In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Vehicle mantinace

MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
edited June 2005 in General Discussion
How many people do there own vehicle mantinace. Its a lot cheaper than taking your vehicle to a shop. And you know how you did it, so if it breaks again you know why. Me i change all my fluids myself. but if it ever came to anything else it would be difficult. Now a days the computer systems can be horrid, But if you have a trouble code reader its really not that bad.

If it Flies it Dies
All my guns are AMERICAN MADE
19 year old with a bad attitude

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    What's a computer? Points and condenser work just fine.

wings2.gif
    Stolen from, and with thanks, to Kiwibird
  • Options
    rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What did I do with my red pen??

jumpmaster.bmp
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Why did my "Check Engine" light come on yesterday[?]

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,381 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    I have never in my life paid anyone to work on any vehicle of mine, except for tire work or front end alignments or engine machining jobs like boring, crank grinding, etc.

I honestly was about 13 years old when I figured out that some people actually paid someone else to change their oil.

Aberdeen.gif
    81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad
    U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!
  • Options
    EZRyderEZRyder Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    depends on the vehilce and how busy I am. If it's one of our antiques, I'm more apt to do it myself. If it's one of the new vehicles its more likely to go in the shop.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,009 ******
    edited November -1
    What do you do with your old motor oil and other fluids? In Texas, it is a third degree felony to allow used motor oil to contact the ground.

FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net
  • Options
    hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do it myself most of the time. I grew up working in my dads service station, so i see no reason to pay someone else to do it for me when i can do it myself. The only exception is when there is snow and ice packed under the car, thens its worth spending the extra cash to get it done.

"Life is not a journey to the grave wtih the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body,

But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming

-WOW- WHAT A RIDE!!!!!"
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    What do you do with your old motor oil and other fluids? In Texas, it is a third degree felony to allow used motor oil to contact the ground.

FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net

I don't know about the other places but here in WA you can drop all your used motor oil off at the autoparts stores free of charge. They have big containers for the stuff.
    I just fill up 5 gallon buckets, then dump them at the store.

ALL AMERICAN INFIDEL
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,009 ******
    edited November -1
    That's what I was getting at. I drain a gallon and a half of oil, and now I have to haul it to an oil change place, 18 miles away, for disposal. That is after I just spent $18-20 for oil and filter, crawled under my truck, burned my fingers, and got hot oil down both arms.

I haul my used oil to the oil change place in the engine, and let them take it out. I get the oil of my choice, filter of my choice, greased fittings, topped off washer fluid, carpet vacuumed, tire pressure checked, other fluids checked and topped off. Costs about $20-35 depending on whether there is a sale.

• Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    quote:That is after I just spent $18-20 for oil and filter, crawled under my truck, burned my fingers, and got hot oil down both arms.
    thats what makes it fun[:D]

Actually i don't do as much to my vehicles as I used to. I can make more money in an hour in my line of work (which is easier then changing oil by the way) and be able to give the auto repairman some business and still have enough left over for lunch while I am waiting.

ALL AMERICAN INFIDEL
  • Options
    jnmiller75jnmiller75 Member Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only time I have ever paid someone else to change my oil was once when I was on the road, and it needed changed. As I was leaving, I stopped to check and make sure that they had filled it with oil, and that the drain plug was tight. Anyways, the drain plug was very loose. I think if I hadn't stopped to check, it would have come out down the road somewhere. It wasn't even finger tight.

I have heard way to many horror stories about places that forgot to fill it back with oil, only let it drain for a couple seconds, etc., that I will not go back to a place like that ever again.

Most of the auto parts stores take used oil for free, and there are lots of people with used oil heaters in their shops that would be glad to take it from you.
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    I do ALL my own work, having been in the business for years I got to fix a lot of stuff that shops botched (even oil changes). Here in AZ we don't have many good mechanics

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif
  • Options
    slingerslinger Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't ever trust a gun to a clutz with burned fingers and oil down his arms. My Goodness, sometimes I even feed myself with no mishaps and actually accomplish the washing of the dishes.
    I deliver my used oil (a gallon and a half or 6 quarts, whichever sounds worse)6 blocks away to the County maintenance shed for their waste oil heater. They thank me.
    Fat chance some numbnutz would get their hands on my Studebakers or modern iron.
    But if some law were passed that forbade me from doing my own work, I'd immediately throw in with the anti-gun crowd 'cuz that freedom would be the next to be lost.
    Some people's thought processes, huh?
    Did someone spill sarcasm on part of this post?

Art
  • Options
    rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Don't ever trust a gun to a clutz with burned fingers and oil down his arms.

