In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

War On Terror Could Prolong Stress Disorders

Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
edited June 2005 in General Discussion
Lexington (KY) Herald-Leader
June 28, 2005

War On Terror Could Prolong Stress Disorders

By Associated Press

FORT KNOX - A psychologist at Fort Knox says the war on terrorism is ripe for prolonging post-traumatic stress disorder in soldiers.

"When they come back, they don't feel safe here, either," said Col. Susan Rogers, a psychologist who runs the behavioral health clinic at Fort Knox's hospital. "That's one of the prime symptoms, and they can be triggered by anything from a car going by to thunder and lightning storms."

Veterans returning from Iraq have increased the amount of such cases at Fort Knox and Fort Campbell and at Department of Veterans Affairs hospitals in Louisville and Lexington, according to doctors and psychologists. Officials at Fort Knox and Fort Campbell would not disclose exact numbers.

The post-traumatic stress disorder clinic for the Louisville Veterans Affairs Medical Center has been expanded in the past year to accommodate the influx, and a 20-bed inpatient facility for veterans with the disorder opened earlier this year at the VA hospital in Lexington.

At Lexington's VA hospital, 316 veterans with the disorder made 4,550 visits to the outpatient clinic last year, up from 264 veterans who made 3,920 visits in 2002, the year before the war began, said spokeswoman Desti Stimes.

Tens of thousands of the roughly 525,000 soldiers the Pentagon says have served in Iraq or Afghanistan are expected to face symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), according to a study of 1,709 soldiers and Marines who returned from the wars last year.

The study, reported last year in the New England Journal of Medicine, found that 18 percent of the soldiers and 20 percent of the Marines met the broad criteria for the disorder. The study was conducted three to four months after the troops returned from Iraq.

About 13 percent of the soldiers and 12 percent of the Marines reported that the disorder had substantially interfered with their daily lives. Signs of other mental problems, such as anxiety and major depression, were present as well, the study said.

Samantha Hughes says her husband, Army Capt. K.C. Hughes, has violent nightmares about an ambush in Iraq that killed two of his men and put a bullet in his back.

K.C. Hughes said Samantha, 25, told him that he would push her aside when she tried to wake him.

"That's the primary reason I went to get help. I didn't want to hurt my wife," said Hughes, 26, a West Point graduate.

Hughes credits Army doctors and the chance to talk openly about the May 2003 ambush for making his nightmares less frequent.

Hughes spent about five months stateside recovering from his injuries, but was back with his unit in Iraq by November 2003.

This month, he took command of his first company-sized unit at Fort Knox. He said that seeking help has been critical to getting his life back, though he expects never to be entirely free of the disorder.

NSDQ!
www.nightstalkers.com

DropRopes.jpg

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -- John Stewart Mill

Comments

• Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Of course it's going to prolong stress disorders - because "terrorism" is a foe that cannot be beaten. It would be like defeating flanking maneuvers. Terrorism is a tactic, not a nation, not an ideology, and most certainly not any sort of entity.

I mean, who here thinks that once Iraq is over, for good or ill, that any enemy we face won't be using IEDs? Who here thinks that hostage-taking will cease forever with the fighting in Baghdad? With the conclusion of the war in Iraq, do we honestly believe the phenomena of the drive-by shooting, car bomb, and sniper will magically disappear?

Somehow, I don't think so. And apparently neither do the folks returning from Iraq.
  • Options
    HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    EMM: But I heard Mr. Bush last night say we would stay the course and defeat terrorism because we are the good guys and they are the bad guys. So there. [}:)][;)]

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." Winston Churchill

volenti non fit injuria
  • Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would like to ask a question to the last two posters. If not fight it, what do we do?
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never understood PTSD as a psychological disorder, nor its specific connection with combat. It seems to me that whether one suffers the emotional trauma of watching one's only child run over by a bus or watching one's own squad leader turned into a four-cheese pizza, the precipitate is the same, i.e., a response to a very horrific event. And I think such people have every right to be upset, and to be upset for a long, long time, maybe forever. In fact, it would be pathological not to be upset. So why is this called a disorder? Likely because of the coping behaviors that ensue, similar to those clastrophobes use to avoid elevators. So what? Do you tell them that the war is over, so there's no need to push your wife away or jump when you hear a loud noise? And what is a discussion group supposed to do about it? Tell you to look on the sunny side? Let you share your feelings with a bunch of others who God has also decided to squat brown all over in this lifetime in hopes that a lessening will be forthcoming? The only problem I have with PTSD is when the sufferer complains even when he has not undergone trauma adequate to the response (i.e., "Doc, I have nightmares and quiet makes me real nervous. I remember days in Basrah when I could hear explosions in the distance and the internet would go down for hours and the MTV videos were all reruns and my old lady stopped writin' me 'cuz she's boffin' the mailman, and...").
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ContacFront: Do? Do? Do what that other Great Republican, Richard Milhous Nixon did when faced with the same problem--declare victory and get our troops out of the country. Then perhaps we won't see the specter of our helos flying out from the Embassy. [;)][}:)]

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." Winston Churchill

volenti non fit injuria
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ContacFront,

Declaring war on terrorism is a little like shooting the Gulf of Mexico with a bazooka because you hate water pollution.

You go after the root causes of it to minimize both its occurence and impact.

What you DO NOT do is create a mess for yourself, half-@$$ the clean-up effort, and provide training for the bad guy. Every day we sit around in Iraq, we provide our enemies the world round with more data on how to kill our men and women, how to push our nation's endurance to its limits, and how to increase the costs to us while minimizing effort expended.

Latest estimate on the Iraqi insurgency - 16,000.

Current U.S. troop strength: 135,000+.

By those numbers we have told the world that even outnumbering the enemy over 8 to 1, we still cannot bring order and stability to a territory the size of California.

We are not waging a war on terror in Iraq. We are having our bluff called.
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    My brother reported home that he was pi$$ed of that they were not going to be allowed to finish the job while we had them on their backs. The job should have been finished then.

Everyone is somebody's "weirdo".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    rcrxs old lady: quote:My brother reported home that he was pi$$ed of that they were not going to be allowed to finish the job while we had them on their backs. The job should have been finished then. When was this? Desert Storm?

volenti non fit injuria
  • Options
    edited November -1
    rcrxs old lady,

I know how your brother feels. Whether or not he's talking about Afghanistan, it's an apt way to feel about out latest "forgotten war."