In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Stucco vs Log vs ??

plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
edited July 2005 in General Discussion
In the next five years I think it is highly likely that River Ghost Ranch will have a "cabin" with comforts. Question I have is what kind of exterior finish will be as maintenance free or low maintenance as possible and still have a nice "rustic" ranch/lodge look.

The current cabin 12 x 16 feet has vinyl siding which requires ZERO upkeep. But, it looks a little "modern".

How does stucco stand up over years of temperatures going from -40 to +100 degrees F?
I like the look of it and I have heard that log finishes need "treatment" nearly every year or so.

Your observations or experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    My wife's former roommate in college got married, moved to Alaska and got a log cabin outside of Fairbanks. They spray it with a varithane type finish about every ten years it's been nearly 40 years that they've lived there. Another friend of ours lives in a subdivision outside of Missoula, MT; same deal, but only about 30 years. Both houses are very low maintenance.

when I was growing up in San Francisco, our house was stucco, and except for the cracks from earthquakes, it was about like any other house, just painting every ten years or so.

Presently we live in a house with 1x12 cedar siding. It's nearly 40 years old, but gets the same deal, painting about every ten years. that seems to be the standard.
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    The stucco seems to be durable but does have a tendency to crack if there is any significant movement in the structure (fairly common in ND) A few around here that were built in the last 5 years have some cracking around the detail work, probably something you wouldn't have a problem with on your structure. The biggest problem is if you decide to change something(eg put in or take out a window)or put an addition on down the road most of the patch work I have seen starts to crack at the seams after a few years. I just don't think there are many people that are accomplished at this skill in our area. You might want to check around to see if any vinyl siding can be found in a "log" pattern. I know I have seen it in masonry and other non-typical patterns. There is also a log cabin in my city that was built 15 or so years ago. I don't believe it has received any additional treatment since it's construction and still looks good, though I don;t know what kind of finish it has.
  • tmault5tmault5 Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to agree with Ray B we built the log home my dad lives in now . you just have to treat the logs about every 10 yrs. no big deal either just spray it on with a garden sprayer.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first choice = Log.

Second choice, there is a "siding" you can get, that looks like river rock. Don't think it ever needs anything.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spray your vinyl siding with camoflage .
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    there are many new composite or synthetic materials out now to fit out a a cabin to match environment or fashion that make style,color,& finish impervious to weather....do it once...do it right
  • stevegsteveg Member Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    where I work all of are buildings are stucco and for the past 2 months we have been doing stucco repairs it is a pain stucco does not stand up go with log
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    I have been restoring a 1850's Log cabin for a couple of years and Log is good a durable. If you dont want to go to the expense and labor of log, for goodness sake dont use a modern material for a cabin. It wont look right in the woods. peel all of the vinyl off and use rough cut poplar vertically or horizotally. Treat it with ( (motor oil,diesel oil, hydralic fluid, or a modern wood preservative) The used oil although dark also is a decent bug deterent. It's the Wood that maakes it Good!
  • sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    use one of the fiber-cement products like Hardi-plank,will last forever just paint it every 20 yrs or so and you can buy it that looks just like the old cedar lap siding boards.just dont breath the dust when cutting it
  • rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    I'm in agreement with the wood sidings. But not because it looks more natural in the woods. It's pretty easy to repair if you sustain any damage. It's easy to keep sprayed with wood treatments and patch if necessary. I prefer the horizontal wood slats, like on the old fashioned homes of the 1700's era. Treated properly, they will last a lifetime with minimal upkeep and the occasional resealing of the wood.

Thanks guys.

My friend is one... who takes me for what I am.
    Henry David Thoreau

"If you do not allow yourself to find a positive way to get through the difficult times, you will become bitter. If you stay bitter, you do not get better." -- Joan Brock