Man, that's funny!!![:D][:D] Waiting on Nunn's retort..... lol

jumpmaster.bmp
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    I use all of my old oil on my hunting cabin. TIP: If your check engine light comes on, they will read the code for you at most auto part chains.
  • Options
    shooter4shooter4 Member Posts: 4,457
    edited November -1
    Fluid changes, tire rotations, lubes, plugs, most of the regular stuff including the addition of an STS Turbo Charger on my 04 Hemi Ram are by me and with the help of my buds sometimes.

I don't do gear changes or transmissions.

Kingjoey, my 04, QC, 4X4 Ram 1500, Hemi made 420 RWHP at 7.3lbs of boost on the dynojet. I run 8.5lbs on the street. But this lead sled weights 5900lbs with driver.
  • Options
    65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn

Texas is oil country; say it is not so.[:D]
    You can fill a garbage can full of cutt grass, paper or whatever, and pour the oil on top of it. With any luck, and the can dont leak >>>>>> problem solved.[:D]

" Those who give up a little freedom for temporary security, deserve neither freedom nor security "
    - Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most work I can do myself. Major stuff I have a mechanic do.

Fluids: Radiator, Oil and filter (only mobil filters and 5W30 full syn is used), top off tranny fluids, and if necessary change diff fluid.

Just got done installing a cold air intake on a mustang GT.

Previously on the mustang: >>>>>> Installed Iridium premium plugs which I gaped myself. I also installed Ford racing low resistance spark plug wires. I still have to get a microtuner fo the mustang.[8D]

Lets not forget the battery.[:D]

" Those who give up a little freedom for temporary security, deserve neither freedom nor security "
    - Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I save all my used oil. One day we will be out of oil and no place to go fight for it. Besides, Bush is out after the next election so then what will we do? Besides, sometimes I use the old oil to lubricate my tinfoil hat. Don

I respect the truth too much to bring it out on every occasion.

The biggest regret of my life is the number of temptations I've resisted successfully.
  • Options
    dolfandolfan Member Posts: 4,159
    edited November -1
    My truck and SUV are fairly new, so they don't require much service. I do my own service on them, even brake jobs.

My boat has twin I/O Chevy 350's with 260 hrs. on them. I do a lot of my own work on my boat as well. I do it not because I enjoy twisting wrenches, but to save some $$$$.
  • Options
    cat-mechaniccat-mechanic Member Posts: 433 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kingjoey
    Here in AZ we don't have many good mechanics

I think I can call myself one of the good ones.[:D]

I do all my own work as well.

Nothing runs like a Deere, With a CAT on its *
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cat-mechanic

Great, now only if Caterpillar made cars[:p]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif
  • Options
    cat-mechaniccat-mechanic Member Posts: 433 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cat-mechanic

Great, now only if Caterpillar made cars[:p]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

Yeah, Then I would really get some overtime.

• Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    I'm not too big on doing the routine maintainence myself.

Sometimes in my Yellow Hummer I fluff up the NVA black kevlar poopy pillows on the black leather "giddee-up" back seats. As director of the Jr. High School production "PIPPIN" my vehicle is often called on to take quite a load!

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oil? add as needed[:D]

kidding- My 90 GMC is easy to work on, The wifes Nis. Maxima no-touchy.
    a Car should have one Coil, not 6 or 12 of them. [:D]

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Soquel.gif
  • Options
    RustyBonesRustyBones Member Posts: 4,956
    edited November -1
    i do maintenance every 2 weeks. pay someone to change the oil, top off fluids, grease etc etc. cost about 5$ more than if I did it myself.
  • Options
    redrebelredrebel Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BOBBYWINS

BW

Most likely its an O2 sensor. As was already said though most autoparts stores will read the code for free. or you can just try disconnecting your battery for about 15 minutes to restet the code.

dsarms_e0.gif

It is better to be prepared, than to be suprised.

I'm pro choice: I choose to hunt, trap, eat meat, and wear fur.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by redrebel
    quote:Originally posted by BOBBYWINS

BW

Most likely its an O2 sensor. As was already said though most autoparts stores will read the code for free. or you can just try disconnecting your battery for about 15 minutes to restet the code.

Two things here:

First, 90% of the time that you get an O2 sensor code, the O2 sensor is not the problem. Any failure or problem that puts the fuel mixture out of spec will trip a O2 sensor too lean/rich code.

Second, the disconnecting the battery thing only works on most pre-'95 cars with OBDI, most OBDII cars require the handset to reset the MIL

Just some info to save you time and money[;)]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif