In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need help with air guns

pipskickspipskicks Member Posts: 3,049
edited June 2004 in General Discussion
So I always wanted an air gun when I was a little kid but my parents always refused-maybe that has something to do with my obsession with real guns now.
Anyways, I have a 9 year old little brother, and I wanted to get him an air gun, but I know there is no way I will be able to convince my parents unless I can show them that it is real safe and all of that.
So I was wondering if there are air guns that pretty much can be used for target practice, but wouldn't do any damage if they hit someone, or what would the least powerful airgun do to someone if they got hit by it, I know some of the more powerful ones could leave a nasty mark, and I kind of want to see if there is something that would be fairly safe if someone got hit by it by accident so I can convince my parents.

Any help you guys can give would be appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    All guns kill and should be treated as such. There is no excuse for accidents. Safe gun handling is required with any gun that fires a projectile.

That being said, start out with a BB gun or other Wal-mart air rifle. Make sure you have a safe place to shoot. Make sure your brother can safely handle the weapon and is trustworthy before you give it to him.

Ben
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    Pip thats not a very good idea for a demonstration. The proper way to convince your folks, is for your little bro to show them proper gun safty. The same safty should be taken with a pellet rifle same as any other firearm. I mean how would it look "Ok mom and dad watch me shoot little bro, to show you that it wont hurt him!" Teach him gun safty, thats the only way to do it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK you got the wrong idea, I am not thinking he will actually shoot someone, if he did I would take that away from him immediately. I also know that he is the most calm 9 year old I have ever met, and I think he would easily be able to safely use it.
    The problem is convincing my parents to let him use it, and because of that I am wondering what low-power air gun/rifle to look into, this is only to calm my parents down, and I think once they see that he is able to use it safely he will be able to get a higher-powered one.
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    Start out with something very simple like a daisy, or red rider lever action. I'd say those 2 are about as low powered as they come, and they have a good safty. It would be a good rifle to start the safty learning process.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I will look into them, secondly, they have a fairly small backyard, what kind of wall can you shoot it against and at what distance?
    They have a pretty tall (I think cement) wall in the back of the backyard so I was thinking he could put up target in front of it, and as long as he stood far back enough and didnt have a high power it would be fine against the wall.
  • Options
    Raider006Raider006 Member Posts: 350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try starting out with an airsoft gun. They shoot plastic bb's at low velocity. My friends and I have wars with them and they only leave little welts for about 30 min. Just make sure to wear eye protection b/c they tend to bounce all over the place if they hit something hard. Check them out on www.airsoftairsoft.com or www.airsoft128.com

I just love the way my M44's muzzle blast moves leaves 15 meters away.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    those airsoft guns seems like a perfect idea, they have a metal target it seems that would be able to be used with it.
    Thanks Raider!
  • Options
    Raider006Raider006 Member Posts: 350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No problem, glad I could help. They are lots of fun.

I just love the way my M44's muzzle blast moves leaves 15 meters away.
  • Options
    STRIPPER-TIPPERSTRIPPER-TIPPER Member Posts: 323 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A cement wall can cause a ricochet.Back up the target with layers(4" or so)of cardboard,enough that the bb will not go all the way through. I wasn't alowed a bb gun either. My dad thought it would be too easy to shoot out a window. He said a .22 would be ok though, knowing I would be supervised when shooting it. I wouldn't get a cheap bb gun as most are a waste of money. There are good quality air guns out there that will serve your use better. I would look into a hunter saftey course in your area. Take your brother with you and both of you go through the course. Maybe if your parents see that you are serious about safe gun handling they will help you out. Better yet have the whole family get involved.
  • Options
    270 Deer Slayer270 Deer Slayer Member Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, if I shot you with my pellet gun, you would probably die. I dont think there's a pellet gun out there worth buying that you can shoot a person with and not have it hurt. Maybe get him one of thos airsoft guns with yellow pellets. I know when I was about 8 I had on of those!

"A blood trail is life" (Ted Nugent)
    turkey.gif