In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Have you ever been ashamed of your dog?

FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
We've had a little chihuahua for a couple of years (named Gnat). Weighs about 4 lbs. She always chases the squirrels in our backyard, but has never even come close to catching up with one. Anyhow, today was her day. I was watching her play when all of a sudden she cornered one up against the shed. Both animals were so surprised that they just stood there for a second. Then the suirrel jumped on my dog and absolutely whipped the tar out of her. Took me a second to beleive what I was seeing. Then I went and chased the squirrel off with a broom. No real damage, but all day my dog has been yelping and cowering at even the slightest flinch around her. Doubt she'll be chasing the squirrels again.

Comments

• H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dog chases squirrel all the time. Last time he got one all you could see was the tail sticking out of his mouth!
    bear-10.jpg

10-X.jpg
    "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
  • GeoMan42GeoMan42 Member Posts: 209 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only once, when I caught him trying to screw the cat. That meanie! He knew he was in trouble and gave me the old "Well, what was I supposed to do, Look!".

George,
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Dont be ashamed of your dog, I was Hunting one time with a friend up in Kentucky, He was setting under one tree and I under another, when I heard him shoot BAAANNNNG! I heard a little rustle of leaves and all of a sudden a big red Squirrel landed between my legs, Squirrel jumped up and proceeded to clamp his teeth into my inner thigh, a bit too close to you know what, let me tell ya, once ya get a hold of a live squirrel , they are the hardest ,darndest critter to let go of. took me around 5 minutes to get him off me. All the time my buddy rolling in the grass laughing his butt off,

So your dog just had a bit of trouble letting the squirrel go.[:D][:D]

flageagle.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never [:D]

gun1.gif
    "If you aim at nothing,
    you will be sure to hit it"
    hsas371x48.gif
    Santa_Cruz.gif
    [img][/img]
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, but I think he probaly has been ashamed of me a couple times.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whenever I feel she needs it I just point my finger at her and say "BANG!" Here is my dead dog.

picture.JPG

Old? First you forget names; then you forget faces; then you forget to pull your zipper up; then you forget to pull your zipper down.
    standard.jpg
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    I was never ashamed of my pup until I met Wundudnee's big pup. Damn his dog is TALENTED!! Hey Scott, got those 10MM's yet? Or should I say have they THAWED out yet?[:D]

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    On a cross county trip, while breaking in Athens GA, I was walking my friend's dog for a few blocks. A real chick magnet.

We stop in front of a cafe with outside tables, and the dog squats down and drips out a diarrhea mess. Someone had feds it some kind of meats scraps somewhere before we could stop them, and it sure didn't agree with the dog.

Now, a non-chick-magnet[:o)]
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    DBV: I really hope you're not fishing for sympathy here or something.

Because the first time I read that story, I honestly laughed myself hoarse.

A little tiny yap-dog constantly picks fights with the squirrels, until one day it meets a squirrel that knows better which proceeds to whip the living crap out of him.

Oh man...priceless. I'd pay money to see a video. [:D]

army_slblu.jpgpv2.gifInsignia_in.jpgairborne%20wings-2.jpgtogcrest.gif
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by interstatepawnllc
    I was never ashamed of my pup until I met Wundudnee's big pup. Damn his dog is TALENTED!! Hey Scott, got those 10MM's yet? Or should I say have they THAWED out yet?[:D]

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.

I bought a couple of boxes, but I'm a wimp. Come on over the first warm day you can and we'll see if that thing is all it's supposed to be.[:D]

Whenever I see a cow eat grass, I am reminded that "This too shall pass."............ Baxter Black
    standard.jpg
  • WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only when she lets my anti-gun hating friend pet her...

If force ain't work'n... Your not use'n nough of it.
    I know the spelling is bad but guess what I DON'T CARE
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Never been ashamed of my Golden Retriever.
    She's been the best companion ever. [^]

Don't do anything that I've allready done - That'd be just plain STOOOOOOPID.
  • FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bullzeye
    DBV: I really hope you're not fishing for sympathy here or something.

Because the first time I read that story, I honestly laughed myself hoarse.

A little tiny yap-dog constantly picks fights with the squirrels, until one day it meets a squirrel that knows better which proceeds to whip the living crap out of him.

Oh man...priceless. I'd pay money to see a video. [:D]

Not looking for sympathy for my little rat-dog. If you knew my dog you'd probably laugh even harder. It was probably the funniest thing I've seen in a long long time. Priceless.
    edited November -1
    You know what, DBV? You're alright. [:D]

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe in the golden rule. Do unto others.

If you passed gas your dog wouldn't be embarrassed in the least. He'd just lick your face and still love you. And look at the size of his nose, if anybody should be embarrassed and offended, it should be him.

