In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

a trip to the dentist

cavman 69cavman 69 Member Posts: 654 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in General Discussion
my son and i went to the dentist yesterday for a cleaning. we were there about an hour and a half. cha-ching, cha-ching, that will be $200. this is a good paying job. what are you paying?

Comments

• Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    how did you get off that cheap ???
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With or without xrays ?
  • Options
    Blade SlingerBlade Slinger Member Posts: 5,891
    edited November -1
    Dentists should have guns, they find a way to rob you without them, but what choice do we have? We pay $85.00 for cleaning and it goes up every year, on what grounds? My wife has partial plates and a few of her own teeth, yep 85.00!
  • Options
    hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last thursday had all my top teeth pulled,$118 per tooth.Left two hours later,new denture,antibiotics,pain killers,swollen face and $4250.00 poorer.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...and your alternative to a qualified trained dentist is...infected gums, rotten teeth, no teeth or dentures, infection, death. So, I guess we are paying him for the years he took to get trained and develop his skills. I have no problem with that. A craftsman is worth his fee. [:)]
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Over 2K for a root canal and a crown on it last week. Probably all together 2 hours work.
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andrewsw16
    ...and your alternative to a qualified trained dentist is...infected gums, rotten teeth, no teeth or dentures, infection, death. So, I guess we are paying him for the years he took to get trained and develop his skills. I have no problem with that. A craftsman is worth his fee. [:)]

Yeah, well, the last time I saw a dentist was 1988. Haven't had a problem since then, and I can clean my own dang teeth thank you.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******
    edited November -1
    Knowing what a dentist can deal with, I say they frequently earn their pay.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want to have some fun with them, while you sitting in the waiting room, chew on some tootsee rolls. [;)][:D]
  • Options
    dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just had a tooth knocked out of my mouth and it cost me 1585 dollars with insurance.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do yourself a favor and get them all pulled now. I will never have another cavity, abscess, sore tooth and I can chew ice or eat anything cold with any discomfort again. Teeth are over rated.[;)][:D][:D]
  • Options
    nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My insurance covers 2 cleanings / 1 X-Ray per year. I go twice per year. Last time they had to replace a filling, I also had some kind of oral cancer screening done, since I used to dip, that was $50 insurance did not cover that.

The entire visit was about $110, which I paid using my flexible health care spending account, so that $110, i did not pay income taxes on [:)]
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jltrent
    Over 2K for a root canal and a crown on it last week. Probably all together 2 hours work.

So that would be 4 years for the undergrad, then 4 years for dental school, then if the man or woman is an oral surgeon it's 3 to 6 additional years on top of all of that.

The guy who digs a ditch in your yard does 2 hours of work for you. The guy who did your root canal did 8 to 10 years of work for you.
  • Options
    bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    $1200 for root canal, another $900 for the fitted crown. Should have paid $65 to get it yanked and went to a good lunch on the way to the gun store to buy $1500 worth of something made from wood and steel. Still would have $500 for a bulk ammo purchase.
    Got plenty of teeth to spare and don't smile anyway. Not sure why I did it, but I am blaming it on the well formed dental assistant that liked to reach over, instead of walking around. Her and the 8 shots the dentists gave me had me befuddled to the point of bad judgment. Shoot, they could have talked me into buying a Ford, I was so loopy.
  • Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Somewhat sore subject with us right now, just took one of our daughters for routine cleaning and was told she needed three crowns which are not covered by our insurance to the tune of 3200.00.
    To top it off we were also given a referral to a orthodontist for braces also not covered by our insurance.
  • Options
    Oso2142Oso2142 Member Posts: 2,940
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigdaddyjunior
    $1200 for root canal, another $900 for the fitted crown. Should have paid $65 to get it yanked and went to a good lunch on the way to the gun store to buy $1500 worth of something made from wood and steel. Still would have $500 for a bulk ammo purchase.
    Got plenty of teeth to spare and don't smile anyway. Not sure why I did it, but I am blaming it on the well formed dental assistant that liked to reach over, instead of walking around. Her and the 8 shots the dentists gave me had me befuddled to the point of bad judgment. Shoot, they could have talked me into buying a Ford, I was so loopy.

Don't you mean Chevy? [:D]
  • Options
    Blade SlingerBlade Slinger Member Posts: 5,891
    edited November -1
    Agree somewhat, but the other services they might offer and goods are over priced. I have a ton of experence over the years and am sure they are hogging money because they are the only game in town.

quote:Originally posted by andrewsw16
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You got off cheap.
    The Hospice nurse (RN) who visits my mom 4-5 times a week charges $185 for a 15 minute visit.
    That's $740 per hour for the mathematically challenged.
    I truly appreciate their work but MY GOD!!
    [:(]barto[:(]
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,381 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by River Rat
    Yeah, well, the last time I saw a dentist was 1988. Haven't had a problem since then, and I can clean my own dang teeth thank you.

Yep, except 1972 for me.