tires.

Had a customer years ago, project engineer, who drove the Cadillac version, Cinnamon, Cimarron (something like that). It was a Chevy for someone who really wanted the Cadillac emblem in his driveway.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 956 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I searched for an economy car I dismissed the subcompacts as most have problems, from the Smart, Abarth, Fords and found only two that had consistent good quality, Honda and Toyota. I went with the Corolla as being grand less than the Civic and at 68,000 miles with no problems.
  • Options
    KX500KX500 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I worked in the automotive industry, as a supplier to Ford, for about 11 years. I'll probably never forget the day we had a Ford rep in, and as an excuse for their iffy quality said 'well everybody buys a new car every 3 years anyway, right'? Of course we were standing in a factory full of people making a little better than minimum wage.

One of my few talents is sarcasm. I pointed to the nearest window to the parking lot and said 'sure, see for your self'. He couldn't even see a vehicle that wasn't at least 5 years old!

That, combined with many other encounters, told me all I needed to know about Ford 'quality'.
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have read that a Toyota Corolla has more American made parts than many of the so called American cars. Don't know for sure if that is true but I think it is true. What I do know is true is my 2010 Corolla is the best car I have ever owned.

My total car repair bills for over 210,000 miles (ignoring brakes, tires and oil changes) is replacing one wheel bearing!!

ONE WHEEL BEARING, 210,000 miles!!!!! That is not mentioning driving 650 miles on the Interstate at 80 to 85 MPH and averaging 37 MPG!!!!

Yes, I really love my Toyota!!!![:D][:D]
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I forgot that I have chanced my spark plugs three times!!
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe it's a newer version of the Ford Pinto
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Transmission Control Module is what fails, "if" it even worked right when it was new. Thousand of Fords have this transmission, all with the same failure, and no recall?
    Take it into the dealer, and they tell you they all slip, "it's normal". Then when it won't move anymore, it's suddenly the TCM. They replace the TCM on warranty, but not the half burnt transmission it caused.
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TRAP55
    They replace the TCM on warranty, but not the half burnt transmission it caused.

I went to look at the car. I thought the warranty was worded oddly. I covers "lubricated parts" and any parts that fail due to failure of a lubricated part.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly