In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ancestry

GatoGordoGatoGordo Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2009 in General Discussion
Who is your most famous (infamous) ancester that you know about?

Comments

• Options
    VinhlongVet71VinhlongVet71 Member Posts: 4,605
    edited November -1
    You want to know about our ancestors? My friend, I suggest first you tell us about YOUR ancestors first,,, and get a giveaway posted
    as soon as possible. Your gonna need a tinfoil hat too[:D]

I apologize,,, I said us. My comments are mine alone. I will take responsibility for what I say,,,, even if it is stupid[B)]
  • Options
    RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm gonna send that to my wifes email she's on there now[}:)]
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My great grandfather and great great grandfather have there names written on the stain glass windows of Freedom Lutheran Church.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I don't know for sure...I've got a couple who were high ranking officers in the Confederate Army. My first ancestor here was Sir Richard Cox in the early 1600's. He was a Royal Knight.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I apologize for being a smart *. My American Indian heritage is
    hard to trace.
  • Options
    zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Capt. Myles Standish of the Mayflower.

Lance
  • Options
    GatoGordoGatoGordo Member Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well Vinh...

I'm sorry if I raised your paranoia or if I violated some inner circle rules. My last name is Duncan, a good Scots name and I've been told we date back to the clans of early Scotland. Now use this as you may to confiscate my firearms or deprive me of rights given by God or Samuel Colt or whatever you're scared of. As you're peeking out the shades don't forget the black helicopters.
  • Options
    scrumpyjackscrumpyjack Member Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rockatansky
    Neanderthal.jpg

That's my aunt....what's up cuz?
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Sir Francis Drake
  • Options
    HeavyBarrelHeavyBarrel Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a direct decedent of Bonnie Parker.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by scrumpyjack
    Neanderthal.jpg

That's my aunt....what's up cuz?

I can never tell your aunt from my uncle in family pics...
  • Options
    Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The inventor of Coca Cola, John S. Pemberton. John C. Pemberton who surrendered the fort at Vicksburg to Gen. Grant.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ahhhhhhhhh,,,, Grasshopper, you have let your keyboard work faster
    than your brain. I am not paronoid, If I were I would not be here. As far as 'inner circle rules' you just gotta figure that out yourself. Good luck chump[:D]quote:Originally posted by GatoGordo
    Well Vinh...

I'm sorry if I raised your paranoia or if I violated some inner circle rules. My last name is Duncan, a good Scots name and I've been told we date back to the clans of early Scotland. Now use this as you may to confiscate my firearms or deprive me of rights given by God or Samuel Colt or whatever you're scared of. As you're peeking out the shades don't forget the black helicopters.
  • Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    my dad...he was in the singing sargents and a group called the rip chords in the 50's and was on his way to the top when they appeared in a beach movie with connie stevens called "drag strip riot" he made an albumn of his own in the 70's called "it's real" but it didn't sell well ( im might even have a copy of it somewhere around here...lol and he is (or was) the chairman of the republican party in skagit county. He is pretty much my hero!
  • Options
    gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    John Wise, 19Th Century aeronuat balloonist.
  • Options
    RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Grandmas great uncle General Charles Garrason Harker ,killed in Civil War in battle of Kennasaw mountain. Had a Fort named after him in Kansas ( Fort Harker )My sons wife is releated to Daniel Boone.My greatgrandmother was a cook at Buckingham Palace and lost that job when she was to have a child out of wedlock ( my grandma ) from a unknown father,uuuuuuuummmmmm maybe royalty ?
  • Options
    fullautogunnerfullautogunner Member Posts: 681 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I long line of nobodies from what I know. I am proud of my name. mostly european mutt.
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    as far as famous the only one I know of is on my mothers side my great uncle was Pretty Boy Floyd.Or I guess should say 1/2 uncle,him and my Grandfather were 1/2 brothers,,Grandfather even done a little time for his help in a bank robbery they did together
  • Options
    zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sharpshooter039
    as far as famous the only one I know of is on my mothers side my great uncle was Pretty Boy Floyd.Or I guess should say 1/2 uncle,him and my Grandfather were 1/2 brothers,,Grandfather even done a little time for his help in a bank robbery they did together

My grandpa used to hide out Pretty Boy Floyd in a cabin in the river bottoms.

Lance
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    I come from a long line of nobodies, too.

Seriously.

My family didn't even have a name until we landed at Ellis Island and they told us we had to have one.

So we beat up this drunk Russian and stole his.

At least we thought we stole his name.

Until we were asked how to spell Pissoff.

Come to think of it, he was probably Irish.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Colonel Plink

Seriously.

