In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anyone living in the Hampton VA/Langley USAF Base?

jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
edited August 2010 in General Discussion
What are they calling for on this hurricane Earl? I have a son and DIL living right near the gates (10 minutes or less from main gate) of Langley USAF base where he is stationed. His Townhouse complex parking lot flooded about 10 inches in the last heavy rains so his wife, my DIL, called me today for advice on what to do. I told them to put all they could upstairs but have not been to his place to see for myself as to how low the surrending land actually is. My question is how far are they calling for major flooding and the winds from Earl? I was stationed at Norfolk long enough to dig my contract out and get back to FL training station ASAP so I had no time to explore much especially the Hampton area. Any advice from anyone in that area or anyone who has been stationed at Langley would be a big help as to how bad it can get as to flooding at Langley?

Comments

• Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    I know Norfolk Naval Base is on alert and has 35 ships fueled up and ready to go out to sea if the hurricane hits. During Hurricane Isabel, Langley sent their planes to Arizona. I'm sure they're all on alert and ready to go.
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    I was in the USN and knew they were ready to get anything thet could move under own power out to sea from Norfolk. SOP as to that. Manny do not realize that any ship or boat in the fleet does 100% better in a hurricane out to sea rather than in port if hurricane is hitting. My son is in USAF intel so he does not move unless it is for reasons I cannot say nor can he. However they told him that when he goes on duty tonight they will know more as to if they (he and DIL) have to evacuate. I did find out they live in a cat. 3 flood plane so if it wobbles a bit more west, evacuate for sure.