In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Define troll

bigride203bigride203 Member Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2005 in General Discussion
So who can give us a concise definition of what a "troll" really is when it comes to posting on the forum?

Inquiring minds want to know.

You dudes get lost now, ya hear!

Comments

• Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you don't know the answer to that question, you probably are one[}:)][:D]

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The simple definition of a troll is someone who deliberately posts controversial or obnoxious things to prompt angry responses for their own amusement.

Its someone who deliberately pushes peoples buttons. Here is everything you'd ever want to know about "trolling", in a rather academic way:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

troll.jpg
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    roboman

j/k robo[:D][}:)][:D]

nremtpatch.jpgmyoffice.jpgEMT1.jpg

Air goes in and out, blood goes round and round, any variation on this is a bad thing.
    Turret mounted machine guns usually work better than lights and sirens
  • competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    trolls.jpg

"Strength is the outcome of need; security sets a premium on feebleness." -- H.G. Wells (The Time Machine)
  • FreudianSlippersFreudianSlippers Member Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I revived a dead thread!

quote:Troller is looking for a response ... ANY response, and he will chum the waters with complaints, insults, compliments, and inflammatory tidbits hoping that someone ... ANYONE, will take the bait. Generally quite harmless -- practices a form of catch and release. Nonetheless, he can upset the delicate ecology of a discussion forum. Once a forum becomes aware of his presence, however, all feeding activity ceases and Troller must move on to more promising waters.
    troller.jpg

Jacqueline
    www.gratuitouslylongdomainname.net
  • robomanroboman Member Posts: 6,436
    edited November -1
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know an old couple that love to argue, they live to argue. It does not matter one iota what the subject is. They will brow-beat you until you give in or kill yourself. If you capitulate, they will then slowly change sides in the argument, just to keep it going. If you hate Bush, they will argue till the cows come home on his merits. When you finally say "your right Kerry would have been better" they will say hold on a minute and point out his duck hunt or some other screw up he did. It NEVER ends.

They are in their 80's and have no idea that a computer forum word was named after them.
  • rimfire72rimfire72 Member Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by competentone
    trolls.jpg

"Strength is the outcome of need; security sets a premium on feebleness." -- H.G. Wells (The Time Machine)

That sounds more like a Democrat than a troll. Are they the same thing?

buycoolshirts_1825_31216154.jpg
  • kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    quote:That sounds more like a Democrat than a troll. Are they the same thing?

Quite often, YES![;)]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Hmmmmm. Certain initials come to mind. So they don't just live under bridges? I green meadows also.[}:)]

My friend is one... who takes me for what I am.
    Henry David Thoreau

"If you do not allow yourself to find a positive way to get through the difficult times, you will become bitter. If you stay bitter, you do not get better." -- Joan Brock