My family didn't even have a name until we landed at Ellis Island and they told us we had to have one.

papa!? [:0]
  • Options
    one2hutnone2hutn Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm the only famous person to ever come out of my family. Seriously though. Mutt by birth and adopted by a Norwegian, so if that counts may be some crazy * Viking back when. Oh wait, actually, my step fathers father was presented 2 medals from the king of Norway for ramming and sinking 2 seperate German subs-he was a ship captain. Yeah, that's pretty cool I think. My step dad had some brass too.
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Colonel Plink

Seriously.

papa!? [:0]

That's funny.
  • Options
    one2hutnone2hutn Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My grandfather was a Norwegian ship captain. Recieved on 2 seperate occassions for ramming and sinking German subs.
  • Options
    mauser54mauser54 Member Posts: 3,733
    edited November -1
    My multiple great grandfather came to the united states on the mayflower. And my great uncle was Cecil B. Demill, And past president of the united states John Adams was one of my Great great uncles, and great great grandfather was one of the ones that led the charge at Gettysburg against the yankees. Last, I am the 32 great grandson of King John of England. Found all this out through my sister who is a Mormon, and has done all of our geneology. But me, I'm a nobody, and life goes on.[;)] quote:"A free people ought...to be armed..." George Washington, 1790
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    I come from a long line of not too rich but noble Prussians who were army officers. No one stands out as a major figure, but they have been in historic battles and wars from the 30 years war onwards through the wars of Frederick the Great, Napoleon, The German Wars of Unification, and the World Wars.
  • Options
    texshootertexshooter Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My cousin and I have worked on the family background off and on for the last several years.

Never found anyone that was really famous (some were hanging out of trees [:(], instead of on the family tree.

Great aunt says we are kin to John Wesley Hardin[B)].

Mine must of been on the mid-night Mayflower.

Oh well ,we will keep digging...
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Mary, Queen of Scots.

I am a Rightful Heir to the Throne of England.

Doug
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    My grandfather came here from Scotland with my great grandfather when he was 6 years old, just good imigrents tired of the B S in Ireland and Scotland about religion and land. Grandpap always said "if it wern't for wiskey, the Irish would rule the world". Grandpap married my grandmother, her maiden name was Landis, her uncle was Judge Kenasaw Mountain Landis the first commissioner of baseball, appointed after the Black Sox scandle because he was considered incorruptable.
    W.D.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    a "Robber Baron of the Arizona Territories"...otherwise, it's just a succession of Tavernkeepers, Ferrymen, and Travelling Salesmen, etc.

...and a wee bit o'the Irish, waay back there: John Dugan...
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Doug Wilson,
    I knew we were kindred spirits, a man with blood from the ol' sod. We should get together and have a wee drap. You can cross the Columbia without a green card.[:D][:D] As you know, the crown of England should, by rights, be in Scotland. Tis a rare man that knows the truth.[:D][:D][;)]
    W.D.
  • Options
    catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    Sir Winston Churchill. He's a distant cousin through my paternal grandmother. I'm also related to Walt Disney through the same line.
  • Options
    minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GatoGordo
    Well Vinh...

Well. Hey cuz. All I can say is be careful who you invite home for dinner. In tracing your ancestry you may find Royalty,a fat guy that rode with Robert Bruce at Bannockburn,Jacobites who were with Doug Wilson's family supporting Bonnie Prince Charlie,some that walked the Trail of Tears and became cattle thieves,lawmen,founded towns out Oklahoma way,farmers,ridgerunners,moonshiners,and drug dealers in Wv,a shirttail kin stripper that hooked up with Earl Long,and at least one paranoid old fart in Fl.

There are Duncans and 'duncans' ya know. Some of em'll visit and eat ya out of house and home,plus steal your dog before they leave searching for another handout,and some that steal big! (one was involved with Enron.)
    Then there are Robertsons!!!

[:D]

Allen
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    Doug Wilson,
    I knew we were kindred spirits, a man with blood from the ol' sod. We should get together and have a wee drap. You can cross the Columbia without a green card.[:D][:D] As you know, the crown of England should, by rights, be in Scotland. Tis a rare man that knows the truth.[:D][:D][;)]
    W.D.

Let's do it.

Where the hell is Carson ??

Doug
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Chief Dan George
    chiefdan.gif

Anf for those who know anything about the history of Ogden Utah I am related to Lorin Farr.
  • Options
    bigbill0910bigbill0910 Member Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first cousin played center at LSU in 1962.Chinese Bandits
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,008 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:My great grandfather and great great grandfather have there names written on the stain glass windows of Freedom Lutheran Church.

Better there than on the wall of the restroom at the Greyhound bus station.
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HeavyBarrel
    I am a direct decedent of Bonnie Parker.

I wasn't aware she had any children.
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think a lotta folks here are related to the editor of Mad magazine.
    You know, 'ol whatsisname.
    [:D]barto[:D]