In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I'm Iraqi-PAY ME!

alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
edited August 2004 in General Discussion
Soldiers Hand Out Cash to Buy Goodwill

U.S. soldiers are handing out cash to pre-empt an enemy's cash-for-attack offer to unemployed Iraqis. This strategy has become the "first line of defense" in some parts of the country, a newspaper reports. Do you think cash buys long-term goodwill?

Military officers patrolling in Iraq say cash is another weapon in the war. Even patrol leaders carry cash that comes from brigade commanders who receive $50,000 to $100,000 each month, The Washington Post reported Monday. The money is slated for rehabilitation and emergency projects, but there are few restrictions on how it is spent.

Many former Iraqi soldiers are unemployed and targets enemies who pay them to attack U.S. interests. Bonus comes with a successful kill. Lieutenant Colonel Randall Potterf, civil affairs officer for the Army's First Infantry Division, told The Post that he has met two Iraqi men who said, "I don't love you and I don't hate you. But somebody's offered me $200 to set up a mortar or a [roadside bomb], and there's a bonus if we kill you."

The money is sometimes given in exchange for work on community projects, but also dolled out when they say they need to buy something. One commander paid local Iraqi men $350 to haul trash and $770 to clean a ditch. Another paid $500 to have his car repaired and good sums to victims of violence. Others have paid entrepreneurs to help start their businesses.

As U.S. soldiers continue to fall victim to roadside bombs and other daily attacks, the U.S. military is reconsidering its tactic in Iraq. One suggestion gaining ground at the Pentagon is to have the U.S. military become less visible and even retreat to remote desert camps, The Post reported in a separate article.

The suggestion runs counter to previous strategies that required U.S. forces to be omnipresent and conduct highly visible raids. But the idea follows frank comments from commanders in the field that the presence of U.S. troops is provoking the more attacks.

Do you think cash buys long-term goodwill?

Gun_smokes.gif

Delta.gif

Extreme moments of horror should be met with extreme actions of preventive retribution

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my youth the most!

Comments

• Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by alledan

Absolutely. We've been doing it since the '40's and look where it's gotten us.
  • Options
    interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    I say we tell em' "Get your Sheet In Line Or We Will Light You Farking * Up" works for me![:D]

topcat1.bmp Don't "F" with kitty!! unamerican.gif
  • Options
    pipskickspipskicks Member Posts: 3,049
    edited November -1
    This sounds like something Kerry would do...

"Girls often say it's not the size of the boat, and it's the motion of the ocean, well I'll tell you this it takes a hell of a long time to get to England on a row boat"
    "Marrying for sex is like taking a plane ride for peanuts"
    -Jeff Foxworthy
  • Options
    Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    Man have I seen this before.... in my humble opinion, it does not work. Again, like so many other liberal, democrat-based policies (uh hum CPA) implemented during this conflict, it is a sign of weakness to the Iraqi's- American's need to wake up and realize what's good in/for America is not good in/for Iraqi's. [:(]

NSDQ!

NS_Crest.jpgr6team.gifAmerican_IR_Flag.jpg

"The Lord knows the way I take, and when He has tested me, I shall come forth as gold" JOB 23:10
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    Yes General, I handed out my $5,000 in the last 2 weeks...[:D][:D]

This is like we are paying North Korea off with free food and oil to keep them from NUKING the Continental U.S..

The Marines were formed because of muslim pirates on the high seas demanding money, taking hostages, taking our ships, cargo, enslaving us.

The Marines know how to deal with Muslims like this. Bullets and bayonets.[:D][:D]

awcountdown.gifIt wasn't only the Bill Clinton Gun Ban- without Bill Ruger there would of been no ban .
    MichaelMooreFatStupid.gif
  • Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    This strategy has become the "first line of defense"

This works around the house when the wife is a little ... dissatisfied with things.
    It restores a sense of normalcy.
  • Options
    bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Need to do like the Roman Legions and form an army of ex-Iraqi military then send them to Korea and other non-Islamic countries.

Some guy says," I don't like you or hate you, but so and so will pay me to kill you", I would have shot him in the face on the spot to relieve myself of the worry instead of paying the punk.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Options
    CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    more reparations..Oh crap.

PJ

quote:Originally posted by alledan
    Soldiers Hand Out Cash to Buy Goodwill

U.S. soldiers are handing out cash to pre-empt an enemy's cash-for-attack offer to unemployed Iraqis. This strategy has become the "first line of defense" in some parts of the country, a newspaper reports. Do you think cash buys long-term goodwill?

Military officers patrolling in Iraq say cash is another weapon in the war. Even patrol leaders carry cash that comes from brigade commanders who receive $50,000 to $100,000 each month, The Washington Post reported Monday. The money is slated for rehabilitation and emergency projects, but there are few restrictions on how it is spent.

Many former Iraqi soldiers are unemployed and targets enemies who pay them to attack U.S. interests. Bonus comes with a successful kill. Lieutenant Colonel Randall Potterf, civil affairs officer for the Army's First Infantry Division, told The Post that he has met two Iraqi men who said, "I don't love you and I don't hate you. But somebody's offered me $200 to set up a mortar or a [roadside bomb], and there's a bonus if we kill you."

The money is sometimes given in exchange for work on community projects, but also dolled out when they say they need to buy something. One commander paid local Iraqi men $350 to haul trash and $770 to clean a ditch. Another paid $500 to have his car repaired and good sums to victims of violence. Others have paid entrepreneurs to help start their businesses.

As U.S. soldiers continue to fall victim to roadside bombs and other daily attacks, the U.S. military is reconsidering its tactic in Iraq. One suggestion gaining ground at the Pentagon is to have the U.S. military become less visible and even retreat to remote desert camps, The Post reported in a separate article.

The suggestion runs counter to previous strategies that required U.S. forces to be omnipresent and conduct highly visible raids. But the idea follows frank comments from commanders in the field that the presence of U.S. troops is provoking the more attacks.

Gun_smokes.gif

Delta.gif

Extreme moments of horror should be met with extreme actions of preventive retribution

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my youth the most!

editorialcolor.bmp
    If nobody seen you do it, how could you have done it. NRA Endowment Member, AF&AM
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    good thing bdj is on our side

My old man's backhand used to land,
    Hard on the side of my head.
    I just learned to stay out of his way.
    There's been streetfights, blue lights,
    Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest:
    It just showed me how much I could take.
    Hard times, bad luck.
    Sometimes, life sucks.
    That's all right, I'm ok.
    It ain't nothin' but another day.