In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Beef Prices

grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
edited June 2012 in General Discussion
I normally Buy Pork or Chicken. But for some reason today I wanted Beef.

Prices are crazy. Way higher than I remember.

Lucky they had some Tri Tip on sale, so thats whats for Dinner.

Back to Pork tommorrow.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    From my last 3 trips to the grocery store (within about 3 weeks):

Ground beef chuck

1. $2.85 per pound
    2. $3.15 per pound
    3. $3.19 per pound (yesterday)

$.34 per pound increase in about 3 weeks

And there's no inflation.
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Divert more corn to ethanol, watch it go!
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Beef doesnt taste like beef here, neither does the butter taste like butter..

Good thing I dont care for beef except on rare occasions...as for butter...wish I could get decent tasting butter here...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just know I will be picking up my Normal Pork Shoulder Steaks. For what I paid for the tri Tip just for tonight I can Buy 4 Nights worth of Pork.

And for some reason I can No longer Digest Beef. It stays with me for a while. Pork and chicken go right thru me.

Think I will look for some Salmon also. That's good on the grill too.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Try some lamb....good meat, tasty...

Or even goat...bit different but great...

Get some cornish hens...they are great with stuffing...As for fish?...ohhh man, round here that is my fave...classic hates it though, he loves "beef" or the crap they call beef here...

I dont care what kind of fish it is, it swims?...I will usually eat it...LOL
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The wife and I had tri-tip for supper last night and then I cooked what was left of it up in my scrambled eggs for breakfast. Mmmmm, good vittles!
  • Options
    oldrideroldrider Member Posts: 4,934 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Beef- it's what's for dinner!"
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    br go buy you some 40% whipping cream, pour it in a bowl, and hand blend it, add salt if you wish, first it will turn to whipped cream, keep going and you will make great tasting butter {wal-mart 3.75 quart}
  • Options
    edited November -1
    actually 1911...it wont...not here...

There is something different about the taste...could be what they are fed, but when it comes to beef, including milk/butter, it just doesnt taste like it should...

Not sure what canadians do but oh man that is good beef/butter...
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BlackRoses
    Try some lamb....good meat, tasty...

Or even goat...bit different but great...

Get some cornish hens...they are great with stuffing...As for fish?...ohhh man, round here that is my fave...classic hates it though, he loves "beef" or the crap they call beef here...

I dont care what kind of fish it is, it swims?...I will usually eat it...LOL
    I can't eat store bought beef either. It is horrible. That's why I raise my own. You want good beef, find a local farmer. I don't mind store bought lamb, in fact that is what I had for dinner tonight.[^]
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    ,,,,,just wait !!!,,,,Light weight calves (3-4 wt.) bringing $2.05 last week at OKC Stockyards,,,,,[;)]

Jeeze!!! Last 4 weight I sold brought $1.44 and I thought that was good.
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sold some last week around 550 lbs. for $1.70 a pound
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Beef prices are high because pork and chicken suck. They're for making dog food and bologna.

We eat beef 4 to 5 times per week, all local stuff and all good quality. But we miss the grass-fed, home-finished beef from our ranch days. That's what beef is supposed to taste like.
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just remember last year drought and they had to sell most of the cows off because they couldn't afford to feed them. Hello High Prices
  • Options
    edited November -1
    May need to keep an eye out for any that might be for sale. Need to do a little fence work but one or 2 could eat good here for a while.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    May need to keep an eye out for any that might be for sale. Need to do a little fence work but one or 2 could eat good here for a while.

How many acres?

5 plus add in grain from time to time.
  • Options
    gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All sold out of our beef for the year at $4.95 per pound finished weight.
  • Options
    jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    And you can bet beef will be a t least 50% if not 100% higher in 12 months or so. We are already in a drought in West KY which a lot of corn and beans are raised in. Drought spreading as well. Around here cattle rustling is coming back with a vengence. Steal them here in KY and head to a neighbor state to sale. My grand daughter's other grand father raises calves on bottle for her each year to go in her college fund. He was telling me powdered milk has tripled in price as well. He said that if calves get any higher he will quit the raising of them. He paid $400 for the last new born.

So look for it to get a lot worse before it gets better as to beef price, IF it gets better!