A squirrel and a rat are pretty closely related. You'd chase a rat away and not put it in your mouth. Why should he? And you'd probably flip out if the rat jumped up on you too.

Woods

Hamlin.gif
  • SamieJ1959SamieJ1959 Member Posts: 157 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Jack Russell likes to hump people's feet. I have tried everything to get him to stop doing this. It is embarrassing at times. I thought of kicking him where it counts, but I don't want to damage his package. He is not neutered and would make great puppies.

You get out of life what you put into it. If you put nothing, you get nothing.
  • earthmvrearthmvr Member Posts: 473 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If this isn't a reason to be ashamed, I don't know what is.

61b861bf.jpg

4dff19a9.gifc716f163.gif72d96bc6.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by earthmvr
    If this isn't a reason to be ashamed, I don't know what is.

Ohmygod....I laughed so hard I cried. The looks on their faces are the best. "My parents are home!"

• Special OperationsSpecial Operations Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One time, when one of my Labs was a pup, while I was still in college, I had a pretty funny experience.

My girlfriend brough her parakeet over to the house. It was a pretty kewl bird, and she used to leave the cage door open so he could fly around. He talked and everything.

My lab was about 5 months old. She had instinct beyond your wildest imagination. I wound up naming her "moxie", but my buddies used to call her "fetch". She would retrieve ANYTHING.

Well, apparently, when we were out, the bird started flying around, but as usual, he got tired. Normally, he would fly over and land on the curtains, then crawl back up and jump on his cage and go inside. Sometimes, he would get tired and land on the floor. Well, that's what he must have done on this occasion.

I walked in the door and my dog had this CRAZY look on her face. She kept blinking her eyes and looking at me...INTENTLY! I asked her what was going on and she just stood there, blocking my way, tail straight out..and eyes blinking.

I bent over and gently pinched her mouth back by the jaw muscle and she opened up. Low and behold, "Mr. Bird" (that was his name) was sitting there on her tongue, FREAKED OUT, but still okay, soaking wet in Lab slobber!!! He was fine. FREAKED completely out, but fine!

The bird lived for another 11 years, and Moxie for another 14. They were the BEST of friends! Mr. Bird used to ride arond on her back, and she didn't care. When Mox would lay down, he would nip at her feet and she would give him the look like..."remember that day when I almost ate you?" He would back off.

I don't know, but I raised Labradors for years professionally, still have them...and that, to this day, is a pretty amazing thing!!

Only a Lab (I think) could have that patience, instinct and skill. How she didn't kill that bird on that day, I will NEVER know.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sides hurt, good posts.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Tiger6Tiger6 Member Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ranger, the 220 pound, solid black, Great Dane, who was my friend and companion for 13 years, had occasion to meet the neighbors dog one day. Now this neighbor was NOT on my A list, or any list but the one that starts our with Smart *... The neighbors "dog" was a 3 pound (when soaking wet) mix of some French run around and something akin to a furry rat, best I could tell. Now here is Ranger, standing tall and look'en good, by my side as we walked by the neighbors house, when this 3 pound thing cam running out yapping and snarling at us. I was giggling to myself.. yea, ya came out to play wth Ranger did ya! Ranger looking at this furry noise maker trying to fighre out just what it was, let go with a solid Great Dane BARK, letting the fur ball know that we were just pass'en by with no evil intent, but if the game was on, things would be over quickly. I tugged on the leash, and Ranger looked up as if to say, Darn it Dad, I was just being friendly.. While Ranger was looking at me, the 3 pound terror from hell range around and attacked from the rear. Ranger was an "all male" dog, who had not been "fixed".. and the south end of a north bound large male Great Dane evidenced this fact! Yep, sure as the sun rising, that 3 pound thing latched on to Rangers "package." I could tell immediately that something was not right by the look on Rangers face! He spun around, and the Hell Hound just held on tighter! By this time I was wrapped up in leash and being beaten up by Rangers efforts to romove the ill guided 3 pound vampire.. Hours seem to pass filled with every effort known to man and Great Dane to resolve the problem.. and a large number of neighbors had come out to see what was going on... Range rfinally just stood still, real legs spread wide, with 3 pounds of fur hanging down between his legs, several inches off the ground.. "My friend," the owner of the attacker, strode ovr and collected his assasin, and my 220 pound Great Dane, plastered his body to my side, looking around at the neighbor holding the 3 pound monster, both grinning from ear to ear, asking if my dog was OK! Well, Range and I slinked home, him to lick his wounds, and me to figure out a new walking route!

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
    George Orwell

TARGETS UP!
    TIGER6