In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

My observation, So.Cali gun culture

will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
edited November 2003 in General Discussion
On a recent trip to Redlands, CA to shoot on the skeet ranges, I finally found where Southern California stores it's gun culture;everywhere!

I was delighted to see the Inland Fish and Game as well as the Redlands skeet range overflowing with shooters. This is not an exaggeration, overflowing is the correct word. Inland is a large range consisting of trap, wobble trap, skeet, sporting clays, pistol, and rifle ranges. In some cases several of each. Even range houses staffed by Boy Scouts as volunteers and paid employees. There was hardly a place to park on either of these multi acre ranges. Redlands even has places for you to hook your camper up to water and electricity. Enough about the ranges.

I am a very abrasive person, I speak my mind to whomever I please and on a regular basis. I have repeatedly tried to seek out the anti-gun crowd and have only found a handful of folks opposed to gun ownership of any kind. Trust me, I drill hard on these folks, if you don't like pistols because they're "dangerous" compared to rifles you qualify as an anti-gunner in the book I'm writin'!(not really writing a book, but you knew that) I've looked in the cities and in the country for the past three years and all for just a few "nuts".

If it's so hard for me to find anti-gun zealots, where in hell did all this gun control come from? Am I looking in the wrong places? I certainly didn't look for these people at the ranges. I smell special interest and politician and I think we all have for a while.

Does this prove anything? No, I had no control group to base my "studies" on. Just thought you folks might want to know, if you come to Cali, you WILL have someone to shoot with!

Chris[;)]

"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend."
~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~

Comments

• Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't come there to shoot my guns because my guns would make me a "criminal" in that state. I'm glad to hear there are lots of happy shooters there, but if we look closely at what they're limited to shooting, we might not feel quite so "free."

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

lifepatch.giffortbutton2.gif
  • Options
    joey garzajoey garza Member Posts: 523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    as you say ,if you are an abrasive person I would wait until I was out of your line of fire to disagree with you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joey garza
    as you say ,if you are an abrasive person I would wait until I was out of your line of fire to disagree with you.

I would never be that abrasive. I'm a free speech nut just as much as I'm a gun nut. Only criminals are in harms way around me and even then, only if I'm threatened.

Offeror, that part sucks and you'll hear alot of onagerin' about it down there. Alot of petitions go around with that crowd. Someone IS doing something and, as usual, the politicians ain't hearing it.

• Options
    edited November -1
    So..............who want s to go break some birds?

• Options
    sunasuna Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a So CAL shooter. You are right there is a lot of shooters here in a state where there are alot of dumb Gun laws. I just return from Texas, Arizona where guns a welcome it was great and crime still is not as bad as LA. Go figure. Happy Shooting !!!!
  • Options
    ryan_marineryan_marine Member Posts: 635
    edited November -1
    Count me in Chris. That was a great time we had down there. Also let me know when you want to go shoot up some golfballs with .22s.

Ray

More Powder, More Lead, More Dead
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Cool, I was at Inland Fish&Game shooting a few weekends ago when I was out there. I was really surprised to see the relaxed atmosphere, it was almost like being at a range in Phoenix except they don't allow rapid fire or some of the toys I would like to have brought[:D] They really spruced the place up since I was a kid. I grew up a little north of 5th St. down at Victoria St. a little ways from that range.

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I shot my first round of sporting clays at Inland and also shot my first round of trap over at Redlands. Ask Ray_Marine about that, he kinda got whooped.[:D] It was all for fun though.

Ever heard of a bulldog mouth overiding a pomeranian butt?[}:)][:D]

I know someone who does![;)]

• Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Small world.I live only a couple of miles from Inland.Born and raised in this area.It is a nice place, but haven't shot there in many years-got way too crowded!Still places in the mountains that are open.When I was a teenager my boss at the gunshop I worked at owned and ran Inland for awhile. My buddies and I would keep the place cleaned up, and dragged those big boulders around to line the walkways-wasn't near as fancy then. This was the mid 60's, and you could hunt with shotguns in the surrounding wash.

Joey- Don't know what years you were here, but I'm sure I'm much older. You probably went to Cypress Elem,then San G. I went to Pacific since San G wasn't built yet.I worked at Genes Trading Post till 1970.I left when the original Gene sold the business.I live near Palm and Pacific.Hope you never had Terry at Accurate GunWorks mess up any of your guns8D. Bob

Gun control is a steady hand
  • Options
    cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So..............who want s to go break some birds?

sounds like fun havent busted a bird for quite awhile now ...about three years or so....damn sure would be fun to wack some coyotes with you also.
    unfortunately way to many miles from here to there.
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    quote:Joey- Don't know what years you were here, but I'm sure I'm much older. You probably went to Cypress Elem,then San G. I went to Pacific since San G wasn't built yet.I worked at Genes Trading Post till 1970.I left when the original Gene sold the business.I live near Palm and Pacific.Hope you never had Terry at Accurate GunWorks mess up any of your guns[]. Bob

Actually I got sent to Roosevelt Elementary, back in the early 80's they were experimenting with "Desegregation & Integration" which meant bussing white kids to schools in the ghetto so they could get beat up regularly.[;)] I was supposed to go to San G but my folks had had enough of the CA school system at that point and sent me to Calvary Chapel Redlands HS instead. It was a small school, but it beat dealing with all the politics going around at the time.

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN