In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Infiniti Cars

sundownersundowner Member Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2003 in General Discussion
Anyone ever own one? Positive/negative experiences? Yeah, I know, it's not MADE IN THE USA.

Comments

• Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Higher quality and more advanced engineering than Lexus, but less associated status and horrendous resale value. I had one of the first Q45's, and it exceeded every expectation...except at trade-in time.

Resident Wittgensteinian
  • Options
    ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Drove "MADE in America" for 25 years. Got tired of making appointments for repairs and hearing, "Hey, it's under warranty" and "Well, they all do that. Ask anyone who owns one." Bought a '96 Nissan 200 SX and loved it. Now drive a G20. No problems. All the gingerbread of a much more expensive ride at a reasonable price. No experience with re-sale per DWS's comment.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,241 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have a 2000 I-30. We were comparing it to the Passat, which we liked a lot. We wondered, Why does the Passat have a poor warranty, only 24,000 miles and 2 years, when the Infiniti has one of the best warranties, 48 months and 60,000 miles. Well, the manufacturer knows his own car.
    This has been a great car, 84,000 miles on it. A great ride, very well made, powerful and quiet. There is an independent research institute that has named the Infiniti V-6 as one of the ten best motors ever made.
    The only problem we have had is the front brakes have gone out 3 times. That is, we have had to have the front rotors turned 3 times. Infiniti refused to do it under warranty, they said it happened due to abusive driving. Well, the fiancee has done most of the driving and she did say she was saved by the ABS brakes 3 times, so it is possible that it was her fault. I think we got a set of bad rotors, but even with that problem we would still buy another one in a minute.
  • Options
    sundownersundowner Member Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input. The reason I ask is that I have the opportunity to buy any model Nissan or Infiniti at dealer cost, and still take advantage of any incentives Nissan/Infiniti is offering. I'm really leaning towards the Infiniti G35 Coupe. [:D]
  • Options
    greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    Sundowner

I've owned 2 Q45's. One of the 1st ones, 1990 that I should never have sold. It was super!

Now I've got a 1997 Q45. Very plush, good mileage, great on the hwy and virtually trouble free!

Friend just bought one of the new M45's I think they're called...worth every penny. No complaints and been an infiniti owner since 1990.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    My brother in law (and I'm going to say nice things here...the Clinton/Gore loving, anti-gun, leftist!) owns an Q-45 and it has been trouble free for the two years he's had it. It seems to have a very nice ride and is very comfortable. Performance wise it has plenty of power, handles well enough and is very quick, although even with an extra 40+ hp it is hardly a match for my BMW 540i- 6 speed. I think if you purchased an Infiniti you'll be pleased. The prices seem quite reasonable compared to other brands I've seen.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    My wife drives a 97 Infiniti J30t and I have to admit that it has been one hell of a good car. For a smallish car it has a wonderful ride, plenty of power, and handles like it was on rails (has to the way SHE drives). Can't say enough good things about the dealership.

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
  • Options
    BerettafanBerettafan Member Posts: 592 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Aunt has one, and the only problem that she has had with it is getting my Uncle out of the driver's seat!!!! :)
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,241 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To clarify our problem with brakes on the I-30 at 16,000 miles we noticed a little shimmy in the front when you hit the brakes. This only happened at high speeds on the interstate. It got worse with time. We had to take it in at 21,000 miles and get the front rotors turned. The dealer charged $125 for it, said warranty didn't cover it, said it was caused by abusive driving. Well the fiancee does most of the driving, she is in sales. God knows how she drives. This has happened twice more, in 84,000 miles. The last time we took it to an independent shop and he said that it could well be caused by putting on the brakes too hard. I asked about putting on new rotors but he said, no, the old ones could still be turned, no problem. I still think we had factory defective rotors, but who knows. Anyway, we were on another thread talking about two Jeep Cherokees that had transmissions blow, 4 wheel drives go out at less mileage than we have, really it hasnt been a big problem with the Infiniti.
    The group that named the Infiniti V6 the best V6 ever made is Ward's Auto Weekly.
  • Options
    pikeal1pikeal1 Member Posts: 2,707
    edited November -1
    sundowner your leaning in the right direction. That is one nice ride. Saw one on the road a few days ago and it is very close to the new Nissan 300Z. I used to drive a Nissan Maxima and was told that it was one of the best engines around. Lots of power and never a problem with it. If I am not mistaken it is basically the same engine thats in the Infinity.

"The only way American citizens can adequately be protected from terror and violence is when" those in authority protect us from those who would harm us, instead of protecting us from ourselves.
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Used to work on them occasionally. Classic Nissan engineering, easy to fix and well designed. Beats any Toyota or Honda offerings out there.